Upgraded cabin

I have an Iona cruise booked for October half term, and on logging in today I saw we've been upgraded from large inside to LB grade seaview, which I am surprised about as it's a saver fare! On doing a dummy booking it appears all 3-4 berth interior cabins are sold out so that may be why with it being a school holiday sailing. Very chuffed as I wanted a seaview but couldn't afford it.

However I was just wondering with the cruise being so far away is there a chance it could get downgraded again, or now I've been upgraded will I remain at that grade or above? I don't want to tell my family the good news if it might be taken away! Does anyone have any experience of this please?

Edited by SquishTheWhale

3 minutes ago, SquishTheWhale said:

is there a chance it could get downgraded again

I cannot say that I have ever heard of anyone being downgraded once a cabin has been allocated but there is nothing to say that it will not. The time to be concerned will be around the time that final balances are due.

I am surprised that a cabin has been allocated so far out as I thought that allocation of guaranteed cabins was only done a few weeks pre sailing

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SquishTheWhale said:

I have an Iona cruise booked for October half term, and on logging in today I saw we've been upgraded from large inside to LB grade seaview, which I am surprised about as it's a saver fare! On doing a dummy booking it appears all 3-4 berth interior cabins are sold out so that may be why with it being a school holiday sailing. Very chuffed as I wanted a seaview but couldn't afford it.

However I was just wondering with the cruise being so far away is there a chance it could get downgraded again, or now I've been upgraded will I remain at that grade or above? I don't want to tell my family the good news if it might be taken away! Does anyone have any experience of this please?

I have no experience of this, but I would be very surprised if you were to be downgraded. Like you I guess that if your original cabin was a 3 or 4 berth cabin, which you dont need, then that could be why they have moved you, to accomodate a family booking.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, david63 said:

I cannot say that I have ever heard of anyone being downgraded once a cabin has been allocated but there is nothing to say that it will not. The time to be concerned will be around the time that final balances are due.

I am surprised that a cabin has been allocated so far out as I thought that allocation of guaranteed cabins was only done a few weeks pre sailing

I know they don't always, but we also had a cabin number for the large inside so for some reason they are doing them far out.

Thank you both- maybe I won't tell the husband until after final payment just in case it disappears!

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I have no experience of this, but I would be very surprised if you were to be downgraded. Like you I guess that if your original cabin was a 3 or 4 berth cabin, which you dont need, then that could be why they have moved you, to accomodate a family booking.

We do need the 3 berth sorry just to clarify- we were moved from a 3 berth large inside into a 3 berth seaview. Insides are totally sold out if I do a search for a 3 berth now but there is availability in seaviews, so maybe at some point since I last looked at the booking a couple of months ago they upgraded us so they could sell the large inside again.

1 hour ago, SquishTheWhale said:

We do need the 3 berth sorry just to clarify- we were moved from a 3 berth large inside into a 3 berth seaview. Insides are totally sold out if I do a search for a 3 berth now but there is availability in seaviews, so maybe at some point since I last looked at the booking a couple of months ago they upgraded us so they could sell the large inside again.

Enjoy the upgrade 👍

• Like 1

After reading this @SquishTheWhale, I've just checked our saver fare for Arvia in September, in the hope that our LB outside has been upgraded to a GA balcony.  No such luck, but at least we know the cabin number.

👍🏻Well done on your upgrade, which probably would have cost you a minimum bid of £150 per person if you had gone that route. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TigerB said:

After reading this @SquishTheWhale, I've just checked our saver fare for Arvia in September, in the hope that our LB outside has been upgraded to a GA balcony.  No such luck, but at least we know the cabin number.

👍🏻Well done on your upgrade, which probably would have cost you a minimum bid of £150 per person if you had gone that route. 

Lots of time left so fingers crossed for you!

I think the seaview cabin prices are inflated due to availability but it prices at £1k more than I paid for the large inside at the moment

• Like 2

Yes, they do tend to attract a premium. When we booked however, there wasn't much difference above the highest grade inside, and that is why we went the saver route, and also because there are only four accessible LB cabins and we knew where the location would be.

We wouldn't be bothered about an upgrade to be fair, and we certainly wouldn't bid for one, especially as the next grade accessible cabin is a GC balcony, and we're not keen on the locations of them.

If you've potentially saved a grand you have done really well, @SquishTheWhale; I'm pleased for you 😊

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Yes, they do tend to attract a premium. When we booked however, there wasn't much difference above the highest grade inside, and that is why we went the saver route, and also because there are only four accessible LB cabins and we knew where the location would be.

We wouldn't be bothered about an upgrade to be fair, and we certainly wouldn't bid for one, especially as the next grade accessible cabin is a GC balcony, and we're not keen on the locations of them.

If you've potentially saved a grand you have done really well, @SquishTheWhale; I'm pleased for you 😊

@TigerB we just booked a saver fare for an accessible balcony cabin, and our TA was able to choose our cabin the day after we booked, so we already know the cabin number. If you use a TA it might be worthwhile asking them if they can do the same.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice John👍🏻

We've always gone direct and have gone the saver route just twice. As I had previously mentioned, we knew exactly where the location of the four LB cabins were for our September cruise, so knew we would be happy with any of them. Now we know the number, but I'm not sure if that is the one with the pole in. Makes no odds if it is; I'll take my thong just in case.

When we booked for Arvia last April at only eight days before sailing, there were just three inside cabins in the grade we were looking at, and all were in locations that we would have been happy with. I recall mentioning to the lass that of those three, our first choice would have been 15322. She then asked if we wanted to pay another (about) £350 each to secure that cabin at the select rate; that was a hard NO, we would take the chance with the £649 each we were going to pay on the saver rate; the extra OBC was paltry and we already had some compensatory OBC. As it happens, the confirmation email was received less than two our later, with our cabin allocation: 15322.

• Haha 5

39 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Thanks for the advice John👍🏻

We've always gone direct and have gone the saver route just twice. As I had previously mentioned, we knew exactly where the location of the four LB cabins were for our September cruise, so knew we would be happy with any of them. Now we know the number, but I'm not sure if that is the one with the pole in. Makes no odds if it is; I'll take my thong just in case.

When we booked for Arvia last April at only eight days before sailing, there were just three inside cabins in the grade we were looking at, and all were in locations that we would have been happy with. I recall mentioning to the lass that of those three, our first choice would have been 15322. She then asked if we wanted to pay another (about) £350 each to secure that cabin at the select rate; that was a hard NO, we would take the chance with the £649 each we were going to pay on the saver rate; the extra OBC was paltry and we already had some compensatory OBC. As it happens, the confirmation email was received less than two our later, with our cabin allocation: 15322.

We do have cabin preferences because my wife's stroke left her with only one good hand her left, so we prefer a bathroom set up with the toilet against the left wall, where the rail gives her more support than the flimsy drop down rail, and our TA was able to secure just such a cabin for us.  If you used our TA would have no need pack your thong.😉😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

You might have a bit of competition this time ...download.jpeg.jpg.a08e203463056d09cc449ede94b86839.jpg

Actually, I do have a pink Stetson, MB!😉

The mankini is a good idea though, plenty of capacity for folding money. I may get me one of those!🤭

• Haha 2

After reading that @terrierjohn had booked via a TA and found out the cabin number, just checked our 2 early saver bookings made via a TA and on the P&O Mycruises page it shows the cabin no (sadly no upgrade) but over a year to go on the first so still plenty of time. 

• Like 1