Excursions Too Similar?

nordicacres

NCL offers a two hour small ship tour up close at Hubbard Glacier as an excursion for a day at sea. If we’re also planning either a Kenai Fjords boat or kayaking tour to Aialik and/or Holgate Glacier is the Hubbard tour worth it? It’s $400/pp which seems a bit overpriced IMO. I’m struggling with my excursions!

38 minutes ago, nordicacres said:

NCL offers a two hour small ship tour up close at Hubbard Glacier as an excursion for a day at sea. If we’re also planning either a Kenai Fjords boat or kayaking tour to Aialik and/or Holgate Glacier is the Hubbard tour worth it? It’s $400/pp which seems a bit overpriced IMO. I’m struggling with my excursions!

Your post is a bit confusing but I will try to help.  Kenai and Hubbard are very different. 

Hubbard is one big glacier which is spectacular.  The problem is that often the ships don't get close to Hubbard or even into Hubbard because of bad conditions and you do have a better chance w a smaller boat excursion.  However $400 sounds high unless they are also doing something else.

Kenai gets you close to 1 or 2 glaciers and a whole lot more including wildlife.  A Kenai excursion is usually longer than a Hubbard excursion.  If I had to pick one I would pick Kenai.  One other thing.  Is there any reason why you are doing your Kenai excursion as a ship tour.  How long is the NCL excursion.  There are 2 companies in Seward that have been in business for years that do excellent Kenai trip.  I will also bet that they are longer than the NCL and probably cheaper.  If they fits into your port time do one of those instead of the NCL tour and pick the longest one that fits into your port schedule.

DON

• Thanks 1

Thanks! We are disembarking in Seward and have two days there after the cruise. Excursions in Kenai Fjords will be booked directly with a local operator. I am debating between a 6 hour wildlife cruise over to Aialik and Holgate Glaciers, or a full day kayak tour to Aialik Glacier.

Based off of the description of the cruise excursion to Hubbard Glacier it is simply a two hour small boat tour with a naturalist. The cost seems high to me for what it is, but like you mentioned, this may be the only opportunity to actually see the glacier. We will be there on 6/30/24. THANK YOU!

HIGHLIGHTS 

• See Hubbard Glacier up close from the comfort of a heated, expedition-style boat. 
• Behold the sheer face of the glacier, which soars hundreds of feet above the waterline. 
• Hear compelling commentary about Hubbard Glacier from the naturalist guide. 
• Look for harbor seals, orcas and humpback whales, which inhabit the surrounding waters.

Just a few comments --  We have done a small boat excursion to the face of a different large advancing glacier.  While I don't remember the precise cost per person, it was a six hour excursion and was around $300 per person.  A naturalist was onboard, and light food was included.  The two hour tour at $400 per person does seem on the high side.

We have also been to Hubbard about 6 times, and several times were very close.  

Regarding your tour out of Seward, Major Marine is our favorite vendor.  We tend to take the longest tour they offer on the day we are there.  

Just in case someone reading this is not very familiar with Alaska geography -- the excursions to the Kenai Fjords National Park are out of Seward.  There is another town in Alaska named Kenai.

• Thanks 1