What company to use to purchase train tickets from Waterloo station to Southampton

6 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

I just realised that I wrote coach station in my previous answer. It is a 10 to 15 minute walk or a 5 minute taxi ride from the Southampton train station to the Premier Inn West Quay.

Thank you!

14 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

Fast trains from London Waterloo to Southampton Central take roughly 1¼ hours.

Thank you. Are trains labeled as fast as opposed to, I assume, ones with lots of stops?

Edited by dickinson

1 hour ago, dickinson said:

Thank you. Are trains labeled as fast as opposed to, I assume, ones with lots of stops?

When looking at the time table it will say how long the journey is along with how many stops.

if you look at Trainline website for example, it lists London Waterloo to Southampton as 1.5 hours , 0 stops.

2 hours ago, mickeysgal said:

When looking at the time table it will say how long the journey is along with how many stops.

if you look at Trainline website for example, it lists London Waterloo to Southampton as 1.5 hours , 0 stops.

0 stops is very unlikely. On the current timetable, the fastest trains generally have 3 intermediate stops, and the other fast trains generally also stop at Clapham Junction. It actually looks like there aren't any slower trains in the current timetable, but IIRC there used to be a third train every hour that took about 15-20 minutes longer and called at more intermediate stops.

It's actually more important to check that there are 0 changes. There's generally no reason to choose a journey that requires you to change between London Waterloo and Southampton Central. The exception is if there are engineering works or there is disruption for some other reason, in which case things will by definition be out of the ordinary anyway.

But mickeysgal is absolutely right: before you book, you will be shown the journey time (or you will be able to work it out from the departure and arrival times). I think that for an occasional user there are few if any good reasons to use the Trainline to book, but that's already been covered earlier in this thread.

On 1/13/2024 at 1:52 PM, Eno said:

Looks like can purchase and pick up the tickets at the station.

Any experience using any of these?

We purchased tickets from London to Winchester (a stop on our way to Southampton) in April 2023 for travel in late August 2023.  I believe we bought them through GWR.  When we arrived at Waterloo station we discovered there was a labor strike that day.  No trains were going to Winchester.  We had not been notified.  Fortunately, there was a train stopping at a station 20 minutes by taxi from Winchester which we were able to take.  We were told to contact the company that issued our tickets:  they might issue a refund or pay for the cost of the taxi.  The amount we thought we might (or might not) receive in compensation did not seem to be worth the time or effort to pursue as we were on our way to a transatlantic crossing in two days.  So beware of the possibility of random labor strikes which you cannot predict months or even weeks in advance.  Also, we arrived at our hotel about 2-2 1/2 hours after we had planned to arrive.  This snafu did not drastically affect us, but if we had been going directly to Southampton the day of embarkation things might have been far more stressful.  

2 hours ago, always-on-vacay said:

So beware of the possibility of random labor strikes which you cannot predict months or even weeks in advance.

This is not true. In the UK, unions must give at least two weeks' notice of any strike. So even if you don't receive any notification, you can check for yourself two weeks before you travel.

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

This is not true. In the UK, unions must give at least two weeks' notice of any strike. So even if you don't receive any notification, you can check for yourself two weeks before you travel.

And every Train Operating Company that I use has a banner across their website with details of forthcoming industrial action, so it's really very simple to check in advance, just as you would for flights. 

On 1/28/2024 at 11:57 AM, Globaliser said:

0 stops is very unlikely. On the current timetable, the fastest trains generally have 3 intermediate stops, and the other fast trains generally also stop at Clapham Junction. It actually looks like there aren't any slower trains in the current timetable, but IIRC there used to be a third train every hour that took about 15-20 minutes longer and called at more intermediate stops.

It's actually more important to check that there are 0 changes. There's generally no reason to choose a journey that requires you to change between London Waterloo and Southampton Central. The exception is if there are engineering works or there is disruption for some other reason, in which case things will by definition be out of the ordinary anyway.

But mickeysgal is absolutely right: before you book, you will be shown the journey time (or you will be able to work it out from the departure and arrival times). I think that for an occasional user there are few if any good reasons to use the Trainline to book, but that's already been covered earlier in this thread.

Thank you - my apologies...I meant to stay changes, not stops.  

• 2 months later...

We will have 2 full days in Southampton.  We want to go to Portsmouth Harbour Victory on 1 day and Osborne house on the other.  Can we just go to the train station or red ferry and buy tickets and buy  tickets at entrance of the 2 places.  I  know it costs more but will decide when we see weather forecast. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just back and the train from Waterloo Station to Southampton central couldn’t have been easier. Walked from the park plaza Westminster to Waterloo station with luggage in about 10 mins or so.  Boards show all departures and what platform the train will arrive on. We got to the station early to find our way around but was very easy.  Luckily our Sunday train not impacted by any strikes occurring before and after Sunday.  Took a cab to the room2 hotel and the next morning walked over to the cruise terminal. Cab ride was 10 pounds (for three of us with luggage). Cab was more than the train ticket.  Easiest embarkation ever. Was on the ship and eating lunch by 11:30

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mary Louise said:

What time would you recommend to take the train to Southampton?

There's usually a train every 30 minutes and it takes about an hour and a quarter. So basically, whenever you like during the morning or around lunchtime, so long as it departs after you get out of bed and arrives before check-in closes for your cruise.

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

There's usually a train every 30 minutes and it takes about an hour and a quarter. So basically, whenever you like during the morning or around lunchtime, so long as it departs after you get out of bed and arrives before check-in closes for your cruise.

Thank you

We took the train the night before and stayed at the room2 hotel.  Our ship was at the ocean terminal berth 46 so walked from the hotel across the street to the terminal. Our train on the Sunday was 1:40 some were 1:25 just depends on the stops.  Took a cab from the station to the hotel there were cabs lined up