Passport question?

smokeykat

This question is probably posted somewhere but I could not find my answer.  This is my 1st time going on European cruise.

When visiting different ports in Europe, do you leave your passport in the safe on the ship or do you carry it always with you? A friend of mine says she leaves it in the safe and has a photo of it on her phone.

What is the best thing to do?

The best thing to do is what feels right and safe to you.

As for Italy, the law is that you must have your passport on your person at all times.   The odds of ever needing to produce it are quite small, but the consequences of not having when asked are significant.  I have no data to prove this but, given the current political situation in Italy and the migrant crisis in the area, I believe the odds of needing to produce it are higher if you are a person of color.

I always have mine with me but I take steps to secure it by keeping it in an inside, zippered pocket in my clothing.  This is admittedly more difficult in the summer, when the appropriate clothing is a little less forgiving, but it can be done. 

I strongly agree.

If you enter Italy (and most European countries, maybe all of them) you MUST hold always that documentation that let you cross the border. In your case, your passport.

In that unusual case you would be requested to show your passport, you will be in problems. The possibility is quite, quite, quite low but... do you want to assume that risk?.

If you show to an officer a photo of your passport instead of your passport... he will put the same face as he would be the officer in the passport control in the airport and you show him that photo (and it could be the same officer indeed).

This rule will apply to other countries.

No passport control in the border (among European countries) doesn't mean not carrying your passport, just no official control.

16 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

As for Italy, the law is that you must have your passport on your person at all times.

I should have been more precise with language.  The law states that you must carry "national" identification.  For Americans, the only national ID is the passport.

Hello.

It is true that for some countries (all EU countries and someone extra), it is enough to show ID card to entry Italy, thus enough to hold when you are in Italy.

For other countries, the only way is a passport. For most of countries indeed.

The rule is clear: same documentation you showed for entry, same documentation you may hold on.

In case you come from a country you had to show a visa, you must hold your visa (they usually are stamped in the passport but there could be so many possibilites as countries are in the UN).

Where can they require the documentation?

From a random check for any reason to... suppose they try to steal your wallet. They don't succeed because the police arrest the thief when he tries to do it. He needs your information to file a complaint and... you don't have it because you left your passport on the boat.
It's just an assumption. The possibilities are very low but exist.

What face would a police officer at the airport make if you showed him a photo of your passport instead of the original? Because the validity of the photo is the same if you show it to another police officer in the city center.

Carrying your passport is the difference between being a tourist who they want to help or being an undocumented immigrant.

And for the authorities your only valid documentation is your passport.

I, personally, would carry it with me. In Europe, citizens usually carry it with them at all times.

Although it is a different country, I wrote this post explaining the same thing in the case of Spain (and the regulations are almost the same even if it is another country)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2988317-customs-in-spain-money-and-cards-tips-telephone-languages-documentation-business-hours/#comment-66839409

• Like 1

For those (like me) who prefer source material, here is the relevant law.  In the link below, skip to Title II, Article 6.  Immediately below is the google translate version of the text:

The foreigner who, at the request of public security officials and agents, does not comply, without justified reason, with the order to produce the passport or other identification document and the residence permit or other document certifying the regular presence in the territory of the State is punished with imprisonment of up to one year and a fine of up to 2,000 euros.

DECRETO LEGISLATIVO 25 luglio 1998, n. 286 - Normattiva

If you have arrived on a cruise ship the residence permit doesn't apply.  This is the paperwork completed by a hotel/B&B or rental owner when you stay in Italy and must be filed with the local police within 24 hours of your check-in.

• Like 1

Always interesting how many think the laws don’t apply to them,  whether a passport in Italy, an International drivers permit or in Japan the declaration of medicines and medical devices.  Sigh….