Calling all tea experts.....

lahlah57

Going on majestic princess and was wondering what recent tea choices have you experienced?

I'm a coffee girl but my husband is an oolong, jasmine and ginger tea drinker.

Do they have these choices or better to bring our own?

Bring your own.  The tea onboard is tea bags made by Lipton, Bigelow, and sometimes a local brand that's not familiar.  Choices are usually English Breakfast, Darjeeling, Green Tea, Earl Grey, Chamomile, Mint, Lemon, and Lipton black tea. 

18 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Bring your own.  The tea onboard is tea bags made by Lipton, Bigelow, and sometimes a local brand that's not familiar.  Choices are usually English Breakfast, Darjeeling, Green Tea, Earl Grey, Chamomile, Mint, Lemon, and Lipton black tea. 

At the international cafe?

Just now, startedwithamouse said:

At the international cafe?

Nope.  Just a higher end brand of the same teas and some fruit infused flavors.  There used to be a variety of options with the the Royal Afternoon Tea, but not anymore. 

6 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Nope.  Just a higher end brand of the same teas and some fruit infused flavors.  There used to be a variety of options with the the Royal Afternoon Tea, but not anymore. 

Higher end brands make all the difference when drinking tea. And frankly anything else. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

Going on majestic princess and was wondering what recent tea choices have you experienced?

I'm a coffee girl but my husband is an oolong, jasmine and ginger tea drinker.

Do they have these choices or better to bring our own?

Screenshot 2024-01-28 9.10.29 AM.png

They previously had Tea & Company and Mighty Leaf, and sometimes they'll find a box or two of that. This is a brand they're going with now.

The low end Lipton and Bigelow you'll find in the buffet or MDR. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

18 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Higher end brands make all the difference when drinking tea. And frankly anything else. 

Wouldn't say that.  When it comes to tea, loose leaf is superior to bagged, which you can't even get on Princess ships anymore, but you can on Cunard.  If you go to Asia, specifically Java or China, you can get loose leaf tea far superior to those that are available in the states for a fraction of what you would be paying in the states.  By the time the tea is processed by the big names, there's a price premium attached. 

8 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Wouldn't say that.  When it comes to tea, loose leaf is superior to bagged, which you can't even get on Princess ships anymore, but you can on Cunard.  If you go to Asia, specifically Java or China, you can get loose leaf tea far superior to those that are available in the states for a fraction of what you would be paying in the states.  By the time the tea is processed by the big names, there's a price premium attached. 

Mighty Leaf, Harney & Sons or Tea & Company, Smith Tea bags are far superior to lots of loose leaf no name brand tea. It's just not in a bag. 

Loose leaf is in BULK, it has nothing to do with quality. 

I wouldn't call the aforementioned teas "Big Names", they are high end teas.

We're talking about cruise ships, and what's available onboard. Not going to Asia and sourcing there.  

Just had to answer the OP, as you answered

"The tea onboard is tea bags made by Lipton, Bigelow, and sometimes a local brand that's not familiar", which is not true. I've yet to sail on a Princess ship with a local brand of tea offered.

Edited by startedwithamouse

If you want to be guaranteed to have the brand and type, you are much better off bringing your own.  DH drinks green tea, and isn't fussy about what brand it is as long as it is plain and not flavored; however, on our most recent cruise on Enchanted Princess in November/December while there was plenty of flavored green tea there was no plain to be found.  I bought some on the local economy and have now added his green tea bags to my packing list.

3 hours ago, SCX22 said:

If you are a serious tea drinker then loose leaf is the only way to go.

My current favourite is a silver tip jasmine tea, very delicate and fragrant 

Any real tea (not herbal which is what my wife drinks) that comes in bags will not be good tea.  If you are fussy about your tea you have to bring your own.  The other problem which has not been discussed is the fact that the tea will probably be prepared w 212 degree (boiling water) is is correct for black teas but not for other types.  Different teas require different temperature waters.  Now don't get me started about the swill that cruise lines claim is coffee.

DON