Denied Access with International Passport

When you register for your cruise a selection is made for what type of identification will be used. If you select passport then you enter the number and other pertinent information. That's the one you'd bring to board.

Side note; for US cruises that are closed loop and don't require a passport there are posts that claim "if you are injured and need to disembark you cannot get home." That's not true, we've had this experience twice with family and friends. Both couples were traveling with a birth certificate and Texas Drivers License, and both had a parent die. They were headed back to Houston aboard a plane before the ship left port. The port agent for Carnival was fantastic in handling the situation.

11 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

When you register for your cruise a selection is made for what type of identification will be used. If you select passport then you enter the number and other pertinent information. That's the one you'd bring to board.

Side note; for US cruises that are closed loop and don't require a passport there are posts that claim "if you are injured and need to disembark you cannot get home." That's not true, we've had this experience twice with family and friends. Both couples were traveling with a birth certificate and Texas Drivers License, and both had a parent die. They were headed back to Houston aboard a plane before the ship left port. The port agent for Carnival was fantastic in handling the situation.

This is good to hear

13 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

Those posts are sometimes about people who miss the ship which is a whole other thing.  The cruise line is under no obligation to get you home if you get back too late to make ship's movement.

5 hours ago, BND said:

Those posts are sometimes about people who miss the ship which is a whole other thing.  The cruise line is under no obligation to get you home if you get back too late to make ship's movement.

Which is why I addressed that first. The part you reference was added as anecdotal.

My wife and I have had passports since our 20's. We are both over 60. We fully get the value.

5 hours ago, BND said:

Under no obligation but do you think if someone missed the ship the port agent would not give any help? Obviously in BallFour4s scenario the cruise line had time to make it happen and happen fast. Missing the ship I expect would take  more time with or without a passport. Passengers who miss the ship who only have a birth certificate have managed to fly back. Since most cruise lines allow passengers to cruise on closed loop cruises without a passport I am guessing they do provide some help if passengers miss the ship. 

Edited by Charles4515

14 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Under no obligation but do you think if someone missed the ship the port agent would not give any help? Obviously in BallFour4s scenario the cruise line had time to make it happen and happen fast. Missing the ship I expect would take  more time with or without a passport. Passengers who miss the ship who only have a birth certificate have managed to fly back. Since most cruise lines allow passengers to cruise on closed loop cruises without a passport I am guessing they do provide some help if passengers miss the ship. 

I didn't say they wouldn't give any help but the cruise line is under no obligation to do so. There have been posts by people who did miss their ship and while they got some help sometimes, it was on them to figure out their visa/passport issues.  The cruise line can't apply for an emergency passport, only the traveler can.  Either way, it's not the same as someone whose cruise is interrupted due to a death in the family.  When someone misses the ship, that's usually on them.  Ships can and do leave people standing on the pier.  If they were really obligated, they could pull back in and pick them up, but they don't.  Anyway, my real point was that you get a lot more help when it's an emergency situation than when it's a stupidity one.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

Which is why I addressed that first. The part you reference was added as anecdotal.

My wife and I have had passports since our 20's. We are both over 60. We fully get the value.

We've had passports for decades.  More than worth the cost.

I must have missed it, but you said they looked you up?...How did they look you up? Is there a registry where each citizen is listed?.....All 380 million of us? The whole deal sounds bizarre.

1 hour ago, spunks said:

I must have missed it, but you said they looked you up?...How did they look you up? Is there a registry where each citizen is listed?.....All 380 million of us? The whole deal sounds bizarre.

There are a number of registries of US citizenship. OP had a US passport. Unfortunately they didn’t bring it. So they could have looked that up. How did you get the figure that there were 380 million of us? Yep, the US census registers all 380 million of us. Again unfortunately a particular document was required. Being on a registry or database was not sufficient. Maybe some day it will be…..

Edited by Charles4515