Turbulence Flying Over Drake Passage

Suzanne123

I have always wanted to visit Antarctica, but stories about the storms of Drake Passage scare me to death.  30 ft waves?!

Anyway, I am considering the “Fly the Drake” cruise with Lindblad.  

“Get a head start on your Antarctica experience by flying across the Drake Passage from Puerto Natales to King George Island, landing at the Chilean research station which permanently operates there.”
So my question is if the winds/weather are bad at sea ( Drake Passage), would that not make flying really turbulent, too?

Thanks.

On 2/6/2024 at 12:56 PM, Suzanne123 said:

I have always wanted to visit Antarctica, but stories about the storms of Drake Passage scare me to death.  30 ft waves?!

Anyway, I am considering the “Fly the Drake” cruise with Lindblad.  

“Get a head start on your Antarctica experience by flying across the Drake Passage from Puerto Natales to King George Island, landing at the Chilean research station which permanently operates there.”
So my question is if the winds/weather are bad at sea ( Drake Passage), would that not make flying really turbulent, too?

Thanks.

The main downside of flying to King George Island is that on apparently rare occasions, these planes can't land there due to poor local weather conditions,  resulting in delays which could shorten your time in Antarctica. 

Edited by taxatty
  • Like 1