Door-to-Door as Only Option?

ggo85

We're looking to book a cruise for 2025.  For the categories we're considering, the only price option is door-to-door.  We already know that their limo service doesn't cover our area.  We want to book our own air as we have plenty of miles that we want to use rather than pay for airfare.  Is port-to-port an option if we ask?  If not, we'll probably choose another line.

33 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

Is port-to-port an option if we ask?

There's only one way to find out.

Technically it is possible, whether they will do it is another matter. I swapped a D2D to P2P earlier this year and the agent had to manually remove the additional D2D items - so it can be done.

59 minutes ago, drron29 said:

We always book door to door without flights, transfers and pre cruise hotel. They have always done this for us. Then we still have the better cancellation coverage.

Whilst I agree with the better cancellation cover there is still a significant difference in price between D2D without flights and P2P. Also some grades of suite are not advertised as being available as P2P

19 minutes ago, david63 said:

Whilst I agree with the better cancellation cover there is still a significant difference in price between D2D without flights and P2P. Also some grades of suite are not advertised as being available as P2P

Unfortunately, that’s just the way it is.  I guess Silversea can choose to price their products any way that they want to.  For some reason, they seem to ‘like’ D2D with or without air and ground more than P2P. I wish the pricing was a little different. We always choose D2D without flights and ground.  It works better for us, even if it ends of costing more.  But everyone needs to make the best choice for themselves.  So what works for us may not work for someone else.  Totally understandable.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, david63 said:

If the cabin I want is available as P2P and DW and I are both sold on the itinerary and timing, I book P2P with the prepayment discount – which covers the cost of travel insurance.  I can't change my mind about the cruise, but if we're really unable to go the insurance will cover all our costs.  That's flexible enough for me.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

If the cabin I want is available as P2P and DW and I are both sold on the itinerary and timing, I book P2P with the prepayment discount – which covers the cost of travel insurance.  I can't change my mind about the cruise, but if we're really unable to go the insurance will cover all our costs.  That's flexible enough for me.

That is a great way to look at it as long as the cabins offered are acceptable. I have been booking D2D without flights and looked at the price difference as the cost of a refundable deposit. I had not considered using travel insurance to cover the difference and I do buy it anyway. Thanks!

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This is exactly the way we do it when booking Silversea cruises.

That sounds like a good strategy with one caveat to consider.  Travel insurance does not typically cover ‘cancel for no reason’.  There are generally pretty strict guidelines about what it will or will not cover.  If that’s not a concern, then this makes perfect sense.

Edited by Bronxchihuahua