Best cruise-line for Norwegian Fjords?

Well this is really annoying.

We searched and searched and finally found our Best-For-Us Fjords Cruise, covering both of the two UNESCO fjords that are closing soon ... Geirangerfjord and Nærøyfjord stopping in Flåm, Hellesylt and Geiranger. (YC class in the MSC Euribia).  Booked it.

(Hellesylt and Geiranger are very close.  Hellesylt was only a one-hour touch-and-go; most of the port time was in Geiranger.)

Today we learned that MSC dropped Geiranger from the itinerary completely!  What that *probably* means is that the ship won't sail down the beautiful eastern arm of Geirangerfjord.

I don't care about docking in the port of Geiranger, but sailing down that arm of the fjord is (to me) a big deal.  The whole point to this cruise was to hit both of these two UNESCO fjords.  Not *almost* go to these fjords.

Of course, there's no way to confirm where the captain plans to sail.  (Heck, they haven't even explained *why* they changed the itinerary.)

Has anyone had this type of sudden itinerary change?  I can't imagine that there's any recourse.  I'm sure I could cancel, but I'm equally sure that MSC wouldn't give me a refund.

I'm guessing that this means I'll hire onto an "excursion" to take a ferry or tour-boat from Hellesylt to Geiranger, and bus back to port.  Anyone have suggestions?

9 hours ago, allisonfamily said:

Has anyone had this type of sudden itinerary change?  I can't imagine that there's any recourse.  I'm sure I could cancel, but I'm equally sure that MSC wouldn't give me a refund.

If you read my earlier posts on this thread, the same thing, more or less, did happen to me as well. The cruise I'd booked for a similar itinerary was drastically changed. Luckily mine happened enough in advance that I could find another itinerary and just have them move my deposit. I'm not sure what your situation is.

At least you may have the option to do Geirangerfjord on your own; that's something. There is a forum here on CC that includes the Northern Europe ports including Scandinavia. It's likely you could find tour recommendations there. Having been to several of these countries in the past, local tours are generally very well run, safe, and conscious of timing to get passengers back to ships.

We did all of that in 2004 on a final sailing out of Dover on the HAL Noordam...it was great....however, anyone planning on the rail trip from Flam should know that bookings fill outrageously fast....make them early, like a year out, maybe more.

1 hour ago, thinfool said:

We did all of that in 2004 on a final sailing out of Dover on the HAL Noordam...it was great....however, anyone planning on the rail trip from Flam should know that bookings fill outrageously fast....make them early, like a year out, maybe more.

The schedule and tickets for a given year become available in about mid-December of the preceding year. 

I made my reservations about 2-3 days after the schedule was released in Dec 2023 for Aug 2024 sailing. As of a couple of weeks ago, most of the times that would work for cruise passengers were already sold out for my trip.

• 3 months later...

We are booked on a Norway cruise with Holland of America (Rotterdam ship) for 2025 and they do mention in the itinerary some "scenic cruising" . I found an interesting one with Sky Princess but I don't see anywhere that they do Scenic cruising in the fjords, I chatted with one of their agent and he told me that if there is cruising in the fjords it would be indicated in the itinerary. I would love to book with Princess but if they don't do the fjords I will stay with Holland.  The Hurtigruten cruise line is also very interesting but they do not have any balcony cabins...if anybody knows if Princess cruises the fjords, I would love to know 🤔 merci 

12 minutes ago, Florida snowbirds said:

I found an interesting one with Sky Princess but I don't see anywhere that they do Scenic cruising in the fjords

If sailing into fjords to Geiranger, Flåm, skjolden or Olden it will be scenic cruising when sailing in and out from those ports.-

11 minutes ago, hallasm said:

If sailing into fjords to Geiranger, Flåm, skjolden or Olden it will be scenic cruising when sailing in and out from those ports.-

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the confusion,  my original post #30

was more detailled, I don't know what happened ....

3 hours ago, Florida snowbirds said:

The Hurtigruten cruise line is also very interesting but they do not have any balcony cabins...

We did a Hurtigruten Norwegian coastal cruise a few years ago and just loved it. Balconies mean nothing to us so I understand it that's a deal breaker for you. Everything about it we just adored. We had actually booked a one-way cruise there and then covid struck. Haven't ruled it out for the future.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Florida snowbirds said:

The Hurtigruten cruise line is also very interesting but they do not have any balcony cabins

Double check about which Hurtigruten ship.  Some do have balconies.

For example, the Trollfjord has a few balcony suites on the upper decks, aft.

I'm not sure which other Hurtigruten ships have any balconies.

I'm not sure about their newer expedition ships, but those probably don't ever (?) do the Norwegian Coastal cruises.

GC

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Double check about which Hurtigruten ship.  Some do have balconies.

For example, the Trollfjord has a few balcony suites on the upper decks, aft.

I'm not sure which other Hurtigruten ships have any balconies.

I'm not sure about their newer expedition ships, but those probably don't ever (?) do the Norwegian Coastal cruises.

GC

PS: I've been meaning to write you back about Hurtigruten. Hopefully tomorrow. Here's one 🙂 Our 'baby' crane.

crane.jpg

9 hours ago, Florida snowbirds said:

Hurtigruten cruise line is also very interesting but they do not have any balcony cabins...

Some cabins have balcony - but you’ll not be in your cabin much and it might also be cold - also check Havila Voyages - same schedule as Hurtigruten.

Nothe that Hurtigruten has two different offerings - the Original Coastal voyage which is the daily ferry service with 34 ports from Bergen to Kirkenes and also Signature Voyages which is more ‘cruise like’ with long stop each day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hallasm said:

Some cabins have balcony - but you’ll not be in your cabin much and it might also be cold - also check Havila Voyages - same schedule as Hurtigruten.

Nothe that Hurtigruten has two different offerings - the Original Coastal voyage which is the daily ferry service with 34 ports from Bergen to Kirkenes and also Signature Voyages which is more ‘cruise like’ with long stop each day.

Thank you very much, greatly appreciated