Why is this ship so LOUD?!!

Cruzinforpeace***

20 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Just came from the buffet and at 2:30pm can’t even hear yourself think.  I think it’s a combination of poor acoustical planning (no carpets and lots of metal) and a lot of European and Asian visitors who tend to sound like they’re yelling when they speak.  I’m Greek so I know from experience.  My son has a shirt that says “I’m not yelling at you, I’m just Greek!”  I don’t think this buffet is any more chaotic than other ships.  It’s the volume of noise that makes it seem chaotic.  We always get a seat and haven’t had any long waits in the lines.  The buffet food so far this cruise is excellent, better than Celebrity.

I discovered that the back of the buffet area near where the doors open up for the outdoor seating area tends to be the quietest (relative) to the rest of the venue.  Most people don't want to walk that far after grabbing their plates of food.

Interesting you mention the quality of food.  I was on an 11-day a few weeks ago and in hindsight found the food in the buffet to be average and not at good as NCL.  Keep in mind that the last time I sailed with NCL was 12 months ago and with food costs being what they are, I don't know if NCL has declined a bit as well.

Surprised at the comparision to Celebrity.  I always thought of them as the top tier of the mainstream ships.  They're not very price friendly for solo travelers unfortunately.

Edited by PistolPete13

20 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

They usually run three 45-min shows a night.  Seating times are 5:30, 7:30 and 9:30PM...

@PistolPete13 When I sailed last September the shows were 7:30 pm and 9:30 pm.  But on the Daily Activity Sheets you posted on January 27th it states that the late show in the Broadway Theater started at 10 pm.  I was hoping they changed the start time from 9:30 to 10:00!

11 minutes ago, jcpc said:

@PistolPete13 When I sailed last September the shows were 7:30 pm and 9:30 pm.  But on the Daily Activity Sheets you posted on January 27th it states that the late show in the Broadway Theater started at 10 pm.  I was hoping they changed the start time from 9:30 to 10:00!

During my sailing the seating for the theater opened up and 9:30PM and the show started around 10-ish.  I only went to the late show.  I swear there was a 5:30/6PM show.  Let me look at my daily schedule sheet...

Yes, there are normally 3 shows a night at the B'way theater.

30 minutes ago, jcpc said:

Duplicate

Edited by PistolPete13

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

During my sailing the seating for the theater opened up and 9:30PM and the show started around 10-ish.  I only went to the late show.  I swear there was a 5:30/6PM show.  Let me look at my daily schedule sheet...

Yes, there are normally 3 shows a night at the B'way theater.

Our sailing is not full.  I think the waiter at dinner last night told us 3200 passengers on board.  So maybe they only needed 2 shows.

By the way, due to rough weather we’re missing Port Canaveral and the private island.  Tomorrow we dock in Miami at 7am for a full day then Nassau on Thursday as scheduled.  We’re doing the 7.5 hour Miami excursion that includes an airboat tour of the Everglades, an alligator show and touring Miami including Little Havana.  Looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

By the way, due to rough weather we’re missing Port Canaveral and the private island.  Tomorrow we dock in Miami at 7am for a full day then Nassau on Thursday as scheduled.  We’re doing the 7.5 hour Miami excursion that includes an airboat tour of the Everglades, an alligator show and touring Miami including Little Havana.  Looking forward to it.

Interesting, I would've thought Port Canaveral and Ocean Caye would be reliable stops given their dedicated piers, especially PC.  It must be a bad storm!

EDIT: It looks like bad winds is the main cause.

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PistolPete13 said:

Interesting, I would've thought Port Canaveral and Ocean Caye would be reliable stops given their dedicated piers, especially PC.  It must be a bad storm!

Yes gale force wind gusts up to 50mph.  It’s not too bad for us right now.

IMG_3220.jpeg

My theories about the noise are that they think loud noise generates excitement, and our ship was half full so no bodies to absorb some of the noise.  
I didn’t notice too much noise in the buffet because I think with the ship not full it was never crazy crowded.  
perhaps they own stock in hearing aid companies lol so they want us to need them sooner than later 😂

• Haha 1

I didn't find it any louder than a newer RCL or NCL ship. Seemed about the same. Could always find a quiet spot if you wanted too. The upstairs adults only bar had nice jazzy type music at night. The Edge bar was quiet, same with the Champagne bar. The Horizon bar outside was quiet during the day (my hangout spot), late at night it was party zone.

Edited by nferr

I agree about the noise levels. Nowadays every entertainment venue or live music act seems to think louder=better. 
We’ve been on the Mera three times and just got off the Seascape a week ago. Everywhere was LOUD. Theater shows, live bands, DJs. Hard to have a conversation in any of the bars (except YC) in the evening because of the volume. Even on the YC pool deck-constant bombardment with music. I don’t mind background music but the volume got to be so loud on one day that I had to ask the bar staff to turn it down. Also you can not have a peaceful walk around Ocean Cay as every 20ft there’s a speaker pumping out music. Is this really necessary? I love a good party, but I also value been able to relax in peace and quiet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mackfam said:

I agree about the noise levels. Nowadays every entertainment venue or live music act seems to think louder=better. 
We’ve been on the Mera three times and just got off the Seascape a week ago. Everywhere was LOUD. Theater shows, live bands, DJs. Hard to have a conversation in any of the bars (except YC) in the evening because of the volume. Even on the YC pool deck-constant bombardment with music. I don’t mind background music but the volume got to be so loud on one day that I had to ask the bar staff to turn it down. Also you can not have a peaceful walk around Ocean Cay as every 20ft there’s a speaker pumping out music. Is this really necessary? I love a good party, but I also value been able to relax in peace and quiet. 

My head is still hearing music hours after disembarking!  The only truly quiet places for us were in our cabin and in the sensory relaxation room and salt room in the Aurea Spa.