Quality of food?

Mapomp

1 hour ago, Missmelisk said:

Thanks for the update, SanteFe1! Do you happen to have a copy of the menu or explain more about what is NOT italian?

I think I may have posted a photo of the new menu, when I was on the Star.  I started a "Live From Viking Star Hawaiian Island Sojourn 28 Dec. 2023"  Topic is active again, as @SantaFe1 is on Star now, same itin., continuing Live From if you want to look for it, in the 1st few pages.

Sorry did not save it to my phone.

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

We tried the new menu in Manfredis last night, menu #4.  And like most others really missed the old menu.  This is most definitely NOT Italian.  We were told that about 90% complained about the change in menu.  I hope we get another menu in May for our BIE cruise. 

I also missed the old menu -- Osso Bucco especially.  However, the calamari-shrimp app was really fine -- had it 3 times.  Another new item was the grilled seafood entree.  Be sure to try the new Castanea dessert.

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

Are we distinguishing between Italian and Italian-American? Lots of what we (in the USA) call Italian food isn't recognized as such in Italy. Perhaps some Manfreddi's menus are more one vs the other?

That may be the case for some items. The newer bistecca fiorentina (without the seasoning rub with mushroom powder, brown sugar, etc), is more authentically Italian than the old offering with all the sugary things. When we were on board Neptune (late December until early January) they were offering both. For me, the newer, less fussed-about steak (no mushroom powder, no brown sugar) was the better one. 

On 2/12/2024 at 1:55 PM, May B said:

Don’t forget to check out the pool grill for lunch. Burgers made to order are great but also a wonderful ahi tuna grilled to order. And two versions of hot dogs. IYKYK. Also a salad bar similar to what’s offered at the World Cafe.

Bon voyage, jondfk!

The pool grill has the best onion rings that I've had anywhere. The maitre d' told me that's because they marinate the onions in buttermilk for 24 hours. They have a thin-ish crust and are absolutely delicious. I got a few on the plate with my burger and after tasting them, asked for a bigger amount as a side dish, which they happily made fresh for me.

• Like 3