Wi-Fi on a TA

deb18

Hi. This is my first cruise since 2019 so I have  a few Wi-Fi questions to ask.  Does the wi fi work when you are out on open seas crossing the Atlantic?   Also if you pay for it before hand  on a “flash deal” ( I do not have it included in my cruise rate)   can I still get the Captains Club discount on top of that and if so how.   TIA 

11 minutes ago, deb18 said:

Hi. This is my first cruise since 2019 so I have  a few Wi-Fi questions to ask.  Does the wi fi work when you are out on open seas crossing the Atlantic?   Also if you pay for it before hand  on a “flash deal” ( I do not have it included in my cruise rate)   can I still get the Captains Club discount on top of that and if so how.   TIA 

Yes, it works on a TA , think of speeds in 2000 😁

no double dipping with CC discount 

20 minutes ago, deb18 said:

Hi. This is my first cruise since 2019 so I have  a few Wi-Fi questions to ask.  Does the wi fi work when you are out on open seas crossing the Atlantic?  

yes it works

Also if you pay for it before hand  on a “flash deal” ( I do not have it included in my cruise rate)   can I still get the Captains Club discount on top of that and if so how.   

no you can’t combine the offers

I've done many TransAtlantic.   The WiFi works pretty well on the crossing, but it is not uncommon to loose connectivity for a couple hours.    The most common area where we have lost connectivity is the day prior to the Azores.  

As other have said you can either get the CC Discount or the Sale price but not both as they do not allow double dipping.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've done many TransAtlantic.   The WiFi works pretty well on the crossing, but it is not uncommon to loose connectivity for a couple hours.    The most common area where we have lost connectivity is the day prior to the Azores.  

As other have said you can either get the CC Discount or the Sale price but not both as they do not allow double dipping.

We have only done one TA and experienced that connectivity problem you described, but that was on Constellation before she was equipped with Starlink.  Is this still a problem with Starlink?

144DC8C9-2CAD-4BBB-9CE9-A38FC8A93355.thu

Had 'premium' wifi on my last TA (Oct-Nov '23) and no big issues. Was able to stream YT without major hiccups.

Starlink makes it more reliable than whatever was there before, but you are still on a moving platform, in the middle of the ocean, and bouncing off several satellites 🙂

The biggest question is how much are you willing to pay/day for it though, and snap that deal once it comes 😉 (i.e. set yourself a limit and if the prices go down and hit it, just do it)

Edited by Tharkhold
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tharkhold said:

Had 'premium' wifi on my last TA (Oct-Nov '23) and no big issues. Was able to stream YT without major hiccups.

Starlink makes it more reliable than whatever was there before, but you are still on a moving platform, in the middle of the ocean, and bouncing off several satellites 🙂

The biggest question is how much are you willing to pay/day for it though, and snap that deal once it comes 😉 (i.e. set yourself a limit and if the prices go down and hit it, just do it)

Thank you