Pre registering credit card

Happietraveller

In MVJ, go to "Payments & Cart" tab, then click on the "Onboard Credit Card" tab as shown below. Did you already get there and couldn't do it? (Note that you can't list a Mastercard, only Visa)

image.png.155c6d6db43cd8a4ab7ebc28dbd3c16f.png

15 minutes ago, Happietraveller said:

Hi can anyone help please.  I can’t figure out how to pre register our credit card.  I pose the question in ‘my Viking journey’, but there are no hits, and nowhere to ask a ‘real’ question.  Any clues?

12 minutes ago, formernuke said:

In MVJ, go to "Payments & Cart" tab, then click on the "Onboard Credit Card" tab as shown below. Did you already get there and couldn't do it? (Note that you can't list a Mastercard, only Visa)

Also note that the saved credit card information is ONLY for use on the ship. It is NOT used when buying excursions or other items on MVJ. You will need to re-enter your info at checkout.  On the other hand, ACH info is saved and can be used for faster checkout when purchasing optional excursions.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Thanks 1

I recently learned, that option isn't available for Australian customers. Someone asked about it on the book of faces page in a group, I included a similar screenshot, and after a few more comments, someone posted/realized that it doesn't work for customers in Australia. And I say that because I see you have NSW in your info.

And like @OneSixtyToOne said, using the ACH for excursions is WAY easier! We didn't have to enter anything.

24 minutes ago, formernuke said:

image.png.155c6d6db43cd8a4ab7ebc28dbd3c16f.png

I went to pre-register my card as well...but was unable to as it's a Mastercard...so...do they let you register a Mastercard once on-board? Anyone know?

8 minutes ago, BradDFWTX said:

I went to pre-register my card as well...but was unable to as it's a Mastercard...so...do they let you register a Mastercard once on-board? Anyone know?

Ahi don’t get the credit card option!  And ours is Mastercard.  Probably explains it.  Thank you for clarifying.

26 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Also note that the saved credit card information is ONLY for use on the ship. It is NOT used when buying excursions or other items on MVJ. You will need to re-enter your info at checkout.  On the other hand, ACH info is saved and can be used for faster checkout when purchasing optional excursions.

Thank you.  Yes thought I’d tried everything.  Ours isMastercard so I dont get the ‘credit card’ option in payments. Thank you.  I berate myself for being a techno dummy…and often discover it’s not me!  It’s the system.  😁

23 minutes ago, Happietraveller said:

Ahi don’t get the credit card option!  And ours is Mastercard.  Probably explains it.  Thank you for clarifying.

I'm sure it's because you're in Australia...

And now I see my comment about this didn't post, it's being "reviewed" probably because I mentioned a certain other site in its backwards name. Oh well...

On another site I learned, after also giving them that same screenshot, that Australian's don't have this option. So it doesn't even matter what card you're trying to use, it won't show up.

Edited by kctwinmommy

It is not required to register a credit card in advance and therefore I don't.  I don't want my credit card info sitting on Viking servers any longer than necessary. It takes less than a minute at check-in to swipe the credit card. 

• Like 3

On last cruise, didn't preregister, nor at check-in.  If desired, one can even pay in cash at end.  Just go to GS to tell them, as I did and was expecting to give deposit, but was not required, possibly because I had  a nice OBC, both non-refundable and refundable.  Then, much later in voyage, changed mind, and gave them AMEX, which proved to be to my advantage.

3 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

I'm sure it's because you're in Australia...

And now I see my comment about this didn't post, it's being "reviewed" probably because I mentioned a certain other site in its backwards name. Oh well...

On another site I learned, after also giving them that same screenshot, that Australian's don't have this option. So it doesn't even matter what card you're trying to use, it won't show up.

Lol…they don’t recognise our currency?  😂😂. Thank you.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

It is not required to register a credit card in advance and therefore I don't.  I don't want my credit card info sitting on Viking servers any longer than necessary. It takes less than a minute at check-in to swipe the credit card. 

Lol…I have a husband who likes to ‘tick all the boxes’.  😁 thank you.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Happietraveller said:

Right!? I also learned that while we've done the sale of $25 for a booking deposit on a cruise, residents of the UK have to do 25% to secure their deposit. Just so strange some of the differences between countries.

52 minutes ago, Happietraveller said:

Well, they do and they don't. It probably has more to do with the Australian laws and regulations that govern commerce and banking than with the currency itself. And it has to do with computer software and the credit card companies.

But don't worry,Viking will take your money, one way or another.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can register a MasterCard from any country at check in, but not in advance.  They will use a MasterCard over the phone for any payments, though.

As a side note for anyone finding this thread later, for *online use* pre-cruise, your ACH bank account and credit card billing addresses and currencies must match the currency of the original booking.  So for example, if you booked a cruise in CAD and subsequently moved and you now have bank accounts and credit cards in USD with a US billing address, you will not be able to use them online for that booking.  You can use the credit cards by phone, but ACH is no longer an option.

😞 Ask me how I know… 😞 

• Like 3