UK Passenger Free At Sea Gratuities

rettie

This is a question for those that are in UK onlh, We’ve never taken the Free At Sea before but have been on 3 NCL Cruises and in May 2025 doing the Transatlantic Southampton to  Miami on The Bliss. Thinking of adding the Free At Sea but curious as to how the gratifies work. We normally the pay Service Chsrgr/gratuities in advance for tge the cruise. So will the ones on the drinks package be added too? We are not huge drinkers, onky a couple of glasses of wine in the evening. 

I'm not in UK but in EU but I'm sure it's the same for you as for me: nothing extra apart from what you pay for the package. Gratuities are included.

(The package that is currently at half price for bookings made in the next few days. But it's only half price at time of booking so on an existing booking it's full price)

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I’m curious, since those in the US get the FAS for the gratuities on the ubp, $21 a day, how much do you pay daily if you don’t get charged the gratuities?

It isn't charged per day. It is a fixed fee based on the number of days and that includes all the free at sea offers.

There is an offer on at the moment, which completes things, but I think these are the usual prices:

3-5 days £149

6-8 days £199

9-11 days £249

12-14 days £299

It carries on increasing like that for longer cruises.

The actual costs usually ends up not being far from the gratuities paid in the US.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

From what I can tell, they mention the 20% gratuities but in USD ($21.80 USD) in the terms and say it's included in the price already. Meaning no need to tip extra. How the heck do they call it a Free at Sea upcharge?!? Free must mean something different in the UK. There are no gratuities but there's an upcharge. Same difference I guess.

For bookings from the Australian website they just bake everything into the cabin fare including the daily service charge.

Edited by mistertomatoe

1 hour ago, mistertomatoe said:

From what I can tell, they mention the 20% gratuities but in USD ($21.80 USD) in the terms and say it's included in the price already. Meaning no need to tip extra. How the heck do they call it a Free at Sea upcharge?!? Free must mean something different in the UK. There are no gratuities but there's an upcharge. Same difference I guess.

For bookings from the Australian website they just bake everything into the cabin fare including the daily service charge.

Nothing is ever free.  It would be more accurate to call something 'included' rather than 'free'.  However, a marketing type will tell  you the quickests way to sell a product is to convince the buyer he's getting something for 'free'.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 6:22 PM, rettie said:

This is a question for those that are in UK onlh, We’ve never taken the Free At Sea before but have been on 3 NCL Cruises and in May 2025 doing the Transatlantic Southampton to  Miami on The Bliss. Thinking of adding the Free At Sea but curious as to how the gratifies work. We normally the pay Service Chsrgr/gratuities in advance for tge the cruise. So will the ones on the drinks package be added too? We are not huge drinkers, onky a couple of glasses of wine in the evening. 

You pay the free at sea charge then nothing else. The package covers the total cost of all drinks (gratuity as well) that are included. Alcohol up to $15 a glass, soft drinks and juices.