Advice - transportation Southampton to London after cruise

On 3/7/2024 at 3:01 AM, gumshoe958 said:

Believe me, I’m a huge advocate of the Elizabeth line. It’s revolutionised my journeys to Heathrow from the West End.

But I’m conscious that most users of this forum are from overseas and unfamiliar with London’s public transport, may not be as mobile as some of us and may come from the US where train travel isn’t the norm that it is in Europe so find the prospect of using a busy commuter train in a strange city daunting.

Elizabeth line trains don’t stop for long, there are often crowds to board and there’s often standing room only, like on the tube.

I’m fine with that - it’s part of London life - but for many CC users the HEX might be a better, more relaxing option given it’s often quiet, there’s dedicated luggage space, more chance of getting a seat and plenty of time to get on and off at Paddington. Yes, it’s overpriced and I never use it but I acknowledge it has its uses.

I'm one that you just described!  im nervous about it all to be honest. First time in Europe!

Thank you to everyone that has responded. I think I've only been on a commuter train once before. It seems like the price of a train/ tube is about the same as a taxi or Uber from Paddington station to the airport. Same with National express bus from Victoria Coach station.      I'm looking for the easiest with the least walking. A difference of 20-40 dollars is fine.  And we have a 515 pm flight, what time would everyone recommend being at LHR?  and leaving London headed to Heathrow?

On 3/6/2024 at 2:55 AM, Globaliser said:

For completeness, most National Express coaches can also take wheelchairs to/from most stops. And on both trains and coaches, assistance is available with luggage. So neither mode of transport is impossible for someone who sometimes walks with a cane.

The main point is that in the UK you can simply walk from the platform onto the train without there being any significant step or change in level. So someone who sometimes walks with a cane need not worry about a flight of stairs to board a UK train: they don't exist here (other than in exceptional cases).

Thank you! just watched and video and it looks nice!

19 minutes ago, red4u2 said:

I'm one that you just described!  im nervous about it all to be honest. First time in Europe!

Thank you to everyone that has responded. I think I've only been on a commuter train once before. It seems like the price of a train/ tube is about the same as a taxi or Uber from Paddington station to the airport. Same with National express bus from Victoria Coach station.      I'm looking for the easiest with the least walking. A difference of 20-40 dollars is fine.  And we have a 515 pm flight, what time would everyone recommend being at LHR?  and leaving London headed to Heathrow?

It depends on how many of you there are.

Right now an Uber from Paddington to Heathrow is just under £40 but obviously that’s the same for 1 person as it is for 4. And of course the price does vary.

The Elizabeth line is £12.20 each and the tube is £5.60.

A cab/Uber is obviously easiest and the most comfortable. But depending where in London you’re starting from, the train can be faster.

For a 5.15pm flight I’d aim to be at Heathrow by about 3.00, and probably allow about an hour to get there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gumshoe958 said:

It depends on how many of you there are.

Right now an Uber from Paddington to Heathrow is just under £40 but obviously that’s the same for 1 person as it is for 4. And of course the price does vary.

The Elizabeth line is £12.20 each and the tube is £5.60.

A cab/Uber is obviously easiest and the most comfortable. But depending where in London you’re starting from, the train can be faster.

For a 5.15pm flight I’d aim to be at Heathrow by about 3.00, and probably allow about an hour to get there.

Thank you very much!  just two of us!     i appreciate your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Staying at Great Scotland Yard Hotel pre and post cruise. 

What is my best option to get from LHR to hotel? 

Hotel to Southhampton?

Southhampton back to Great Scotland Yard?

Hotel to LHR?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, breadmanusa said:

Staying at Great Scotland Yard Hotel pre and post cruise. 

What is my best option to get from LHR to hotel? 

Hotel to Southhampton?

Southhampton back to Great Scotland Yard?

Hotel to LHR?

Thanks in advance.

First of all, congratulations for the location of your hotel, one of the most convenient hotels, in easy walking distance of many of London's most-iconic sights and theatre-land.

LHR to GSY hotel is simplest & easiest by pre-booked private transfer.

I guess about £55. I'm a country boy so can't suggest any service in particular other than https://www.blackberrycars.com/ who I've frequently seen recommended on Cruise Critic.

The are myriad others, some well-established, others fly-by-night. Many folk review taxi services only when they've has a bad experience, so be a be circumspect - go by those with fewer bad reviews. Check quotes carefully for cancellation terms & add-ons including LHR parking charges & waiting time.

Cheapest is by the Tube (London's underground), well under £10. Take the Piccadilly line (dark blue on the tube map) from any LHR terminal - this is pretty-well the start of its route so you'll have room to sit with your bags around you, but it will get more crowded as you approach central London. Get off at Piccadilly Circus or Leicester Square (a Londoner can tell you which is easiest to negotiate with luggage, both are a 10 minute walk to your hotel - or they might even suggest Covent Garden, a little further but perhaps an easier station) 

Hotel to Southampton (spelling !) will be somewhere around £225 - £250 by private transfer.

Best bet would be a taxi or level 15-20 minute walk to London Waterloo station. 2 - 3 direct  trains per hour, about 90 minutes. No mountain-climbing to get on the train like in the US, entrance is level or one easy step up, but there's no assistance with luggage. Again, you're boarding at the terminus so should have no problen sitting with your luggage around you.

Walk-up fare is over £50, but Advance tickets (available from about 12 weeks out) can cost as little as £14. The restriction on those fares are that they're only valid on the train time that you book. If your date is more than 12 weeks out do a dummy booking for earlier dates to see those Advance fares and terms.

Return to your hotel and hotel to LHR would be the reverse of the above, but no waiting time at LHR.

https://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

(don't bother to print-off the tube map, they're everywhere in London and on tourist maps)

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

It's London Waterloo - Merseyside is hundreds of miles away. ................And it won't recognise Southampton if you type in an extra h. The Southampton station is Southampton central unless your ship has wings.

JB 🙂

49 minutes ago, John Bull said:

First of all, congratulations for the location of your hotel, one of the most convenient hotels, in easy walking distance of many of London's most-iconic sights and theatre-land.

LHR to GSY hotel is simplest & easiest by pre-booked private transfer.

I guess about £55. I'm a country boy so can't suggest any service in particular other than https://www.blackberrycars.com/ who I've frequently seen recommended on Cruise Critic.

The are myriad others, some well-established, others fly-by-night. Many folk review taxi services only when they've has a bad experience, so be a be circumspect - go by those with fewer bad reviews. Check quotes carefully for cancellation terms & add-ons including LHR parking charges & waiting time.

Cheapest is by the Tube (London's underground), well under £10. Take the Piccadilly line (dark blue on the tube map) from any LHR terminal - this is pretty-well the start of its route so you'll have room to sit with your bags around you, but it will get more crowded as you approach central London. Get off at Piccadilly Circus or Leicester Square (a Londoner can tell you which is easiest to negotiate with luggage, both are a 10 minute walk to your hotel - or they might even suggest Covent Garden, a little further but perhaps an easier station) 

Hotel to Southampton (spelling !) will be somewhere around £225 - £250 by private transfer.

Best bet would be a taxi or level 15-20 minute walk to London Waterloo station. 2 - 3 direct  trains per hour, about 90 minutes. No mountain-climbing to get on the train like in the US, entrance is level or one easy step up, but there's no assistance with luggage. Again, you're boarding at the terminus so should have no problen sitting with your luggage around you.

Walk-up fare is over £50, but Advance tickets (available from about 12 weeks out) can cost as little as £14. The restriction on those fares are that they're only valid on the train time that you book. If your date is more than 12 weeks out do a dummy booking for earlier dates to see those Advance fares and terms.

Return to your hotel and hotel to LHR would be the reverse of the above, but no waiting time at LHR.

https://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

(don't bother to print-off the tube map, they're everywhere in London and on tourist maps)

It's London Waterloo - Merseyside is hundreds of miles away. ................And it won't recognise Southampton if you type in an extra h. The Southampton station is Southampton central unless your ship has wings.

JB 🙂

Wow!  I appreciate you taking the time in such detail to explain.  Thank you!

You can also looking into International Friends on embarkment and disembarkment days only.. They pick up at certain London hotels with drop off at Southampton dock and Southampton with drop off at certain London hotels.

Embarkment day - stop at Stonehenge 

Disembarkment day - stop at Salisbury, Stonehenge, Windsor

I have taken it and it was a great way to see another part of Britain and being dropped at the door of my London hotel around 5pm.

www.internationalfriends.co.uk

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phabric said:

You can also looking into International Friends on embarkment and disembarkment days only.. They pick up at certain London hotels with drop off at Southampton dock and Southampton with drop off at certain London hotels.

Embarkment day - stop at Stonehenge 

Disembarkment day - stop at Salisbury, Stonehenge, Windsor

I have taken it and it was a great way to see another part of Britain and being dropped at the door of my London hotel around 5pm.

www.internationalfriends.co.uk

Good thinkin' @phabric

International Friends is a well-established and reputable coach tour operator.

Their tour/transfer options are specifically for cruisers - they pick up at the cruise terminal and drop off at Heathrow or central London hotels. Or vice-versa for pre-cruise.

Their post-cruise tour-transfers are the better value, because the time allowed is not  constrained by a cruise checking-in time.

https://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/shore-excursions-and-cruise-transfers.html

JB 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

None of the above, but it's only worth explaining if the Tube is even a potential option for this OP.

On 5/21/2024 at 1:16 PM, Globaliser said:

None of the above, but it's only worth explaining if the Tube is even a potential option for this OP.

I was leaning towards using the Tube.  What are your thoughts?

47 minutes ago, breadmanusa said:

I was leaning towards using the Tube.

Then take the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to Barons Court, then a cross-platform change (about a 10-foot walk) to the District Line to Westminster, then walk to Great Scotland Yard Hotel from there. It's step-free down to the Piccadilly Line platform at Heathrow, and step-free (by lift + lift) from the District Line to street level at Westminster. Google says the hotel is an 8-minute walk away. You can choose whether to walk along Parliament Street and Whitehall to see the government buildings (including the gates to Downing Street), or along Victoria Embankment to see the river, the London Eye, County Hall and the Millennium Footbridges.

That's a shorter walk than from Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square or Covent Garden stations. In addition, getting out of all of those stations requires carrying your luggage up stairs.

If you're travelling during the weekday morning peak or in inclement weather, I suggest changing at Hammersmith rather than Barons Court. That's a longer cross-platform walk - about 20 feet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

Then take the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to Barons Court, then a cross-platform change (about a 10-foot walk) to the District Line to Westminster, then walk to Great Scotland Yard Hotel from there. It's step-free down to the Piccadilly Line platform at Heathrow, and step-free (by lift + lift) from the District Line to street level at Westminster. Google says the hotel is an 8-minute walk away. You can choose whether to walk along Parliament Street and Whitehall to see the government buildings (including the gates to Downing Street), or along Victoria Embankment to see the river, the London Eye, County Hall and the Millennium Footbridges.

That's a shorter walk than from Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square or Covent Garden stations. In addition, getting out of all of those stations requires carrying your luggage up stairs.

If you're travelling during the weekday morning peak or in inclement weather, I suggest changing at Hammersmith rather than Barons Court. That's a longer cross-platform walk - about 20 feet.

Appreciate the help.  Thank you

11 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

@breadmanusa Like I said, needs a Londoner to advise on the route by Tube.

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2024 at 5:12 PM, John Bull said:

Like I said, needs a Londoner to advise on the route by Tube.

JB 🙂

JB et al, please excuse the interruption but wanted to add my congrats to JB as ‘the Saints go marching in’…but…gotta say ‘Up the Gunners’. CV…

1 hour ago, Crown Vic said:

JB et al, please excuse the interruption but wanted to add my congrats to JB as ‘the Saints go marching in’…but…gotta say ‘Up the Gunners’. CV…

image.jpeg.85048d96f1221ec97dbe3124dd1932de.jpeg

Good to back among the big boys 🙂

But I've  got no finger-nails left !! 🤣🤣🤣

JB 🙂

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

image.jpeg.85048d96f1221ec97dbe3124dd1932de.jpeg

Good to back among the big boys 🙂

But I've  got no finger-nails left !! 🤣🤣🤣

JB 🙂

👍 👍 cv…

On 5/21/2024 at 6:37 PM, John Bull said:

Good thinkin' @phabric

International Friends is a well-established and reputable coach tour operator.

Their tour/transfer options are specifically for cruisers - they pick up at the cruise terminal and drop off at Heathrow or central London hotels. Or vice-versa for pre-cruise.

Their post-cruise tour-transfers are the better value, because the time allowed is not  constrained by a cruise checking-in time.

https://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/shore-excursions-and-cruise-transfers.html

JB 🙂

I used International Friends for an excursion to Stonehenge and drop-off at my hotel in London and thought they did an excellent job. I would certainly use them again. Admittedly it was a busy Saturday in London, and our poor driver kept being diverted due to road closures, but it ended up being a good way to get my bearings in London.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! So glad I came across this thread and I appreciate all of the info provided. 

Like many of the previous posters, I'm trying to figure out the best option for getting from Southampton (post-cruise) to London (specifically Novotel London Bridge hotel). We are a family of 4 with two kids under 10. We will have two 30" roller luggage and we rarely ride commuter trains (we are from Southern California).

After reading this thread, I'm leaning toward: train (advanced purchase South Western railway to Waterloo) then Uber to hotel but I had a couple of quick questions:

- I've checked the Southampton Port schedule, and it looks like we'll be disembarking at the Horizon Cruise terminal. That looks to be a 15 minute walk to the Southampton Central train station, but is this an easy walk with kids/luggage (not uphill, paved sidewalks, etc.) How much would an Uber cost from Horizon to the train station?

- The disembark time is scheduled for 8am, and we do not plan to get off the ship early. Factoring in the disembark process, travel time to train station, random delays b/c of kids, general ignorance of the train station/system.. what time train departure would you recommend we target? 

- If we don't do advanced purchase for tickets and walk-up instead, are seats generally available (we're arriving on a Wednesday)? Since it's a terminus, I'm guessing it should be pretty easy to secure tickets and seats together, but just wanted to make sure.

- Is luggage stored in areas in the train cars, or underneath the cars, somewhere else? I'm guessing many passengers boarding in Southampton will have luggage from their cruises, so I'm wondering how convenient/accessible luggage storage will be on the train.

Also, after coming across this read and learning about International Friends post-cruise tour, we're also looking into this as well! Thank you for mentioning it! Quick questions about:

- Do they pick up from all of the cruise terminals, or would we need to go from the Horizon terminal to whichever one they are located at?

- Is the drive from Southampton to Stonehenge and then Stonehenge to London very windy (frequent turns, not atmospheric wind), mountainy, etc? I often get carsick on large coaches (the tour coach looks like a standard large bus) with those road conditions.

Thanks for all of your help!

As long as its not chucking it down with rain, you can definately walk to the station in 15mins.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/50.9023768,-1.4177698/50.9078733,-1.4152397/@50.9065335,-1.4164141,1395m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e2?entry=ttu

Just be careful walking out of the port...not dangerous, but lots of cars and trucks about delivering to the ships. All road crossings are traffic light controlled. You want to head for the north side of the station...thats the side the London trains go from. Uber would probably be £10-£15, but you may want a large one, so might have to wait...by which time you could have walked it!

As this is a Wednesday, I would wait until at least 0930 for the train. Fewer commuters and cheaper fares kick in at 0930.

You should have no problem getting seats. Technically, Southampton is not a terminus as through trains carry on to the south west, but lots of trains do terminate at Southampton. Bear in mind walk up tickets are a lot more expensive than pre booked. You should be able to pre book 12 weeks out.

These are essentially commuter trains, so no real luggage storage, but don't worry. You will find plenty of room to get a '2 facing 2' seat and have room for luggage beside you. There are overhead racks for lighter items. Also, our platforms are almost level with the doors, so you won't have to climb up into the train.

Can't help with International Friends...sorry.

Simon

6 hours ago, sddsddean said:

As long as its not chucking it down with rain, you can definately walk to the station in 15mins.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/50.9023768,-1.4177698/50.9078733,-1.4152397/@50.9065335,-1.4164141,1395m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e2?entry=ttu

Just be careful walking out of the port...not dangerous, but lots of cars and trucks about delivering to the ships. All road crossings are traffic light controlled. You want to head for the north side of the station...thats the side the London trains go from. Uber would probably be £10-£15, but you may want a large one, so might have to wait...by which time you could have walked it!

As this is a Wednesday, I would wait until at least 0930 for the train. Fewer commuters and cheaper fares kick in at 0930.

You should have no problem getting seats. Technically, Southampton is not a terminus as through trains carry on to the south west, but lots of trains do terminate at Southampton. Bear in mind walk up tickets are a lot more expensive than pre booked. You should be able to pre book 12 weeks out.

These are essentially commuter trains, so no real luggage storage, but don't worry. You will find plenty of room to get a '2 facing 2' seat and have room for luggage beside you. There are overhead racks for lighter items. Also, our platforms are almost level with the doors, so you won't have to climb up into the train.

Simon

@Dohmacc

Simon's pretty well said it all but to add.....

If you choose to go by taxi (its a short distance, compared to taking a taxi from the rank at the terminal, the savings by phoning Uber will be minimal if any  and unworthy of the fuss and the wait).

Ask the driver to drop you at Platform 1, the London-bound side of the station (Blechynden Terrace)

But if you walk to the station, (easy enough) use the nearest entrance the station and the station's elevators to get to the other side - it's a very long walk round to enter the station from the other side.

And, to emphasise, walk-up tickets are much more expensive than Advance tickets - £54 pp instead of under £20 pp

Your journey is SOU to WAT

---------------------------------------------------

International Friends' cruise tour-transfers are dedicated to a ship, they pick up from that cruise terminal. They service most ships (generally not UK ships like P&O or small ships), check on their website whether they service yours.  If they do it's easy, the coach will be waiting for you at Horizon.

In the unlikely event that your ship isn't serviced, check the port website for those ships arriving on your date which are serviced.  https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/ 

You can book as if you were on that ship, but you have to make your own way to that cruise terminal.  Berth 101 (City cruise terminal) is next-door down-stream,  Berth 106 (Mayflower terminal) is a 10-minute walk up-stream, berth 46 (Ocean terminal) is a 10 minute taxi ride berth 38/39QE 11 terminal) is a 10 to 15 minute taxi ride.

The first part of the tour-transfer is on "A" roads, yes some turns but not excessive), beyond Stonehenge it's almost all divided highway & very easy.

If you're prone to carsickness avoid seats at the back, especially beyond the rear wheels.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

9 hours ago, Dohmacc said:

After reading this thread, I'm leaning toward: train (advanced purchase South Western railway to Waterloo) then Uber to hotel ...

You'd probably do just as well to get a proper taxi from the rank at Waterloo. IME, there are usually some cabs waiting there because so many people get off the train and need a cab, or a steady stream of cabs coming past immediately after they've dropped off a previous fare. When black cabs are that convenient, and the journey is so short, why bother with the hassle and delay of an Uber?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sddsddean said:

Simon

Thank you! I didn't consider the rain (again, from Southern California), but I realize now I should have. 

For the 2 facing 2 seats, it sounds like there will be plenty of seating at the start so I can put the luggage beside me, but will that become an issue as passengers get on and look for seating? Or would this route during non-commuter hours be generally empty the entire trip?

The conductors on the commuter trains here sometimes enforce their no luggage on seats policy as the cars fill up with passengers..

44 minutes ago, John Bull said:

@Dohmacc

Simon's pretty well said it all but to add.....

If you choose to go by taxi (its a short distance, compared to taking a taxi from the rank at the terminal, the savings by phoning Uber will be minimal if any  and unworthy of the fuss and the wait).

Ask the driver to drop you at Platform 1, the London-bound side of the station (Blechynden Terrace)

But if you walk to the station, (easy enough) use the nearest entrance the station and the station's elevators to get to the other side - it's a very long walk round to enter the station from the other side.

And, to emphasise, walk-up tickets are much more expensive than Advance tickets - £54 pp instead of under £20 pp

Your journey is SOU to WAT

---------------------------------------------------

International Friends' cruise tour-transfers are dedicated to a ship, they pick up from that cruise terminal. They service most ships (generally not UK ships like P&O or small ships), check on their website whether they service yours.  If they do it's easy, the coach will be waiting for you at Horizon.

In the unlikely event that your ship isn't serviced, check the port website for those ships arriving on your date which are serviced.  https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/ 

You can book as if you were on that ship, but you have to make your own way to that cruise terminal.  Berth 101 (City cruise terminal) is next-door down-stream,  Berth 106 (Mayflower terminal) is a 10-minute walk up-stream, berth 46 (Ocean terminal) is a 10 minute taxi ride berth 38/39QE 11 terminal) is a 10 to 15 minute taxi ride.

The first part of the tour-transfer is on "A" roads, yes some turns but not excessive), beyond Stonehenge it's almost all divided highway & very easy.

If you're prone to carsickness avoid seats at the back, especially beyond the rear wheels.

JB 🙂

Thank you! Good to know regular taxis are readily available at the cruise terminals. And thank you for the info for International Friends. They do service our ship (Disney), but looking at their packages, I notice that two of their tours have the same cost:

A) Southampton to London via Stonehenge (112.5 Best Rate Adult)

B) Salisbury, Stonehenge, Windsor to London (112.5 Best Rate Adult)

From what I can tell, the B tour does NOT include admission price to Stonehenge, but the A does... So I guess that explains why A and B cost the same, despite B going to 2 more sites?

It seems like A stops longer in Stonehenge also (2 hours vs. 90 minutes)... 

Just from a value perspective, I'd lean toward B... but do you think the longer Stonehenge time is worth it and/or the additional stops in Salisbury and Windsor would be to short/rushed, not to be worth it?

32 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

You'd probably do just as well to get a proper taxi from the rank at Waterloo. IME, there are usually some cabs waiting there because so many people get off the train and need a cab, or a steady stream of cabs coming past immediately after they've dropped off a previous fare. When black cabs are that convenient, and the journey is so short, why bother with the hassle and delay of an Uber?

Thank you for the info about the taxi situation! Here, we rarely see actual cabs anymore, but it sounds like finding an official (black cab) taxi seems easy enough throughout London? Is the pricing competitive/similar to Uber rates?

Thank you all for prompt and detailed responses!

54 minutes ago, Dohmacc said:

Thank you! Good to know regular taxis are readily available at the cruise terminals. And thank you for the info for International Friends. They do service our ship (Disney), but looking at their packages, I notice that two of their tours have the same cost:

A) Southampton to London via Stonehenge (112.5 Best Rate Adult)

B) Salisbury, Stonehenge, Windsor to London (112.5 Best Rate Adult)

From what I can tell, the B tour does NOT include admission price to Stonehenge, but the A does... So I guess that explains why A and B cost the same, despite B going to 2 more sites?

It seems like A stops longer in Stonehenge also (2 hours vs. 90 minutes)... 

Just from a value perspective, I'd lean toward B... but do you think the longer Stonehenge time is worth it and/or the additional stops in Salisbury and Windsor would be to short/rushed, not to be worth it?

Thank you for the info about the taxi situation! Here, we rarely see actual cabs anymore, but it sounds like finding an official (black cab) taxi seems easy enough throughout London? Is the pricing competitive/similar to Uber rates?

Thank you all for prompt and detailed responses!

Yes, I think it's coincidence that those fares are identical, and either avoiding wasted Stonehenge entry fee for those who are only interested in Salisbury and/or Windsor, or mebbe didn't want folk being put off by a headline fare of.£136 (an American ploy that I'm sure you're well-aware of 😏).

The difference from the operator's point of view is lower mileage and shorter total hours. 

But 90 mins or 120 mins at Stonehenge is no big deal, 90mins is to get the whole trip done in a busy day.

If you take the one which includes Windsor, at Stonehenge you can stay on the coach or - I think - have access to the Visitor Centre or at least the cafeteria. But you can't see the Stones from there, that needs a short land-train trip included in the admission.

If you want to enter Stonehenge it's important to buy your admission tickets with your coach excursion tickets.

Numbers in the site are capped - you won't be able to buy tickets at the gate for immediate admission if the cap has been reached, & that could royally screw-up your day.

Those who pre-book independently (eg by car) have to quote an entry window of 30 minutes - if they're late they're in the same boat as those who plan to buy at the gate 

But tickets issued by coach operators are admission at any time.

But don't buy Windsor Castle tickets. 

You can choose to buy at the gate or instead DIY wandering around this interesting town.

And if there's a delay in arriving at Windsor the time lost is knocked off the free time in Windsor - which may mean that paying to go into the castle might be a lot less worth-while.

Yes, that option is a bit rushed, but IMHO it's worthwhile & better value.

But if you're prepared to lose a day in London there are direct train from London Waterloo to Windsor - inexpensive, frequent, about an hour each-way

-----------------------------------------------

London's black cabs are expensive. The convenience & time saved in hailing one in the street or from a rank is worth the difference for a short hop of a mile or three.

For a longer trip phoning for a "private hire" taxi like Uber would be a lot cheaper. But in London, for longer distances the tube (London's extensive metro system) is probably both quicker and cheaper altho no fun with luggage.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

Don't worry about luggage by the seats (you keep luggage on the floor, by your seat, not on your seat)...everybody does it and the guard will be OK...unless you are really unlucky and have a packed train, but you almost certainly won't. BTW, we call them guards, not conductors, and you ride in a coach or carriage, not a car...thats something you drive along the road!

Simon

Edited by sddsddean