Magic at Christmas

SpainAlien

Having just completed another lovely Christmas at home for the whole family my husband and I feel it's time to plan a trip away for next Christmas, just the two of us.  We have never done a holiday sailing before and we are just curious what we could expect on Carnival Magic out of Miami, will it be heaving with rowdy kids or just full of happy families celebrating together? Will the food be worthy of the celebration? Will there be any special events onboard?

Your input would be very much appreciated  

There will be lots of families as @mz-s says.  Will they be well behaved and happy? Your guess is as good as mine.  We used to sail Thanksgiving as a family when our kids were young. I certainly don't remember 'rowdy'. And I very much appreciated that our kids had many other teens to meet and hang with for the week.

Here's what I do know. The ship will be crowded and the cruise will be expensive. We sailed during the holidays then because we had to as we were not parents willing to take our kids out of school. As a retired couple these days, we now avoid those school breaks like the plague. (Just kidding but only a little.)

I see that you might be coming from Spain. Why don't you plan on a 'Christmas present' to each other in early December or mid January instead? Less hassle, lower airfare and cruise fare, and more relaxing. Just my 2 cents.  Enjoy whatever you decide.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, jsglow said:

There will be lots of families as @mz-s says.  Will they be well behaved and happy? Your guess is as good as mine.  We used to sail Thanksgiving as a family when our kids were young. I certainly don't remember 'rowdy'. And I very much appreciated that our kids had many other teens to meet and hang with for the week.

Here's what I do know. The ship will be crowded and the cruise will be expensive. We sailed during the holidays then because we had to as we were not parents willing to take our kids out of school. As a retired couple these days, we now avoid those school breaks like the plague. (Just kidding but only a little.)

I see that you might be coming from Spain. Why don't you plan on a 'Christmas present' to each other in early December or mid January instead? Less hassle, lower airfare and cruise fare, and more relaxing. Just my 2 cents.  Enjoy whatever you decide.

Thank you for your input.

We both work so the Christmas week is easier to take time off and if we are here we will end up hosting Christmas (again). The elders of the family are still capable of taking themselves off to a restaurant for Christmas day, the younger ones now have a baby of their own who will be 1 year old next year so they will enjoy a Christmas at home instead of having to come to us. We just thought it might be nice to be in the sun with a drinks package, no cooking and no washing up for once

I am curious to know if there are any events, carol singing, grinch appearances, etc

I have never sailed during Christmas week. They will likely have a special Christmas dinner and certainly all the decorations are up for the entire month. But honestly, not too much is done out of the ordinary.  Think of things like an 'ugly Christmas sweater' contest, etc. Hopefully someone who sailed this week can chime in.

• Like 1

It's been over a decade since I cruised over Christmas so I don't know what it looks like now, but back then they did do a special meal in the dining room and caroling. I don't recall the Grinch appearing. They had a menorah in the atrium and lit it every night. Very busy and crowded ship. I remember the line for burgers being backed up past the pool. Lots of kids and families. I will personally never cruise over Christmas again.

I am able to cruise during the shoulder season when prices are lower and there are fewer kids, so that is when I prefer to cruise.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 3

I cruised in the past month, and the Christmas festivities for the general holiday season are nothing special.  Not that I am complaining; I am not a huge Christmas person like some people are, and I thought they were fine.

The Christmas decorations were basically decorated trees on all of the stages and garlands hung on each level of the atrium.  They were lovely, but there was no "wow" factor that some people might want.

They played Christmas music over the PA system, but not every single song.  I believe the Grinch made an appearance at the Seuss breakfast (I heard the theme song being played while I was at Seaday Brunch, and the Seuss breakfast was being held upstairs) but I didn't see him anywhere on the ship.  

I am guessing that there are a few extras for the actual Christmas cruise, but other than a special dinner and an extra program or two, I don't think it is going to be much.

TLDR; If you are expecting Christmas on Carnival to be some sort of special, magical experience, you will be disappointed. As an adult with no young children in tow, I would go at another time when it is far less expensive and less overtaken with kids and teens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpainAlien said:

I am curious to know if there are any events, carol singing, grinch appearances, etc

I just got off the Christmas cruise on the Valor. There were holiday activities every day. I thought it was a ton of fun. There was caroling in the atrium more than once. Grinch made several appearances throughout the ship. Santa appeared and the kids were allowed to sit with him (and get pics taken of course). The tree lighting ceremony. Falling snow in the Atrium. Special Christmas dinner. Ugly sweater contest. Holiday trivia. Holiday karoke. Christmas crafts. There was probably more, that's just all I can recall off the top of my head. If the Saint Greg site has any fun times posted for December you can check out the activities for yourself. I still need to upload mine. 

Not the greatest picture but here is the caroling and snow falling in the Atrium. image.thumb.png.46f1a379aa8d4cf8a9055fe38e2d8245.png

• Thanks 1