Europe river cruising with kids (early/mid 20 year olds)

shrimpmom

16 hours ago, sjde said:

I've been on 7 river cruises (Grand Circle, AMA, Teeming and Viking) and I'd suggest Grand Circle (if twin beds are ok with you) or Gate 1. We have seen people younger than 40 on only 3 cruises-a family with 2 teen girls, a grandma with her high school graduate grandson, and a family of 11 Filipinos, 3 generations, some from the US and some from the Philippines, where there were 2 college aged ones.

As noted in my response previously, my experience was completely different. I've been on 3 Ama cruises, and 1 GC. 2 of the Ama ones were a B2B "Grand Danube" on AmaMagna. it was understandable that there wouldn't be any kids on those. But the other Ama was Rives and Castles, and not only did we bring kids in our family group, but there were many families and family groups, 2 of which were larger than ours. There were people of all ages on that one.

The GC one also had multiple families, and people of all ages. Not as many or diverse as the Ama one, but still. And on both of those cruises, no one ever seemed bored.

Only two of my seven river cruises were in the summer so that could be why there were no kids . The time there was a family with teen girls was in August. 

Honestly, I think most teens would be just fine with touring Europe in any form or fashion.  Yes, they can be moody (mom of 4 here, youngest just now 18) but overall even when cranky, they generally appreciate the trip afterwards.  All in all, our kids have really enjoyed traveling.  The one trip where one 16yo kid was especially prickly (a national parks trip to the Pacific NW) she told me a year later how much she enjoyed it and wanted to see more parks. LOL  

And truly, these kids are WAY closer to world history classes than I am.  I learned all about the Hanseatic League from my 16 yos on our Baltic cruise.

It’s seriously uncool to be seen enjoying yourself with your parents but then I had the most wonderful parents. My first trip to Europe I was just 14 (1962) a school trip, my mother had then only been to the Isle of Wight. I went the next year a bit further to Austria another school trip. The next year was the first big one myself my best friend(still) on our scooters down to Spain. I will forever be so grateful that my parents said yes you can go. I know these days (it’s horrible to have to say this) you’ll feel safer having them with you but you’ll build up memories that will last for years. Our family trip to the States just pre covid was a repeat of trips we took the girls on but this time for our grandson and son in laws. Take them and enjoy but please make sure there of an age that ensures it means something.

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

make sure there of an age that ensures it means something.

Meaning "old enough" to... what exactly?  While probably a toddler has no clue where you take them, even younger kids can develop a better idea of the wider world.  My youngest was 6 when we started to really travel internationally.  We live in a very small, rural town.  Many people here never leave the state.  What he saw when we traveled - the vast array of different types of towns, houses, transportation, cafes, stores. Museums, old castles, different foods.  All accompanied by experiences with locals that by and large went very well.  I'd like to believe he grew up absolutely knowing there is so much more to the world than his small country town.  That just because someone does something one way, that's not the only way to do it.  That being different from what you're used to is not bad, just...different.  I think more people could do with understanding this this.

He's 18 now and has a deep passion for history and geography.

I quite agree but I believe the USA has one of the lowest holders of passports per capita. I’m not knocking that but for instance getting my DH to wait until our Grandson could really enjoy Disney full on was quite a task. As Paris has nothing on Florida, and here we go how to start an inter states contra taunt, has nothing on California, I know Florida is bigger but there’s just something about California. Age is a thing that many consider when holidaying, for years I worked with youngsters through the Guide & Scout Association these kids are sponges. For a river cruise from young teens upwards unless it’s specifically aimed at younger but then that’s my humble opinion.

Oh totally.  My kids would not have done well on a river cruise until 10-12.  They would have needed more room to move and be loud, let loose some night time energy.  But international travel, in general, is good at almost any age of kid.

On 1/16/2024 at 5:51 AM, ljandgb said:

Meaning "old enough" to... what exactly?  While probably a toddler has no clue where you take them, even younger kids can develop a better idea of the wider world.  My youngest was 6 when we started to really travel internationally.  We live in a very small, rural town.  Many people here never leave the state.  What he saw when we traveled - the vast array of different types of towns, houses, transportation, cafes, stores. Museums, old castles, different foods.  All accompanied by experiences with locals that by and large went very well.  I'd like to believe he grew up absolutely knowing there is so much more to the world than his small country town.  That just because someone does something one way, that's not the only way to do it.  That being different from what you're used to is not bad, just...different.  I think more people could do with understanding this this.

He's 18 now and has a deep passion for history and geography.

Our children also traveled extensively from a young elementary school age and it has benefited them tremendously in all aspects of their adult life.

i truly believe that if more people would travel and meet those of other cultures and mindsets, our world would be a much better place of peace and understanding

• Like 3

On 1/16/2024 at 1:30 PM, ljandgb said:

Oh totally.  My kids would not have done well on a river cruise until 10-12.  They would have needed more room to move and be loud, let loose some night time energy.  But international travel, in general, is good at almost any age of kid.

Hah, this was my 19 and 22 year old daughter, they still need to burn off energy.  We were on an AMS-BUD cruise with them, several times there were playgrounds with zipline features.  We had a fun playing on one of them, the girls told some of the crew members about it (we were docked late that night).  The next morning at breakfast a server came over to say thanks, they had so much FUN!