Info on Albany & Busselton

Hi all

I am after a bit of info on these 2 ports.

Are they tender ports or do we dock?

Can you walk from ship to the towns or are taxis or busses needed?

Are there any local tour providers offering tours from the quayside?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Daz

Busselton is a tender port, and you can walk into the main area. Albany has a dock but it still may be a tender port. Either way you may not be able to walk off the dock, they will likely have shuttle buses but it is close to town,

Which ship are you on?

• Like 1

Albany can accommodate most ships at berth. You can't walk off, as wharf access is restricted and it is around 1.5kms into town - a complimentary shuttle is provided by the town/port for those reasons. They are very accommodating - here is a basic cruise visitor map.

Shuttle Bus Map - Albany.pdf (southernports.com.au)

I have never gotten around to Busselton (Margaret River). Maybe one day. They pitch their wineries as a reason to visit but I have dozens of world class wineries only 1/2hr away.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

They pitch their wineries as a reason to visit but I have dozens of world class wineries only 1/2hr away.

A winery area is a winery area anywhere in the world.  Margaret River is a highly touristy region with prices which reflect that, in addition to a rather unpleasant attitude from the locals when they spot a tourist in their midst.  We used to holiday there for a fortnight every year when the kids were young and it was glorious. These days we go once a  year to stay a week in a caravan park on our way to Augusta and that's pleasant enough but, I'd give it a big miss in terms of its reputation.  If you can come further north I'd try the Bickley Valley for an unspoiled wine area.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, arxcards said:

Albany can accommodate most ships at berth. You can't walk off, as wharf access is restricted and it is around 1.5kms into town - a complimentary shuttle is provided by the town/port for those reasons. They are very accommodating - here is a basic cruise visitor map.

Shuttle Bus Map - Albany.pdf (southernports.com.au)

I have never gotten around to Busselton (Margaret River). Maybe one day. They pitch their wineries as a reason to visit but I have dozens of world class wineries only 1/2hr away.

I'd like to go to the Anzac Museum. Is there an easy way of getting there without going on a tour? as I don't liked to be rushed in museums.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

I'd like to go to the Anzac Museum. Is there an easy way of getting there without going on a tour? as I don't liked to be rushed in museums.

By best guess would be to catch the shuttle to the first stop and get a taxi. The volunteers at the bus stops may have a better option. The Anzac Centre might also be able to help with transport info.

11 hours ago, arxcards said:

By best guess would be to catch the shuttle to the first stop and get a taxi. The volunteers at the bus stops may have a better option. The Anzac Centre might also be able to help with transport info.

Thanks. I'll ring them before I leave home. I've been to Albany a number of times including as a schoolgirl when the whaling station was still operating! The Anzac Centre will be new to me.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 8:53 AM, MicCanberra said:

Busselton is a tender port, and you can walk into the main area. Albany has a dock but it still may be a tender port. Either way you may not be able to walk off the dock, they will likely have shuttle buses but it is close to town,

Which ship are you on?

I'm pretty sure Daz mentioned on the P&O forum that they are on Explorer

1 hour ago, ceeceeDee said:

I'm pretty sure Daz mentioned on the P&O forum that they are on Explorer

Bigger ships Queen Elizabeth, Brilliance of the Sea, Coral Princess, Crown Princess are all scheduled to dock as well. Tendering still becomes a possibility if it is deemed too windy for the ship to safely navigate into port - the bigger the ship, the tighter the margin. However, it is highly likely that if it is too windy that the bridge will choose a day at sea in preference to tendering.

42 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

If there are multiple ships sometimes you may be on the one that tenders.

Not sure that has happened yet. They typically get 1 to 3 ships per month through cruise season. March 2025 will smash their record with 5 ships, but all on different days.

7 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Not sure that has happened yet. They typically get 1 to 3 ships per month through cruise season. March 2025 will smash their record with 5 ships, but all on different days.

They get more than just cruise ships there.

7 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

They get more than just cruise ships there.

They do, but when cruise ships are booked in, they schedule their other ships around them. Wharf 1 and 2, those used by cruise ships, are not heavily used by cargo ships and I have no recollection to them ever bumping a cruise ship in favour of cargo.

Esperance is a different beast, and now it is only small ships that schedule there because of that.

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

Esperance is a different beast, and now it is only small ships that schedule there because of that

Esperance is just beautiful and the locals welcome tourists.  I could live there if it weren't for the weather and the wind.  Brrrr......

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 6:36 PM, MicCanberra said:

Swan Valley wineries are nice to visit without the drive

We lived at 'The Gateway' to the Swan Valley for more than 17 years.  It's probably where I developed my over-fondness for the fermented juice of the grape.  Whenever we return to catch up for lunch with friends at what used to be our local pub, it's a very bitter sweet moment for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

Esperance is just beautiful and the locals welcome tourists.  I could live there if it weren't for the weather and the wind.  Brrrr......

Yes, stunning.

On 1/17/2024 at 6:39 AM, Yaya_in_Oz said:

We were in Albany last April on a Coral Princess cruise.  There was a free shuttle to/from the visitors center and then a free shuttle to/from the Anzac Museum.  The museum that day proved too small to handle all the visitors.  Even when the staff let in only a few visitors at a time, the crowds made it difficult to do more than glance at the exhibits and that was a shame because the narratives (those we could get close enough to) were extremely well done.  I am not trying dissuade you but best to be prepared for crowds.  If you can get there right when it opens that would be best.  We were there shortly thereafter and it filled up very quickly.

We were scheduled to stop in Busselton but were approaching at the tail end of a cyclone and the port closed because it was too dangerous with the high seas and strong winds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

We were in Albany last April on a Coral Princess cruise.  There was a free shuttle to/from the visitors center and then a free shuttle to/from the Anzac Museum.  The museum that day proved too small to handle all the visitors.  Even when the staff let in only a few visitors at a time, the crowds made it difficult to do more than glance at the exhibits and that was a shame because the narratives (those we could get close enough to) were extremely well done.  I am not trying dissuade you but best to be prepared for crowds.  If you can get there right when it opens that would be best.  We were there shortly thereafter and it filled up very quickly.

We were scheduled to stop in Busselton but were approaching at the tail end of a cyclone and the port closed because it was too dangerous with the high seas and strong winds.

Thanks. I'll be on the Pacific Explorer and was hoping my fellow passengers may not be as interested in the Anzac Centre as those on the Coral. Good to go early as a few might still be asleep! If it gets too busy I can go to the Princess Royal Fortress where I've been before or wander on up to the lookout. But it is good that people want to visit.

As for Busselton, I hope to wander around but have done the coastal walks, forest walks, lighthouses and caves. Not interested in the wineries.

On 1/17/2024 at 9:39 PM, Yaya_in_Oz said:

The ANZAC Museum is worth visiting. When we have been in Albany we have caught the free shuttle bus the short distance to the middle of town. There was always a local tour available at a very reasonable price. It operated on a Hop on Hop off basis with a stop at the ANZAC Museum. We found this ideal because we could spend at much time as we wanted at the Museum. Maybe you could email the Albany Visitor Information Centre to find out if this tour still operates.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Thanks 1