Looking for Advice on cabin selection on Silver Wind

Lilac Trees

Hello.

This is going to be our first cruise. We will sail from Tromso to Svalbard in Silver Wind this summer. 

Thanks for all kind replies on my previous questions. We decided to persue our plan to Svalbard instead of other options. Although, I was shortly tempted to change to Silver Endeavour next year as the ship looks so beautiful. But we will stick to the plan.

When we booked, I chose 524. Because, I tend to seasick. I have never been on cruise. But I learnt that I did seasick on a boat excusion in the South Pacific many years ago. The sea was very rough.... Since then, I always take medication when I'm on a boat just in case.

Now, we are thinking perhaps higher deck might be better and more interesting, for example it might have better view.

We presume that the the Arctic Ocean in summer should be calm (hopefully). Hence, we are thinking whether we might change to deck 6.

But available cabin is up front which is 606 which I think it might be bit too front. 

I see that now the same cabin type on deck 7 is sold out. It appears that higher deck is more popular than lower deck. 

So my questions are,

does deck 6 offer better view than deck 5? 

is there advantage of front cabin on deck 6 or so? 

changing to front cabin on deck 6 from midship cabin on deck 5 is good idea for this cruise?

Having read https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/1009479-advice-on-choosing-a-cabin-on-silver-wind/ 

I understand that an advange 524 which is perhaps one of the best location in terms of avoiding seasick. (Please correct me if I misunderstood.) But I'm not sure if there is any other advantage. 

Also, I understand that in case of cabins in the front, there could be bit noise from the anchor.

I hope I can hear some advices on cabin selection on Arctic Circle cruise. 

I highlighed yellow for deck 5 which we have at present, and green for deck 6 which we are interested in chaning to.

image.png.4baac1892efbfa3c21f5bc30eb00db6b.png

image.thumb.png.4afd02986a30da8e3902192207f90595.png

image.thumb.png.f44ef33249cb8a422d0463ca83b2a3c0.png

Thank you.

Edited by Lilac Trees

I have been on the Wind and its twin the Cloud several times and I would not change from Cabin 524 if I were you.  There is no appreciable difference in view, and since you will be in areas where there are seals and whales swimming around, closer to the ocean surface is better!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

I have been on the Wind and its twin the Cloud several times and I would not change from Cabin 524 if I were you.  There is no appreciable difference in view, and since you will be in areas where there are seals and whales swimming around, closer to the ocean surface is better!

Wow, that I didn't know! Great to know! Thank you for your input! 

Edited by Lilac Trees

I was in 538. Deck 5 is my preferred location.  Easy to run down two decks to the mud room for excursions.  Directly along from Dolce Vita and entry to the show lounge for the daily briefing.  Higher decks do not get a better view, just smaller animals!  Too far forward, not only do you hear the anchor chains, motion is felt more.  The higher the deck, the more motion.  I have also been in 521, which was almost as good.

• Like 1

We are booked on 525 later this summer. We always pick a balcony suite that is low and close to the center of the ship to minimize the motion. Plus, if you're crazy like me and like to do your own laundry, it's just down the closest stairs. The deluxe verandas would have been better of course, but we didn't think the extra cost was worth it. Keep what you booked.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...