About that cruise account hold…

CruiseMark

I know that HAL puts a hold on your credit card for $30/day. I normally do 7 day cruises, so it’s no big deal. 

But next year I’m taking a longer cruise and that $30/day really adds up.  I’ve heard that you can have that amount either reduced or taken off if you go to Guest Services. Is that true? Has anyone done that?

(Please refrain from snarky comments about how I should have $25,000 in credit, just in case. Not all of us are so fortunate and I have insurance for emergencies)

It has been reported on this forum that you can deliver cash to the general office on ship upon checkin to have the amount reduced or totally averted.   I have no personal experience 

No snark from me, I don’t allow large credit balances on credit cards, it just seems foolhardy unless one has a specific need 

I often email HAL these questions if the cruise is a few months away.  Usually the emails get a thoughtful response as you are being given a written record. 

Edited by Mary229

1 hour ago, CruiseMark said:

Please refrain from snarky comments about how I should have $25,000 in credit, just in case. Not all of us are so fortunate and I have insurance for emergencies)

No snark from me but I just want to warn you.  I too have insurance however when I was medically disembarked the hospital would not admit me without putting a hold on my credit card for a substantial amount while they awaited the insurance company’s authorization.   If I had not had enough room on my credit card, I’m not sure what would have happened.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I believe the hold is still $60 / person / day for cruises under 30 days, and $30 / person / day for cruises 30 days and over.

I always have an amount of OBC on my account before the cruise begins due to Stockholder/Military etc and Travel Agent credit. Because of that, I check the box marked cash when checking in online. In the past I have been asked for a card at physical check in, but told the rep that I had enough OBC and was advised to check with the front desk. After verifying on the TV or app that I had my OBC in place, I don't go to the front desk. I haven't been asked about the amount, but I generally have close to the hold amount in OBC in place. At the end of the cruise any refundable OBC has been returned.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I believe the hold is still $60 / person / day for cruises under 30 days, and $30 / person / day for cruises 30 days and over.

I always have an amount of OBC on my account before the cruise begins due to Stockholder/Military etc and Travel Agent credit. Because of that, I check the box marked cash when checking in online. In the past I have been asked for a card at physical check in, but told the rep that I had enough OBC and was advised to check with the front desk. After verifying on the TV or app that I had my OBC in place, I don't go to the front desk. I haven't been asked about the amount, but I generally have close to the hold amount in OBC in place. At the end of the cruise any refundable OBC has been returned.

Not anymore. They changed it to $30 pp/pd a couple of months ago. This from the FAQ on the HAL website:  

IMG_0800.png

Just remember that a hold is not a charge. It's a reserve against your available credit. It does reduce your available credit on the card, but it does not charge you. Charges post at the end of the voyage. On longer sailings, they may do periodic charges throughout the cruise, if you have spent your hold amount.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 2

Perhaps registering more than one credit card could be a solution.  IIRC during my recent cruise online check in did allow you the option to register a different card for each passenger.  This would seem to suggest to me that even if sailing solo you could use more than one credit card.

Yes, you can use more than 1 card. And doing as @richwmn suggests of leaving it as cash unless/until your OBC runs low/out works. Currently onboard and have not registered a card. I checked "cash" during online registration and when asked during check in, I confirmed I was using cash. The person reminded me to visit GS and onboard I went.

I do this every cruise. If OBC reaches a low level or I know I will be spending more than what's left, at that time, I either give them a card or cash to cover the amount I think I'll need (depending on how I want to handle my account). Only once, when my OBC hit a very low level (under $20), did I receive a call from GS asking me to take care of my account; that was not this cruise - I've learned to pay attention to my balance, lol.

You can also switch cards from the one you registered if want want/need to.

• Like 2