Whittier to Anchorage transfer with Wildlife Center

gt1701a

Hello,

I am looking at several options for a Whittier to Anchorage transfer.  I would like to book an option that includes the Alaska Wildlife Center.  It seems I can book a half day tour for way less than half the price of a full day tour.  The full day tour seems to include Aleyska resort and a lunch, plus is longer.  Is it worth it to go to that resort?  I can also go back another time as well if it's worth it, as I will be picking up a rental car in Anchorage.  No rental car availability for what I need in Whittier.

I will have two teens with me, so a full day bus tour might be boring for them.

Any experience with either the half day or full day tour from Whittier to Anchorage?  Experiences ACT big bus or Anchorage Tours and Transfers?  One is a big bus and other is a shuttle bus.

Thanks!

I have no experience to give but I have booked Salmon Berry Tours to take me from Anchorage to Whittier.  You want the reverse and they have that option.

So good luck in which ever option you decide.

• Thanks 1

You didn't mention when you are coming.  That would make a difference to me going to Alyeska.  Just riding the tram at Alyeska Hotel to the top to me isn't the attraction; you also want to hike up the mountain a bit from the tram.  If we have a slow melt or if it's early in the season (fall), hiking up away from where you get off the tram could be closed.  Also, outside the back of the Alyeska Hotel and right near the tram is the entrance to the Winner Creek Trail.  I don't know if the "hand tram" is going to be open, but this is a beautiful hike. 

https://www.alyeskaresort.com/hiking-trekking/  I agree that going to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (AWCC) is worth it, but DON'T just do a drive through.  You really need to park your car in the parking lot and walk it.  This will give you opportunities to see the animals up close.  I take all of my friends and family there when they visit.  If I understand you correctly, you said that you could get a rental car if it's worth it.  I guess I'd opt for the rental car then you can really immerse yourself in that entire area and see all of the sites including Portage Valley, Girdwood, the Turnagain Arm and AWCC.  If the bus, just does a drive through at the AWCC, I wouldn't do it.  

Edited by AKJonesy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

You didn't mention when you are coming.  That would make a difference to me going to Alyeska.  Just riding the tram at Alyeska Hotel to the top to me isn't the attraction; you also want to hike up the mountain a bit from the tram.  If we have a slow melt or if it's early in the season (fall), hiking up away from where you get off the tram could be closed.  Also, outside the back of the Alyeska Hotel and right near the tram is the entrance to the Winner Creek Trail.  I don't know if the "hand tram" is going to be open, but this is a beautiful hike. 

https://www.alyeskaresort.com/hiking-trekking/  I agree that going to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (AWCC) is worth it, but DON'T just do a drive through.  You really need to park your car in the parking lot and walk it.  This will give you opportunities to see the animals up close.  I take all of my friends and family there when they visit.  If I understand you correctly, you said that you could get a rental car if it's worth it.  I guess I'd opt for the rental car then you can really immerse yourself in that entire area and see all of the sites including Portage Valley, Girdwood, the Turnagain Arm and AWCC.  If the bus, just does a drive through at the AWCC, I wouldn't do it.  

Last time I was at the conservation center, they parked the bus and let people wander.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

You didn't mention when you are coming.  That would make a difference to me going to Alyeska. 

I will be in Whittier and then Anchorage June 26 & 27.  Thanks for your advice on trails!

On 1/17/2024 at 12:56 AM, wolfie11 said:

If Aleyeska includes a ride to the top of the mountain the kids would probably enjoy it

We were on a seff driving tour  from Anchorage to Portage and took the side road to Alyeska on the return, only to find that the ride wasn't running that day due to high winds, so advising that there is no guarantee it will be running when you visit.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, gt1701a said:

I will be in Whittier and then Anchorage June 26 & 27.  Thanks for your advice on trails!

You mentioned two teens and that trail hike would be nice for them.  Also, the tram going up the mountain would also be a fun thing to do for them.  By June 26, I'd say good chance you can do more than just take the tram up with a quick look around.  By then you "should" be able to hike up further, which to me...is the adventure; not riding the tram.  But, before you buy a ticket there at the Alyeska Hotel for the tram, just ask if they've opened it up.  You can get a look at the webcam at Alyeska now but obviously, you are going to see snow.  Plus, we are dark until at least 9am right now, so don't bother looking at the webcam 🙂

• Like 1

If you have the time, look into the Walk on the Wild Side tours at AWCC.  DD and I had a guide to ourselves and got to feed a moose and see some animals not on display. We plan to do this again in May.

• Like 1

I want to do the reverse, Anchorage airport to Whittier via Wildlife Center.  Because our flight arrives at noon, we have been advised we cannot make the 12:30 bus, so I am trying to find private transportation for my family of six. Has anyone used Aurora Limo in Anchorage? Any other suggestions? Salmon Berry has quoted a very high price.

7 hours ago, Cruising on a Sunday afte said:

I want to do the reverse, Anchorage airport to Whittier via Wildlife Center.  Because our flight arrives at noon, we have been advised we cannot make the 12:30 bus, so I am trying to find private transportation for my family of six. Has anyone used Aurora Limo in Anchorage? Any other suggestions? Salmon Berry has quoted a very high price.

I recommend you fly in the day before the cruise.  Any hiccups on your flight to Anchorage and no Cruise for you!   So be smart and get in the day before.  Then you can choose more options to get to Whittier.

A cheaper option is the ACT Bus:   $70.00 per person and it includes the Wildlife center.  Or a cheaper version that is direct to the port.   https://alaskacruisetransfer.com/rates/

Thanks for your suggestion. I had planned to go in the day before until I saw the cost of the hotel rooms. For my family I need two rooms and that’s $1100 at least for a decent place. It will be my birthday, so I’m not going to stay in a dump, And there are lots of those at $300. However, you are making an excellent point since the first two full days are sea days and we would literally miss half the cruise if we miss the ship. So back to plan A which is to go to a day ahead. I appreciate your input.

Unfortunately, the bus only makes a one hour stop at the Alaska wildlife Center. My husband and I have been there before, and I believe we spent way more time there than that. Plus we will have the grand children and this is an educational experience for them.  I am sure we will be able to find an alternative.