Cost of taxi from Rome to cruise port?

tkline

We’re doing a cruise in Feb leaving from Rome, but the port is in civitechia (sure I spelled that wrong). Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to take a taxi from the Rome airport to the cruise port? And how long of a drive will it be?

Hailing a taxi in the street is fine for short hops within the city - but is by far the most expensive way of going to the port, especially if the driver uses the meter.

Pre-book a fixed-price  private transfer, preferably direct but alternatively by asking your hotel to book it.

JB 🙂 

9 hours ago, tkline said:

We’re doing a cruise in Feb leaving from Rome, but the port is in civitechia (sure I spelled that wrong). Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to take a taxi from the Rome airport to the cruise port? And how long of a drive will it be?

And you could ask fellow pax on your Roll Call if any would like to join you and share the cost of a pre-arranged private transfer. You might even find that one has already been arranged and they are looking for others to join them on the transfer..

• Like 1

Also, keep in mind not all cabs have permission to enter the port area and may drop you off by the bus shuttle service in Civitavecchia.        

• Like 1

We have used Tiber Limo multiple times to go from FCO to Port, Port to hotels, etc.  I highly recommend them.  Their on time & professional.  As another person suggested, go to your roll call & try to get a couple more to your transfer.  It will much cheaper.  

3 hours ago, Girr said:

Also, keep in mind not all cabs have permission to enter the port area and may drop you off by the bus shuttle service in Civitavecchia.        

A properly licensed taxi can enter the port as long as they have a fare that can show a boarding pass for a ship departing that day. 

Still, I agree that a taxi is not the best option for getting to the port from the airport. 

Thanks 🙂 I wasn't sure how far it was. We're going to look into booking a car. We didn't want to do the ship transfer bus because it wouldn't be leaving till much later. Too bad we're going to have our luggage with us, would have been nice to be able to explore Rome a teeny bit, but maybe next time 🙂

Are there any cafes or anything to do in Civitavecchia, or is it just an industrial kind of area for ships?

Our flight lands around 7 am but I don't think we're able to board the ship until around noon, and it sets sail I think at 6 pm

There are several restaurants, wine bars, etc. in Civitavecchia.  Depending on where your ship is berthed you may be able to walk from the ship into town.  If you are at the further north piers you'd need to take the free port shuttle bus to the exit and walk from there.

We decided to go with Tiber Limo 🙂

Curious, what would be considered a good tip for the driver? Would they normally take USD or will we need euros? We were planning to mostly use cards and just find an ATM to take out a little bit of Euros if we need them

I would not fly in the day of the cruise. There could be a plane delay or some type of strike such as airport, taxi, train, etc. If it is possible come in at least 2 or 3 days early so you have time to sightsee in Rome.

• Like 2

Normally we would come in the day before but this is just how the flights worked out. The plane lands at 8 AM and the ship doesn't leave till 6 PM so I think we should be OK. We also book our flights through the cruise line so they will be aware if things are running late or anything.

17 hours ago, tkline said:

Curious, what would be considered a good tip for the driver? Would they normally take USD or will we need euros? We were planning to mostly use cards and just find an ATM to take out a little bit of Euros if we need them

Tipping is not expected in Italy, so do not do it.

Are you paying for this trip in advance?  If not, be sure to ask if the driver will accept a credit card.

We just had to pay a 30 euro deposit, the trip costs 150 altogether and we pay the balance when we get to the ship. They said they will take credit cards. 

I used to work for a vacation company a while back and they used to say you should always trip drivers and tour guides if they were good because they don’t make a lot of money 

Edited by tkline
  • Haha 1

Yes, that's the type of comment I would expect because most people speak from their own experience, without bothering to step back and examine the context or, God forbit, get some actual facts.  

Italy is different from the United States.  Workers are paid a full wage, including benefits, unlike in the States where certain classes of labor can be paid less than minimum wage.

Even if you believe that the way things are done in your country, in your experience, are the best possible way, that doesn't make it right or ethical to export your culture.  While an individual might (or might not) be happy to accept your largesse the larger culture does not benefit from this exchange.  You may think "well, it's just one time, one situation", but if every American traveler thinks that way, pretty soon that way becomes accepted and the culture is irrevocably changed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I recently spoke with my travel agent because I will be going out of the same port in September for a nine-day on Odyssey of the Seas

Royal Caribbean does have a transfer you can purchase from them, especially if you are there that early in the morning most cruise lines will have that so I’m not sure which one you will be using but check with the cruise line before you get a taxi 

Yeah I think pretty much every cruise like will have a bus transfer they provide and that would be fine for most, but for us we wanted to just do our own and get to the ship without having to wait for anyone 🙂

9 hours ago, tkline said:

Yeah I think pretty much every cruise like will have a bus transfer they provide and that would be fine for most, but for us we wanted to just do our own and get to the ship without having to wait for anyone 🙂

If you book through a transfer company like Stefano's Rome Cabs, you can add a tour on the way to the ship. You have lots of time and would not have to worry about luggage or arriving on time. Go to their website and checkout the options. 

www.romecabs.com

17 hours ago, tkline said:

What's the rush? Won't you be onboard the ship for 10 days? You'll have plenty of time to explore.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 4:22 PM, tkline said:

We just had to pay a 30 euro deposit, the trip costs 150 altogether and we pay the balance when we get to the ship. They said they will take credit cards. 

I used to work for a vacation company a while back and they used to say you should always trip drivers and tour guides if they were good because they don’t make a lot of money 

In Europe there are official tour guides who are highly qualified and earn a fortune. Coach and bus drivers are also reasonably well paid.

i have worked as a non official tour guide myself, mainly in Spain and earnt good money.

Tipping is not expected.