NCL Epic only in Mykonos 7am - 2pm, any private tours to Delos that meet those times?

Alatraveler1

How convenient for NCL that the port stop is not long enough for one of the most popular things to do here UNLESS you choose the $$$ ship excursion that leaves and returns in time to catch the ship.  The ships excursion is 3X the price of private excursions, however private trips I can find leave at or after 10 am and return no earlier than 130pm which risks missing the ships departure.  Does anyone know of a way/private tour company that begins their tour before 10 am which would allow us to visit Delos during our stop?

I'm pretty sure that all the tours use the same boats.  For my cruise in May (on Royal Caribbean), our cruise excursions did indeed get to the island first before ANY public boats or private tours.  We left from a dock near the docked ship.  While we were touring Delos, the boat that brought us to Delos went back to Mykonos and served as the first public transport boat for individual travelers and those on tours (I assume).  They brought those people to Delos and then took our ship excursion groups back to Mykonos.  I don't recall seeing any private tour boats in the process.

That is what I am afraid of, the only "early" boat will be the ones handling passengers for the $$$ ship excursion.  They will be able to arrive, tour and depart in time for the 2pm departure.  Others will not be able to catch the second trip over to Delos, tour and get back in time.  I was hoping someone would know of a smaller boat tour or someone not servicing the cruise companies who could arrange a tour within timeframes necessary for independent tourers to make it work?

Booking your ship's Delos excursion may cost more, but you will be in one of the first groups to get off the ship. With such limited time in port and being able to tour Delos and get back in time, it may be your only stress-free choice. You also have to deal with the ferry schedules as well if you book other tours. We chose our ship's excursion for similar reasons. It would be a shame to miss seeing Delos. Perhaps you have more economical options with your other port excursions to offset the cost?

On 12/10/2023 at 9:44 PM, Alatraveler1 said:

Does anyone know of a way/private tour company that begins their tour before 10 am which would allow us to visit Delos during our stop?

Have you thought to check with fellow cruisers on your Roll Call in case any of them have come up with alternatives to the NCL shorex?  Might be worth a try.

Also depending on where your tender goes, it may be better anyway to take the ship excursion because the ferry boat docks right by there.  Some ship’s tenders go directly to town, but ours went to Mykonos port, which would require you to take a shuttle to town to catch the ferry to Delos. Our ship excursion left directly from Mykonos port saving the time. With time at a premium sometimes it’s just better to do a ship excursion. 

Edited by dcbiker97

Hi alatraveler1,

I think we are on the same cruise.  With such a short time in port, I've decided to simply walk around the town and maybe grab lunch somewhere.  I'm afraid that with having to be back on ship by 1:00, there isn't really enough time to do much else 😌

8 hours ago, prekcruiser said:

Hi alatraveler1,

I think we are on the same cruise.  With such a short time in port, I've decided to simply walk around the town and maybe grab lunch somewhere.  I'm afraid that with having to be back on ship by 1:00, there isn't really enough time to do much else 😌

Agree, we aren't too thrilled with the short port time.  Beach clubs aren't our thing and Delos would have been interesting.  Might even be a quick walk ashore for us as well and then back on the ship for lunch.  We have some good excursions for other ports booked so this might just have to be a glorified rest day for us.

2 hours ago, Alatraveler1 said:

Agree, we aren't too thrilled with the short port time.  Beach clubs aren't our thing and Delos would have been interesting.  Might even be a quick walk ashore for us as well and then back on the ship for lunch.  We have some good excursions for other ports booked so this might just have to be a glorified rest day for us.

If it's your one and only chance to see Delos, pay for the excursion. It's a lot cheaper than either a) the regret of not seeing it or b) the expense of returning.

• Like 2