Carnival trip protection with AON Affinity

Leetzie74

I am having a big surgery with a lengthy recovery and high chance of infection.  Our cruise isn't until the end of June and my surgeon has told me there is plenty of time for recovery BUT there is always that chance that things can go wrong as with any surgery.  We booked the cruise a year ago and got trip protection through Carnival.  My question is:

My husband and two kids will be traveling with me.  We booked two cabins, one in my name and one in my husband's name.  If I run into complications and have to cancel the cruise would only my cabin be covered or would both be covered since we are a family traveling together.  If I have problems my husband will have to stay home with me and obviously my two teens wouldn't be able to go either.  I called Carnival and they couldn't answer my question so now I'm hanging.  I just want to get solid answers before we pay $5K and find out later we aren't covered.

Calling Carnival will do no good. All they do is sell the insurance. Asking us probably won't do any good cause we don't validate the claim. Your best bet would be to call AON.

Having expressed all those disclaimers, I'm thinking you're covered as a family. Also, since the insurance you bought includes the Cancel For Any Reason rider, you can cancel the entire trip up to scheduled sailing time and receive a 75% credit towards a future cruise if worse comes to worse.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Calling Carnival will do no good. All they do is sell the insurance. Asking us probably won't do any good cause we don't validate the claim. Your best bet would be to call AON.

Having expressed all those disclaimers, I'm thinking you're covered as a family. Also, since the insurance you bought includes the Cancel For Any Reason rider, you can cancel the entire trip up to scheduled sailing time and receive a 75% credit towards a future cruise if worse comes to worse.

Thank you.  I will call AON to verify.  If we aren't covered for cash back at least we will get a 75% cruise credit.  Lets just hope it's honored at a later date.  I've read stories of things not being upheld.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leetzie74 said:

Thank you.  I will call AON to verify.  If we aren't covered for cash back at least we will get a 75% cruise credit.  Lets just hope it's honored at a later date.  I've read stories of things not being upheld.

The CFAR provision is underwritten by Carnival, not AON - so if you do end up needing to use that provision you'd call Carnival to file the claim. Confusing, I know.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Do you have a copy of the policy?  It should spell out what is covered and how much.

I read the policy and it states my medical reason would be covered plus all my family but since I am booked in one cabin and my husband is booked in another my question would be if both cabins would be covered for a refund since they are separate bookings.  I’m afraid they may only honor my cabin.

8 minutes ago, Leetzie74 said:

I read the policy and it states my medical reason would be covered plus all my family but since I am booked in one cabin and my husband is booked in another my question would be if both cabins would be covered for a refund since they are separate bookings.  I’m afraid they may only honor my cabin.

Ok. Gottcha

2 hours ago, Leetzie74 said:

What would prevent your husband from sailing? I am assuming he would need to be your caretaker? 

48 minutes ago, sexy1engineer said:

what are other companies that provide trip protection plz?

Pretty much any insurance company sells travel insurance. insuremytrip.com sponsors a board on this forum for example.

18 hours ago, sexy1engineer said:

what are other companies that provide trip protection plz?

Here's the cruise critic insurance board 

Cruise/Travel Insurance - Cruise Critic Community

My preferred vendor of choice for my travel insurance needs is a broker (kind of like a TA but can guide you to an insurance plan that fits your needs AND will help if you need help when filing a claim)

Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)