Auckland hotel recommendations

floridababa

37 minutes ago, floridababa said:

Any places a must to see?

I am generally reluctant to list “must see” places as what I think is great is dull to others a vice versa.  I will say that the War Memorial has some excellent Māori items and history.  We didn’t, but I think the ferry ride and a walk in Davenport would be nice.

suggest that you study a Google map for sightseeing and organize what you want to see 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PasadenaDave said:

I am generally reluctant to list “must see” places as what I think is great is dull to others a vice versa.  I will say that the War Memorial has some excellent Māori items and history.  We didn’t, but I think the ferry ride and a walk in Davenport would be nice.

suggest that you study a Google map for sightseeing and organize what you want to see 

I second a visit to Davenport. Also take a look at Waiheke, another ferry ride and vineyards at the destination. 

• Thanks 1

The ferry to Devonport is a lovely way to spend a few hours. Devonport is full of interesting, historical buildings and there are plenty of cafes and restaurants to enjoy a coffee or meal.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2023 at 4:55 PM, boeckli said:

I second a visit to Davenport. Also take a look at Waiheke, another ferry ride and vineyards at the destination. 

Ki Maha restaurant recommended to us at Waiheke was a highlight of our Auckland visit. The entrees were so good, We shared seven!  Ferry from Auckland to Waiheke, then bus stops at the restaurant door. After lunch, We caught bus for good shopping at neighbouring town, plus a walk along the beach, then 7 pm twilight ferry back to Auckland.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

We stayed at the M Social near the wharf just a few weeks ago. It was our favorite accommodation. Close to shopping and the isite (for information), for trips into the gulf and the ferries. The bed was very comfortable, and we particularly enjoyed the robot "Hari" who delivered a few items to our room. 

• Like 1

Another vote for the M Social. We stayed for 5 nights and really enjoyed our stay, although there was not a lot of storage space in the room so we were never really able to unpack. Great location if you are sailing from Princes Wharf, which is literally just across the street. Good location also for sightseeing and public transportation and there are plenty of restaurants in the area.

As for things to do ... I recommend the Maritime Museum which is just a 2-minute walk. Since you are there for 4 days, try to pre-book a sail on the museum's Ted Ashby; this is a one-hour trip on a heritage sailboat that will allow you to view the harbour from the water and sail under the Auckland Harbour Bridge.  Photo below taken from on board the Ted Ashby as it was leaving the museum -- shows Princes Wharf on the left and the M Social on the right (it's the low-rise building; you can see the green "L" of the hotel name). 

DSC_0056.JPG

• Like 2

We've stayed at the Auckland Waterfront Serviced Apartments a couple of times. They are on Princes Wharf, direct opposite the Hilton - really great if your ship docks at Princes Wharf instead on Queens Wharf. They are lovely one bedroom apartments with great views over the harbour towards the Harbour Bridge. Full kitchen plus a washing machine and dryer in the smallish bathroom.