Looking for recommendations for 7 days in June/July for our group of 6

mrsh8b

We are a family of five adults and a 13 year old.  We are comparing Silversea because it’s all inclusive with Royal Caribbean and Holland America (but would happily consider other lines). When we consider costs, I’m unclear if there is a big difference once all the extras on the less expensive ships are factored in.  What’s important: good sightseeing from the boat, places to get together in public areas, availability of things to do in ports. What’s not important:  we are not gourmet eaters so good but not amazing food is ok, we don’t need a lot of nighttime entertainment, the sky is not the limit but we will only do this once so we want something nice and haven’t cruised in 20 years.  Also if we travel north from Vancouver, are only the cabins on one side of the boat scenic?  Finally thoughts on round trip from Vancouver vs. one way north to Anchorage.  Right now we favor the latter.  Thanks for your suggestions

• Like 1

I have not cruised Silversea but if that is a solid option, I say go for it!  A good friend of mine cruised Silver Muse last year and still raves about it.  I think Nova is sailing from Vancouver, which looks like a really nice ship.  

You might look at Viking and check out Hurtigruten if you are interested in getting off the beaten path.  Unless you are planning on a land tour, I would go with a round trip out of Vancouver.  

1 hour ago, wolfie11 said:

You might look at Viking and check out Hurtigruten if you are interested in getting off the beaten path.  Unless you are planning on a land tour, I would go with a round trip out of Vancouver.  

Viking doesn't allow a 13 year old.

For scenic cruising, make sure the ship goes through the Inside Passage east of Vancouver Island. Some larger ships can’t sail the Narrows, so they go west of Vancouver Island, out at sea. Ships from Seattle all sail west of Vancouver Island. Cabin side doesn’t matter much, as there is land on both sides in the Inside Passage all the way to Alaska and from port to port in Alaska, except on the one way northbound cruises, where the ship crosses the Gulf of Alaska, where you can’t see land on either side. For best scenery while cruising, a round trip from Vancouver which sails east of Vancouver Island would be ideal.

• Like 1

Silversea would be very boring for a 13 year old. I found it stuffy when I sailed them and I was 3x that age. They rarely have kids on their ships.

Edited by Casey12