Food not on ship menu’s

lenquixote66

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have a longtime close friend who has relatives in HBG.I recall about 50 years ago her family going every summer to visit them. One of her cousins was a high-ranking Police Officer.

In many ways it is a nice place to live. Close to a couple of large cities but also has beautiful nature all around. We can be in NYC by train in a couple of hours--we even went to NJ cruise port by train from home. 

7 minutes ago, CntPAcruiser said:

In many ways it is a nice place to live. Close to a couple of large cities but also has beautiful nature all around. We can be in NYC by train in a couple of hours--we even went to NJ cruise port by train from home. 

That is wonderful😀

3 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

We also live in the Harrisburg area (since 1973).  When we retired, we thought about moving south but decided we were quite happy to stay in Central PA and use it as a base for our worldwide travel habit :).  The thing about living in PA is that our State does not tax pensions or social security and our property taxes are relatively inexpensive.  US News and World Report recently ranked Harrisburg as the #1 "Best Place to Retire in the US."  After having a laugh about that ranking, we realized that some things are best left unsaid (and unpublicized). 

We do have family (including grandchildren) in NYC and routinely drive into the city (for a few days).  But we are quite happy to get back on the other side of the Holland Tunnel :).

Hank

20 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We also live in the Harrisburg area (since 1973).  When we retired, we thought about moving south but decided we were quite happy to stay in Central PA and use it as a base for our worldwide travel habit :).  The thing about living in PA is that our State does not tax pensions or social security and our property taxes are relatively inexpensive.  US News and World Report recently ranked Harrisburg as the #1 "Best Place to Retire in the US."  After having a laugh about that ranking, we realized that some things are best left unsaid (and unpublicized). 

We do have family (including grandchildren) in NYC and routinely drive into the city (for a few days).  But we are quite happy to get back on the other side of the Holland Tunnel :).

Hank

After graduating HS I had a summer job in NYC.The President of the company asked if I would consider working there in lieu of going to college.

They were moving to Valley Forge,PA and in addition to offering a raise in salary offered free housing for at least one year.

As much as I was tempted at age 18 I opted not to accept.

In the Queen's Grill of any Cunard ship, everything is off the menu. The head water greets you at lunch and asks you what you want. If they have the ingredients, they will make it for you.

On smaller upscale lines, like Regent, Seabourn and Silversea, you can order off the menu by asking the head waiter a day ahead of time. 

• 3 weeks later...

Technically, I can say that we have never requested an off-menu item, but I do have a pretty cute story.

About 20 years ago we took a cruise that embarked from Valparaiso, Chile cruised the West Coast of South America through the Panama Canal to Fort Lauderdale.  Over the previous 30 years we had cruised five or six times, and, so, we, generally, knew the routine.  One thing that was very different about this cruise was that for the first time we were on a ship that had a specialty restaurant.  This seemed very intriguing to us and we decided to check it out one evening.  Well, we liked it.  Over course we ate there several evenings.  We found the service staff--many of whom were South American--to be very engaging, and we had a great time bantering with them.  On about our fourth visit to the restaurant we were chatting with our server towards the end of the meal, and my wife mentioned that she was surprised that on a South America cruise Ceviche was never on the menu, either in the dining room or in the restaurant.  As we were leaving the table that server stopped us.  He had spoken to the chef, and he told us if we came back the next even, we could have Ceviche.

We met with the headwaiter on the way out and made reservations for the next evening.  It wasn't on the menu, but, sure enough, they had Ceviche for us.

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2024 at 7:02 PM, CntPAcruiser said:

The quoted message includes "Indiana" instead of Indian, hence Pennsylvania. I live in Pennsylvania and I don't recommend it. In Central PA they add tons of sugar to everything: salads, sauces, even sausage!

I do stay away from salads in Pennsylvania but I enjoy most of their country style rustic food.  it's much better than Maryland restaurants 

On 3/23/2024 at 11:26 AM, Seamus6 said:

I do stay away from salads in Pennsylvania but I enjoy most of their country style rustic food.  it's much better than Maryland restaurants 

I have been to some very good restaurants in Baltimore.One not too far from the cruise port possibly owned by Boog Powell.