Mask onboard

Old subject. Our first cruise is coming up soon since covid showed its ugly head. I wondered how many people are wearing mask ( if any ) on the cruises lately.Ā 

Ā 

Cheers John.

Just off fourteen days on CoralĀ  Princess. We were masks all the time but very few others. However numbers grew a little as time went on and last few days most of workers at Guest Services were wearing them.

Ā 

• Thanks 1

Just now, valantine80 said:

Just off fourteen days on CoralĀ  Princess. We were masks all the time but very few others. However numbers grew a little as time went on and last few days most of workers at Guest Services were wearing them.

Ā 

We were on the same cruise. Maybe you were one of the couples I saw wearing masks!

Ā 

After we left our last port (Auckland) staff at the Guest Services desk wore masks. My daughter asked one of the staff there if the masks indicated that there was more illnes on board. The reply was that after the last port, people are more likely to report being ill.

• Like 2

On my recent cruise on the Grand there were not many wearing masks. You'd see a few in theatre and on public transport myself included. I still caught Covid again and tested positive the day after I got home. I just think I'm more susceptible to catching things as I'm fully vaxxed. This time it was a much milder dose. I'm going again in March and will do the same, wearing my n95 mask in crowded places. It is also a short cruise - 7 days, so I'd be home before I know I'm sick.

I'd do what ever you're happy with.

• Like 2

On the Grand last week there was an announcement about a week in to the 14 day cruise about respiratory illnesses. Ā A mask was suggested and there was a few people wearing them. Ā Weā€™d all had covid across Christmas and New Year so didnā€™t bother. Ā None of us got ill.

• Like 1

Last December cruise, we started wearing masksĀ  (in public areas, shorex buses, etc but not the MDR) when the crew started wearing them in public areas. It was about 6 days into the cruise and the coughing and sneezing was becoming much more prevalent.

Thank you for all the post. We will take enough mask to last the 7 day cruise and probably just wear them in the crowds. Probably be ok up on deck and we hope to find a table on the outside if we use the buffet. We know there is no guarantee that mask will stop covid but I guess wearing one is better than nothing. It is hard to realise that covid is still around as there seems to be no mention of it from the cruise ships any more.

Cheers John.

10 hours ago, JohnGc said:

Thank you for all the post. We will take enough mask to last the 7 day cruise and probably just wear them in the crowds. Probably be ok up on deck and we hope to find a table on the outside if we use the buffet. We know there is no guarantee that mask will stop covid but I guess wearing one is better than nothing. It is hard to realise that covid is still around as there seems to be no mention of it from the cruise ships any more.

Cheers John.

On our 14-day cruise that ended, we saw only two little tables outside cabin doors. This could be from COVID, RSV or (less likely) Noro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

On our 14-day cruise that ended, we saw only two little tables outside cabin doors. This could be from COVID, RSV or (less likely) Noro.

On same cruise Deck8 aft, saw 4 cabins with tables outside just in the section from library back. One had table outside for several days, disappeared for a coupls of days and was back again.

Cruised on Noordam first 2 weeks of January. Not a lot of people wore masks, I certainly did in the theatre and on tenders. I also avoided overcrowded venues. The level of coughing increased noticeably after the first 6 days. The cruise specific group had 149 members- after the cruise at least 20 members reported that they and their companions had covid.Ā 

On 1/27/2024 at 7:29 AM, JohnGc said:

Cheers John.

That is the best attitude to take really..we did the same. We wore them inside..especially in the theater and elevators but didn't bother when we were on deck. It's all about cutting down the odds and honestly there are so many people who are likely to cough without covering their mouths that it's dangerous out there.

Ā 

I think everyone should do what feels right for them. The funny thing is that we would get really strange looks from people as we entered the elevators..someonce actually asked us why we were wearing them and when I told her that it was for her protection since I had a bit of the sniffles she was quite happy with that.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Camelia- said:

That is the best attitude to take really..we did the same. We wore them inside..especially in the theater and elevators but didn't bother when we were on deck. It's all about cutting down the odds and honestly there are so many people who are likely to cough without covering their mouths that it's dangerous out there.

Ā 

I think everyone should do what feels right for them. The funny thing is that we would get really strange looks from people as we entered the elevators..someonce actually asked us why we were wearing them and when I told her that it was for her protection since I had a bit of the sniffles she was quite happy with that.

The danger zones are not only the lifts or theatre. You can be happily sitting in one of bars or dining areas, enjoying a drink or meal, when one selfish passengers with a bad cough stops right next to you to talk to their friends.Ā šŸ¤¬Ā 

Ā 

However we trade off that risk against the convenience of enjoying our meal or drink unmasked.Ā 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 9:56 AM, Aus Traveller said:

Sorry, I am new to cruising. What do you mean by "little tables outside cabin doors"? Is this where the staff place food etc for guests who are confined to their cabin because of infectious diseases?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

Sorry, I am new to cruising. What do you mean by "little tables outside cabin doors"? Is this where the staff place food etc for guests who are confined to their cabin because of infectious diseases?

Absolutely correct. On my last cruise they used the little side tables that are normally found by the loungers around the pool šŸ™‚

• Thanks 1