Binoculars

Oskial

Hi all.  We are sailing on the Celebrity Solstice this May and I have two questions.  #1 are there binoculars available in all the rooms that we can use?  #2 If not, is it worth it to purchase a pair before we sail?  Any helpful advice would be appreciated.  TIA

I would ask about the binoculars on the Celebrity board, as that is a Celebrity policy. I know Holland America does, worldwide (not just in Alaska), but only in suites.

If they don't offer them, yes, definitely bring a pair.

A good, high quality pair of binoculars will greatly enhance your experience on an Alaska cruise. There is so much to see from the ship in terms of scenic viewing and wildlife, and really good binoculars make these opportunities do much better. We also take ours with us on excursions - never know when you might spot wildlife on which you want to get a closer look. We have Fujinon Marine binoculars that my husband uses on his boat that are very good, but there are many models that you can invest in for less money that still would provide much better results then anything the ship would supply.

I never even go to dinner without my binoculars if I know we're in waters where whales or other animals can be found (ask your naturalist).  After 20+ years of birding and wildlife watching I highly recommend buying a 7x42 or 8x42.  I would not go to a higher magnification with the idea that the higher the magnification, the better the view.  Boats and vehicles are moving and bounce around.  10x and above binoculars will be difficult to use in those conditions.  I have only ever used Nikon, but there are other good brands out there reasonably priced.  I suggest either the 8x42 Nikon Prostaff for around $140 on Amazon or the Monarch for around $250.  These are good binoculars and will last forever if you take good care of them.  They are both relatively compact for traveling and lightweight so you can hold them up to your eyes for long periods of time without feeling like your arms are going to fall off.

Before our Alaska cruise I bought a pair of Canon Image Stabilization binoculars.  they stabilize the image and prevent the shaking of the image.   I was hesitant as I typically buy good quality without bells and whistles that could go wrong.  However, these are fantastic.  I could never go back to non-IS binoculars.   I use them for nature hikes, football games, all kinds of activities.   They are also not too bulky.   Downside is they are expensive.