Lanzarote Experience Tour-Angela Tejera-Dec. 24, 2023

We just returned from a cruise to the Canary Islands on the Celebrity Infinity. I wanted to recommend a tour given by Angela Tejera, owner of Lanzarote Experience Tours. We booked our tour through ToursByLocals. I did not know ahead of time that Angela owned the company. Her adult children are also tour guides for the company. We booked a private family tour similar to the group tour offered by the cruise ship. I had little to no expectations for this tour as I was not overly excited to visit Timanfaya Park or visit volcanoes in general. Timanfaya was incredible, however. I am pretty sure it's the closest I will ever come to stepping on what felt like another planet. I can see why movies are filmed here. Angela was able to navigate us through the hordes of tourists at the park. She told us stories of how she came here as a child and her mother cooked over the heat steaming up from the holes in the ground. The park rangers all knew her and seemed to like her. She gave us plenty of space on the tour (which I love) and time to get a quick coffee/snack in the cafe at the park as a family. We rode camels on the outskirts of the park. The camel drivers from Morocco were quite a hoot, guiding the camel caravan along by the sound of their voice. 

We went to another lookout point over the sea and were able to take some great photos and admire the beautiful natural landscape of Lanzarote. Since it was Christmas Eve, Angela told us about the traditions in Lanzarote and took us to a spot to show us the miniature villages that are created. In each of these minatures, a nativity is added. Each neighborhood does this tradition, recreating their own neighborhood with a nativity inside. We spotted them twice more on tour stops along the way. 

Our final stop was the winery. We were able to sample Canarian wine and see the unique way grapes are grown in this region. It was amazing to both see and hear how resourceful these people are! Angela knows the region well as her family has been here for generations. She was happy to answer questions along the way. She had a nice, clean and comfortable van.

Our private tour was $510 USD for a 5 hour tour for our party of 5. She was waiting for us 30 minutes ahead of time at the port. (We are always early). We were dropped off on time at the cruise port.

Here are the exact details from the Tours by Locals page. It was customizable though. We just chose to go the basic route. I think it's a great "Taste of Lanzarote" itinerary for first time visitors.

Pick up at the cruise terminal in Arrecife
Stop 1 - Los Hevideros
Stop 2 - El Golfo volcano
Stop 3 - Timanfaya National Park
Stop 4 - Camel park
Stop 5 - La Geria, the wine district
Return to the cruise ship

I wanted to review this tour as I could not find much on CC for this island. If we ever go back, I would not hesitate to contact Angela for recommendations on other parts of the island. She does not know I am writing this review. Happy travel planning! 

• Like 2

On 1/5/2024 at 3:25 PM, BlueSkiesTX said:

We just returned from a cruise to the Canary Islands on the Celebrity Infinity. I wanted to recommend a tour given by Angela Tejera, owner of Lanzarote Experience Tours. We booked our tour through ToursByLocals. I did not know ahead of time that Angela owned the company. Her adult children are also tour guides for the company. We booked a private family tour similar to the group tour offered by the cruise ship. I had little to no expectations for this tour as I was not overly excited to visit Timanfaya Park or visit volcanoes in general. Timanfaya was incredible, however. I am pretty sure it's the closest I will ever come to stepping on what felt like another planet. I can see why movies are filmed here. Angela was able to navigate us through the hordes of tourists at the park. She told us stories of how she came here as a child and her mother cooked over the heat steaming up from the holes in the ground. The park rangers all knew her and seemed to like her. She gave us plenty of space on the tour (which I love) and time to get a quick coffee/snack in the cafe at the park as a family. We rode camels on the outskirts of the park. The camel drivers from Morocco were quite a hoot, guiding the camel caravan along by the sound of their voice. 

We went to another lookout point over the sea and were able to take some great photos and admire the beautiful natural landscape of Lanzarote. Since it was Christmas Eve, Angela told us about the traditions in Lanzarote and took us to a spot to show us the miniature villages that are created. In each of these minatures, a nativity is added. Each neighborhood does this tradition, recreating their own neighborhood with a nativity inside. We spotted them twice more on tour stops along the way. 

Our final stop was the winery. We were able to sample Canarian wine and see the unique way grapes are grown in this region. It was amazing to both see and hear how resourceful these people are! Angela knows the region well as her family has been here for generations. She was happy to answer questions along the way. She had a nice, clean and comfortable van.

Our private tour was $510 USD for a 5 hour tour for our party of 5. She was waiting for us 30 minutes ahead of time at the port. (We are always early). We were dropped off on time at the cruise port.

Here are the exact details from the Tours by Locals page. It was customizable though. We just chose to go the basic route. I think it's a great "Taste of Lanzarote" itinerary for first time visitors.

Stop 1 - Los Hevideros
Stop 4 - Camel park

I wanted to review this tour as I could not find much on CC for this island. If we ever go back, I would not hesitate to contact Angela for recommendations on other parts of the island. She does not know I am writing this review. Happy travel planning! 

Thanks for the post. I found this tour thru a booking site and sent an email based on your recommendation. Hopefully they are available to take us this September!

• Like 1

I don't know @BlueSkiesTX operator, but that's a very good itinerary.

We did much the same with a rented car (CICAR, a Canary Islands operator and the biggest & best on the islands, with depots handy to all cruise ports).

At Timanfaya whatever vehicle you arrive In,  included in the price is a 30 (?) minute round trip from the Visitor Centre on a narrow,  mazy & convoluted road over the volcanic landscape in a park coach (I'm a retired coach driver, my hat off to the park drivers) - no other vehicles permitted.

I doubt whether many other tours include El Golfo  or Los Hevideros. The road from Timanfaya crossed a volcanic plain to the coast, the "Green Lagoon" at El Golfo, and Los Hevideros where the lava entered the sea - amazing rock formations.  

We then dropped into the coastal resort village of Playa Blanca before taking the back-roads to Arrecife.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Stop 1 - Los Hevideros
Stop 4 - Camel park

Great information!  Question for you (hope it doesn't sound silly) - was the $510 the price per person or for the whole group?  I only found where it was $500pp.  Just wanted to confirm.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Just now, Shimsdan said:

Great information!  Question for you (hope it doesn't sound silly) - was the $510 the price per person or for the whole group?  I only found where it was $500pp.  Just wanted to confirm.  Thanks!

It was $500 for our whole group (not PP).  HTH!

• Like 1

Stop 1 - Los Hevideros
Stop 4 - Camel park

Good to know....we'll be there in November 2024. Will check out her site

• Like 1

I was so glad to find this post! Last year when I searched CC for Lanzarote tours, I couldn't find much. The private tour is a little pricey for the two of us, but I'm pretty sure I've found an equivalent small group tour tailored for cruise passengers from the same company! The other company I was looking at wasn't giving me the warm and fuzzies because all of the reviews were from Germans, and one person (who wasn't German) complained that her English tour ended up being in German. LOL. Anyway, your review was so helpful. Thank you!

• 2 months later...
On 1/28/2024 at 8:15 PM, amyj23 said:

I was so glad to find this post! Last year when I searched CC for Lanzarote tours, I couldn't find much. The private tour is a little pricey for the two of us, but I'm pretty sure I've found an equivalent small group tour tailored for cruise passengers from the same company! The other company I was looking at wasn't giving me the warm and fuzzies because all of the reviews were from Germans, and one person (who wasn't German) complained that her English tour ended up being in German. LOL. Anyway, your review was so helpful. Thank you!

What company did you find that was for a small group?