Live From Celebrity Reflection: 6 Day Caribbean 1/28-2/3/24

jam19872016

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

Good gracious, how terrifyingly complicated. Presumably there are extra points for those who have studied maths at Harvard, and therefore might understand it. 

I believe you could also have studied at Oxford. Can't disqualify our friends on that side of the pond 😀

Yes, it's oddly complicated for a loyalty program. Also, there are extra points awarded for completing challenges (like reading marketing material) but I've never participated so I am not exactly sure what is involved.

But wait, there's more. I signed up for the go green program where I earn one extra nights worth of points for agreeing to once a day room servicing. She has come twice every day so I guess the ship did not get the memo, and for four whole points I didn't bother pointing it out. If I don't earn it, no big loss.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

I believe you could also have studied at Oxford. Can't disqualify our friends on that side of the pond 😀

Yes, it's oddly complicated for a loyalty program. Also, there are extra points awarded for completing challenges (like reading marketing material) but I've never participated so I am not exactly sure what is involved.

But wait, there's more. I signed up for the go green program where I earn one extra nights worth of points for agreeing to once a day room servicing. She has come twice every day so I guess the ship did not get the memo, and for four whole points I didn't bother pointing it out. If I don't earn it, no big loss.

It is usually reckoned Cambridge is better for maths, but, as I went to Oxford myself (not to do maths), I wouldn’t necessarily agree. The Cunard programme seems embarrassingly simple, but you don’t get much in the way of benefits, nor is it interchangeable with the other Carnival offshoots.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

Points per night is based on your room category. 

aaah, that explains why I am getting more points for our 7 night cruise in a balcony than on an 8 night cruise in an inside.

23 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

Very appreciative of the status match shared between the two.

me too!  X matched my RCI status to Select. Gotta get DH enrolled as well.

GoGreen doesn't mean just once a day. From their website:

+ Current Housekeeping service consists of twice full daily cleaning and sanitization services; morning and evening.

o The Go Green program provides a full daily cleaning and sanitation service. The night touch service will provide a turndown of down of the bed, adjustment to room ambience, removal of garbage, and organization of guest items --making the stateroom and the bathroom neat with a personalized touch.

I check with my stateroom attendant when I meet them to verify they're got me on the GoGreen list. I just made elite after my last cruise and GoGreen points helped.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It is usually reckoned Cambridge is better for maths, but, as I went to Oxford myself (not to do maths), I wouldn’t necessarily agree. The Cunard programme seems embarrassingly simple, but you don’t get much in the way of benefits, nor is it interchangeable with the other Carnival offshoots.

I was actually going to say Cambridge but decided to Google most prestigious universities and Oxford is what popped up.

I blame Google.

I do wish Carnival would status match but I doubt we would ever see that. I think a lot of Carnival diamonds who have matured out of Carnival would love the opportunity to carry their status to Princess or the like. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

aaah, that explains why I am getting more points for our 7 night cruise in a balcony than on an 8 night cruise in an inside.

me too!  X matched my RCI status to Select. Gotta get DH enrolled as well.

It's usually done automatically. In my case I even had my accounts merged automatically when I got assigned a new CC number instead of using my original. 

Their systems do a great job of talking to each other. 

I even once got signed up automatically for a free shuttle between ships between brands from Miami all the way to Ft. Lauderdale. I was driving so couldn't use it, but that was impressive. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

I'm definitely walking with a limp this morning.

Night before I sliced my thumb open smacking it into a stair railing. 

I'm getting to old to be injuring myself like this.

Blame the cocktail class. I should investigate taking legal action. 😀

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

I was actually going to say Cambridge but decided to Google most prestigious universities and Oxford is what popped up.

I blame Google.

I do wish Carnival would status match but I doubt we would ever see that. I think a lot of Carnival diamonds who have matured out of Carnival would love the opportunity to carry their status to Princess or the like. 

Don’t blame Google, of course it’s Oxford, even if they keep losing boat races.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

It's usually done automatically.

hmm, I think I had to enroll but the points may have transferred automatically. Our invoices do not show the captain circle number for DH or DS. 

We have very uncommon names so we can't possibly be confused with anyone else.

I'll look into it later. 🙂

7 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

Night before I sliced my thumb open smacking it into a stair railing. 

yikes! I hope you don't get an infection.

When we traveled alone, we never brought any first aid with us. Once we started sailing with the kiddo and also got older (no fun), we started bringing a backpack full of meds, first aid, vitamins, bandaids, etc. Our kid has always been trauma prone - on his first cruise he sliced his foot open on a very sharp rock on Princess Cay beach. It didn't stop there....

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Blame the cocktail class. I should investigate taking legal action. 😀

You may be onto something. 

In addition, the CD encouraged us that "The pool is open". Had I done my deck dancing on the deck instead of inside the pool, I would have had my shoes and socks on preventing injuries.

I also would not have lost a sock. 

Where was security during all this. Did the wind grab my sock, or is there a sock thief onboard?

So many unanswered questions. 

• Haha 9

31 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

I blame Google.

One of Cunard’s problems is that on some voyages almost everyone is a diamond, or at least a plat. Cunard passengers seem to live forever. A few years ago, I sailed with someone whose first voyage had been on the first Mauritania.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

hmm, I think I had to enroll but the points may have transferred automatically. Our invoices do not show the captain circle number for DH or DS. 

We have very uncommon names so we can't possibly be confused with anyone else.

I'll look into it later. 🙂

yikes! I hope you don't get an infection.

When we traveled alone, we never brought any first aid with us. Once we started sailing with the kiddo and also got older (no fun), we started bringing a backpack full of meds, first aid, vitamins, bandaids, etc. Our kid has always been trauma prone - on his first cruise he sliced his foot open on a very sharp rock on Princess Cay beach. It didn't stop there....

I'll be ok but a bandaid would have been nice for the thumb. I thought I'd stopped the bleeding but my white bed sheets disagreed the next morning 😱 

13 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we are definitely going to try this fried bread wonder.

It is amazing! I don't know how it took me 32 years before I even knew it was a thing. I've still never seen it anywhere but Celebrity. 

• Like 2

You may be onto something. 

In addition, the CD encouraged us that "The pool is open". Had I done my deck dancing on the deck instead of inside the pool, I would have had my shoes and socks on preventing injuries.

I also would not have lost a sock. 

Where was security during all this. Did the wind grab my sock, or is there a sock thief onboard?

So many unanswered questions. 

Perhaps the Purser’s office or equivalent have it. Aren’t they where you seek lost property?

16 hours ago, kiwichick62 said:

Ok, thanks.  It is disappointing and off putting when when more and more of a ships areas get closed off to general passengers.  Three times in six nights is a lot.  Concerned how often it will happen for my upcoming 13 night cruise.

Reflection has a smaller Sky Lounge than the other Solstice Class ships; the port side of the Lounge was take to build extra suites.  So Celebrity may close off the Sky Lounge during the Captain’s Club events on Reflection…they did not last month on Equinox.  On Equinox the Captains Club events in Sky were on the starboard side and a cordon was there…the left (port side) area was open to all.  

• Like 2

Just now, exlondoner said:

One of Cunard’s problems is that on some voyages almost everyone is a diamond, or at least a plat. Cunard passengers seem to live off ever. A few years ago, I sailed with someone whose first voyages had been on the first Mauritania.

I witnesses people who only knew each other from Cunard running into each other again. It occurred to me that with so few ships the high tier guests must run into each other all the time.

Perhaps the Purser’s office or equivalent have it. Aren’t they where you seek lost property?

I asked a crew member last night on deck if they had seen my lost sock and pointed to my mismatched ankle. 

He looked at me like I was crazy. 

Or drunk.

I think I'll just seek punitive damages at this point.

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Reflection has a smaller Sky Lounge than the other Solstice Class ships; the port side of the Lounge was take to build extra suites.  So Celebrity may close off the Sky Lounge during the Captain’s Club events on Reflection…they did not last month on Equinox.  On Equinox the Captains Club events in Sky were on the starboard side and a cordon was there…the left (port side) area was open to all.  

That's possible. Also, it was closed off but there were no crew stationed at the entrance to enforce it. They checked cards if you ordered a drink to make sure they were not giving out drinks but I doubt a server is going to be expected to ask you to leave just that they will you or your drink package.

• Like 1

I witnesses people who only knew each other from Cunard running into each other again. It occurred to me that with so few ships the high tier guests must run into each other all the time.

It’s never happened to us, but we only usually go once a year. A lot of them seem to go four or five times. And, depending on the type of cruising you favour, it may, in effect, be just one ship.

• Like 1

It’s never happened to us, but we only usually go once a year. A lot of them seem to go four or five times. And, depending on the type of cruising you favour, it may, in effect, be just one ship.

I'm not good with faces but doing these journeys cruises on Carnival I run into people all the time who claim to have been on another journey cruise with me. I tend to remember the ones who say they will be on a future cruise same time as me but not that I've sailed with previously. 

4 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

I asked a crew member last night on deck if they had seen my lost sock and pointed to my mismatched ankle. 

He looked at me like I was crazy. 

Or drunk.

I think I'll just seek punitive damages at this point.

Or there is the further disconcerting possibility that a fellow reveller has stolen it, for purposes that are unimaginable, ranging between voodoo and admiration.

Incidentally, are the pineapples still the same way up? Have you been tempted to make mischief by moving them?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Or there is the further disconcerting possibility that a fellow reveller has stolen it, for purposes that are unimaginable, ranging between voodoo and admiration.

Incidentally, are the pineapples still the same way up? Have you been tempted to make mischief by moving them?

I have been very tempted. But I have behaved myself. They get moved around the door but so far have remained upright just in different corners.

I saw them coming out of their room once and when I think stereotype of upsidedown pineapple people I think old married couple. This was a young couple. Like college age young so I suspect they are just fans of pineapple magnets and have no idea the potential double meaning. 

On a related note, I'm wearing my new 🍍 shirt today so your question is very timely. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

I'll be ok but a bandaid would have been nice for the thumb. I thought I'd stopped the bleeding but my white bed sheets disagreed the next morning

bandaids may be free at the guest services or the medical bay. 

• Thanks 1