Quality of food?

Mapomp

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Really? Considering booking a Great Lakes cruise. Curious as to why reservations?

The Restaurant is smaller on the Expedition ships and the WC is much larger (we never had any issue finding a nice table for breakfast, lunch or dinner) and has a much wider selection and cooked to order items at the Grill within the WC, including steaks, lobster tails, etc. Our experience was after placing your order at the grill, a server would ask where we were sitting and would deliver our food to the table. We found the WC to be a very good dining experience despite our usual preference for a table service venue. There is also a dedicated cold seafood area with a great selection of crab legs, shrimp, mussels, etc. and a large made to order sushi area. We had no problems getting reservations at the Restaurant or Manfredi's on any evening we wanted, at times as late as 5:00pm the day of. After the first day or so, I noticed that pax were gravitating to the WC due to the flexibility, quality and selection.

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Just chatted and asked about this. Seems that reservations start at 6 pm. Not crazy about having to make them. I can understand it for Manfredi's and Chef's table (which isn't on Expedition anyway).

There is Manfredi's on the Expedition ships, just no Chef's table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ropomo said:

There is Manfredi's on the Expedition ships, just no Chef's table.

I know, but thanks for mentioning anyway. Thanks for all that great info! Sounds really nice. We wound up eating dinner at WC the latter part of the cruise on the Mississippi. Most other times, on ocean ships we were in the restaurant. I think we'll have to try the Great Lakes for the expedition ship experience.

Edited by OnTheJourney

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I know, but thanks for mentioning anyway. Thanks for all that great info! Sounds really nice. We wound up eating dinner at WC the latter part of the cruise on the Mississippi. Most other times, on ocean ships we were in the restaurant. I think we'll have to try the Great Lakes for the expedition ship experience.

The Mississippi had its own unique challenges. I hope they’ve been sorted out.

We found it easier to get a second Manfredi’s reservation than a third Restaurant reservation on Octantis. I think it was the first summer they were in the Great Lakes. Thoroughly enjoyable experience (our first Viking).

It was clear from your post that you understand what’s on offer on the expedition ships.

Edited by May B
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, May B said:

It was clear from your post that you understand what’s on offer on the expedition ships.

Not really. Just from what I've been reading.

26 minutes ago, May B said:

The Mississippi had its own unique challenges. I hope they’ve been sorted out.

Well, I'll say this. I didn't care for eating right next to that open kitchen design in the restaurant. It's interesting and all to watch what they're doing, but the noise factor is a bit much. So then we wound up finding a nice quiet place all the way in the back near the wine racks. That was ok till others discovered it as well. The one couple seemed insistent on always having the window table and went as far as to stop by before they even started serving and plopped a wine bottle on "their" table. Another couple that didn't know about this came in the one night and wondered why they couldn't have the window table - didn't seem too happy when they found out. At that point, yet, there was no wine bottle on the table but the waiters quickly explained the situation (that there would be shortly). Guess giving the waitstaff a big tip every night has its benefits! So anyway, we decided to bail out and ate the remaining dinners up in the cafe. Found it more relaxing, faster, and, of course, bigger food choice. Entertaining at times too with some of conversation and friendly banter between the bartenders and guests, etc.. Plus, the great views on either side. Mississippi is a unique ship. We really enjoyed it except for not getting to most of the ports. I don't think we'll do it again, but glad we did. Used vouchers from the Viking Sky 3/23/19 Northern Lights incident.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

I have been on a Viking Ocean very recently & we ate at all of the dinning area's, Manfredi's (twice) which was just okay! nothing special it was better than the Chef's Table but that wasn't to difficult Sorry!! (we went there twice), Manfredi's is supposed to be Italian inspired, not sure about that, I have been to Italy at least 20 times (from South to North) & it doesn't resemble anything Italian. Now the Restaurant was excellent, had great choice & we didn't have a bad meal, the daily menu was excellent. 

On 2/15/2024 at 6:24 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Then you should try the ocean ships. I think you'd like that as well.

Actually, our second Viking was an ocean, on the Jupiter last June. Very enjoyable!

Mr B, who says you only have one chance to make a first impression, actually gave them a second chance, thank goodness.

We have the triple M booked for Dec. 1st of this year.

I have my eye on a river, but it would be in 2025 and we can’t decide what date to do. What a life! Very fortunate to be able to do all that we do.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 7:03 AM, dx052 said:

better than the Chef's Table

Interesting. Generally, we've found CT to be excellent. Manfredi's also was very good except for one or two entree choices I had there. We greatly enjoy both. Restaurant, we feel, is also quite good to very good. But, yeah, can't hardly compare cruise ship food to a great restaurant in Italy. I'd never expect it to be the same. Cooking for 900+ people.

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

Malta, Morocco, & the Meddy. We’re doing it in March 2025.

Wish we were going as soon as that, Linda.  We have it in Nov. 2025, over Thanksgiving.  I can’t wait for that one.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2024 at 4:32 AM, millybess said:

The Restaurant is first come, first served.  If you want to eat between 6-6:30, make sure you get there very early.  By 6:00 the line up is well past the elevators.

This is very cruise dependent. On Sky now and a line is a rarity and we are close to full. 

Unlike previous cruises, getting into Manfredi’s before 8pm has been a little difficult.  Thankfully, we prefer Chef’s Table if we want something different. 

Regarding overall quality of food, we have noticed a lowering of quality and variety since the pandemic. It’s still well above mainstream cruiselines, but not as good as it used to be.  Best examples being the steaks-thinner, poorer quality and cold seafood.  In the past, the dishes served in the Restaurant and the World Cafe were similar but not the same-a turkey tenderloin in the Restaurant and carving roast turkey at the buffet for example. In this cruise at least, the menus are usually exactly the same, merely the plating is different.

These changes are not a deal breakers for us, but does make us think about trying Oceana given all the good things we hear about their food. 

Well, we’ve now enjoyed 4 evenings on board Star enroute toward Hawaii.  I’m beginning to form some opinion regarding the food versus Oceania and Seabourn.

Viking stack up well overall for food quality, as noted elsewhere a bit bland / under seasoned but well within my acceptable range.  The variety of choices on each given menu is fine but I’d have to say O typically offer more selections for each course with more dramatic flavoring options.  Where I think Seabourn come out ahead is in their every day alternatives their steak was vastly superior in flavor and preparation.

Overall, at this stage O remains my preference though it’s easy to imagine someone else ranking Viking at the top.  The differences are not vast.  Included wines have been acceptable though I prefer the O scheme which offer a choice from a small (fixed) menu, staff on Star have made it clear I can request a prior selection, but it’s on me to keep track, Seabourn was likewise.

About the line up, this is a clear demerit for Viking, to be assured a seat a breakfast one must arrive 20 or more minutes prior to opening, arriving “on time” will have you redirected to WC.  Nothing of the sort ever happens on SB or O.  Likewise, at lunch and dinner, the line begins to form 30 minutes prior with choice tables gone well before official opening (seating typically starts 15 minutes prior to opening, also true on O, sometimes true on SB).  The decision to limit capacity / guarantee disappointment baffles us.  We’re told this cruise has skewed far older than usual, perhaps partly to blame.  I counted 26 canes and 7 walkers in the line up for dinner one night, nothing wrong with that though perhaps Viking could use the demographics to decide how fully to staff the Restaurant.  It’s quite unreasonable to redirect 10s of people with canes to a self service venue in 30 foot seas.

Ill post again later in the voyage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jondfk said:

Well, we’ve now enjoyed 4 evenings on board Star enroute toward Hawaii.  I’m beginning to form some opinion regarding the food versus Oceania and Seabourn.

Viking stack up well overall for food quality, as noted elsewhere a bit bland / under seasoned but well within my acceptable range.  The variety of choices on each given menu is fine but I’d have to say O typically offer more selections for each course with more dramatic flavoring options.  Where I think Seabourn come out ahead is in their every day alternatives their steak was vastly superior in flavor and preparation.

Overall, at this stage O remains my preference though it’s easy to imagine someone else ranking Viking at the top.  The differences are not vast.  Included wines have been acceptable though I prefer the O scheme which offer a choice from a small (fixed) menu, staff on Star have made it clear I can request a prior selection, but it’s on me to keep track, Seabourn was likewise.

About the line up, this is a clear demerit for Viking, to be assured a seat a breakfast one must arrive 20 or more minutes prior to opening, arriving “on time” will have you redirected to WC.  Nothing of the sort ever happens on SB or O.  Likewise, at lunch and dinner, the line begins to form 30 minutes prior with choice tables gone well before official opening (seating typically starts 15 minutes prior to opening, also true on O, sometimes true on SB).  The decision to limit capacity / guarantee disappointment baffles us.  We’re told this cruise has skewed far older than usual, perhaps partly to blame.  I counted 26 canes and 7 walkers in the line up for dinner one night, nothing wrong with that though perhaps Viking could use the demographics to decide how fully to staff the Restaurant.  It’s quite unreasonable to redirect 10s of people with canes to a self service venue in 30 foot seas.

Ill post again later in the voyage.

Thanks for your information.  Glad to hear that the food is similar to Oceana. Sorry to hear of your difficulties in obtaining seating in The Restaurant.  In our nine VO cruises we have never experienced any delay at breakfast or lunch and only a short wait (mostly for someone to walk us to the table) at dinner.  Maybe it would help to arrive 30 minutes after opening?

“Safe” is the perfect way to describe Viking food; it’s generally competent but not very creative. We just finished a week in the Caribbean on Virgin, and overall food was better than Viking with a few really standout meals. Vastly better options for those with dietary restrictions too.

4 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

“Safe” is the perfect way to describe Viking food; it’s generally competent but not very creative. 

I couldn't agree more!

We do much enjoy the more "creative" (for lack of a better description) on Oceania. For example, the pea vicchyssoise, sea bass in puff pastry, lobster gnocchi.

We do not get to enjoy this kind of fare on any other ship. We love it (and remember fondly), but admit it is not for everyone who might better enjoy a steak and potato.

17 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

“Safe” is the perfect way to describe Viking food; it’s generally competent but not very creative. 

Certainly, agree with this description for the Restaurant and World Cafe.  Many here dislike the Chef's Table, but we enjoy it because it's not safe as you describe.  I assume Viking is simply catering to their client base with the safe menus.

59 minutes ago, mwike said:

Certainly, agree with this description for the Restaurant and World Cafe.  Many here dislike the Chef's Table, but we enjoy it because it's not safe as you describe.  I assume Viking is simply catering to their client base with the safe menus.

Actually, I feel like it's more than catering to the base. I think it's the Viking brand. The core isn't the scandinavian blond wood, it's a sense of safety, calm, comfort. Hygge? To be clear, I don't mean this as a negative -- all brands have to have a style of their own.

Food: broad appeal from most dishes without fancy technique (except Chef's Table)

Music: better to be predictable than to stand out. eg: ABBA

Public environment: comfortable furniture, friendly service

You go out for the day and explore, and come back "home" to your ship.

Or else I'm just reading a lot into my own ideas. 8-)

-- Ethan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mwike said:

Many here dislike the Chef's Table, but we enjoy it because it's not safe as you describe. 

I think they serve very safe renditions of recipes that perhaps some on Viking have never tried.  We like the Chefs Table best, but it certainly isn’t adventurous or highly spiced.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 9:55 AM, WanderingBrit said:

They may be branching out a bit lately. We’ve seen several Filipino dishes on the menu, such as pork adobo and pork sisig. Plus there is the usual suckling pig, served in its entire, crisp, delicious glory. The dish itself is not that adventurous, granted, but the presentation always seems to startle a few people. I am a big fan of suckling pig, but I couldn’t compete with the lady ahead of me who asked for an ear! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We tried the new menu in Manfredis last night, menu #4.  And like most others really missed the old menu.  This is most definitely NOT Italian.  We were told that about 90% complained about the change in menu.  I hope we get another menu in May for our BIE cruise. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

We tried the new menu in Manfredis last night, menu #4.  And like most others really missed the old menu.  This is most definitely NOT Italian.  

Thanks for the update, SanteFe1! Do you happen to have a copy of the menu or explain more about what is NOT italian?

56 minutes ago, Missmelisk said:

Thanks for the update, SanteFe1! Do you happen to have a copy of the menu or explain more about what is NOT italian?

Are we distinguishing between Italian and Italian-American? Lots of what we (in the USA) call Italian food isn't recognized as such in Italy. Perhaps some Manfreddi's menus are more one vs the other?

• Like 2