Celebrity Edge or Discovery Princess to Alaska in July 2024?

Jgs3820

My husband and I are looking to book a cruise to Alaska for the first time this summer. Due to our schedule and availability, we need to take a RT out of Seattle in late July. Available departure dates have narrowed the choice down to two ships: Celebrity Edge, which goes to Endicott Arm, or Discovery Princess, which goes to Glacier Bay NP.

Everything I’ve read recommends doing a Glacier Bay itinerary. However, I have concerns about the Princess ship, especially the lack of covered public space to be able to comfortably view the scenery during the scenic cruising. It seems like the Edge has more options to view from indoors and potentially more covered outdoor space. But, I’ve read that we may not see glaciers on that itinerary if weather or ice prevents getting close.
I would love to hear thoughts on these two ships and what you’d recommend for Alaska. Do we go with the Princess ship and know we’ll be outside potentially in the rain? Or do we pick the Edge but potentially miss glaciers?

Ship = Definitely Edge

Itinerary = Definitely Glacier Bay over Endicott Arm.  

You read correctly that Discovery is not built with scenic cruising in mind, but since itinerary generally comes first in AK, she's still your better option, IMO. 

Endicott Arm is no special. I would maybe see if you can do RT Vancouver. You will get better times in port. The times in port out of cruises out of Seattle are awful. I personally would avoid RT Seattle at all costs.

You will get to Endicott Arm on NCL - it is just that glacier (Dawes) is the least desirable.

The best times in port are one ways. From where I fly, it doesn't make a difference if I fly to Seattle or Anchorage.

Maybe go a different year when you have more time?

Edited by Coral

3 hours ago, Coral said:

Endicott Arm is no special. I would maybe see if you can do RT Vancouver. You will get better times in port. The times in port out of cruises out of Seattle are awful. I personally would avoid RT Seattle at all costs.

You will get to Endicott Arm on NCL (I meant Celebrity) - it is just that glacier (Dawes) is the least desirable.

The best times in port are one ways. From where I fly, it doesn't make a difference if I fly to Seattle or Anchorage.

Maybe go a different year when you have more time?

Can you book a balcony on the Princess ship?  In Glacier Bay the ship will turn port/starboard so that you will be able to see the glacier from your balcony if it’s raining.  If it’s a sunny day you can view from outside decks.  Just be sure to have warm clothing, gloves, and a warm hat to pull down over your ears.

We spent 40 nights on the Edge last fall, boarding in Civitavecchia and leaving the ship in Sydney.  Unlike the Celebrity M- or S-class ships the E class ships do not have the equivalent of a Sky Lounge.  Indoor covered spaces include the rather large area (both starboard and port side) around the Mast Grill.  And the very intriguing space above Eden is lovely, but is an aft view.  For those in a Retreat stateroom (we were) there is the area above The Retreat but this private deck area for those in Suites is rather open.

While we book for an interesting itinerary, but there are folks who base their decision due to the actual ship itself.   In our case the Edge went through the Suez Canal and make a number of interesting port calls in the Emirates, India, Sri Lanka and Thailand some of which were new to us, in addition to ports we had visited before.  

For folks who find the actual ship design very important I can see why a number of them love the E-class ships.  Very interesting venues and artwork.  And the bathroom design of our Suite was absolutely wonderful with a separate dressing room.  Since were in a Suite we had a traditional balcony but I can see why there are folks who love the E-class infinite balconies -- folks either absolutely love them or equally absolutely hate them.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I hadn’t thought to look at r/f from Vancouver, and lo and behold, I found an option on HAL (on the Koningsdam) that works with our schedule, so we booked it! This way we get to see Glacier Bay NP, and it seems to be a ship that is better suited to Alaska than the Discovery Princess. Plus it was less expensive. Looking forward to our adventure!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Jgs3820 said:

Thank you everyone for your advice. I hadn’t thought to look at r/f from Vancouver, and lo and behold, I found an option on HAL (on the Koningsdam) that works with our schedule, so we booked it! This way we get to see Glacier Bay NP, and it seems to be a ship that is better suited to Alaska than the Discovery Princess. Plus it was less expensive. Looking forward to our adventure!

Great decision.  Koningsdam is a beautiful ship.  You'll love the showers.  And yes, she is waaay better than those new Princess ships for outward viewing.  Enjoy your cruise! 🙂

• Like 1

If you have time to fly into Vancouver a day or two early - Vancouver is an amazing city to explore.

I would agree about the Koningsdam being a better choice.