Carnival Freedom greek itinerary bad!

voyages

Have you seen the itinerary for the new ship Carnival Freedom for 2007. Lousy, I don't know why they call it the mediterrenean and Greek Islands. They don't stop at any of the popular Greek islands like Mykonos or Santorinia or Corfou. Instead they will be at dock for the last day in Rome before disembarkation. They would of been better off to add one of the more popular ports of call on the way to or on the way back from Turkey. Shore excursions out of Civitavechia into Rome are very expensive, a waste of time because it takes 2 hours to get into Rome if your lucky with traffic and 2 hours to come back to the ship. So you only get to see the highlights and don't get to visit the vatican or any of the most important sights, only an overview.

And then on the next day you disembark and go either to the airport for your flight home or some real sightseing with a couple of nights in Rome. Price of shore excursion for 2 is more expensive than 1 night in a good hotel in Rome for 2 (about $250.00usd). What a waste of time. Who ever did this itinerary was way off the track. If it wasn't for this the rest of the itinerary is great and so is the price. But if I do make up my mind after comparing with other options and decide to go with Carnival, I will definetly make this an eleven day cruise instead of 12. I will get off with my luggage when we get into Rome and stay there for a couple of nights. This is ridiculous to come back to spend the night in Civitavechia just to pack up and then go back the next day.

We should all complain to Carnival and have them add another port, then they would really be in business.

What do you think?

Denis

Actually it's great and I'll be taking it

It's so funny when people seem to get bent out of shape over somthing - like the fact that this cruise may be stopping in places that they don't like. Well, gee.......don't go then.......With all the ships out there, I am sure you can find another one that does go where you want it to go.

Myself, as well as many others seem to think the itinerary is great. Nobody says that you have to go to Rome on the last day, and then come back to the ship, and then go back to Rome.

With Carnival being as successful as they have been, I think the decision makers are on the right path, and I am sure there are thousands of others like me that will be booking their cruises on the Freedom very soon. I think we can expect this cruise to sell out.

It's so funny when people seem to get bent out of shape over somthing - like the fact that this cruise may be stopping in places that they don't like. Well, gee.......don't go then.......With all the ships out there, I am sure you can find another one that does go where you want it to go.

Myself, as well as many others seem to think the itinerary is great. Nobody says that you have to go to Rome on the last day, and then come back to the ship, and then go back to Rome.

With Carnival being as successful as they have been, I think the decision makers are on the right path, and I am sure there are thousands of others like me that will be booking their cruises on the Freedom very soon. I think we can expect this cruise to sell out.

You go goo!!!

Sorry couldn't resist. :D

I think we'll just enjoy relaxing on the ship the last day but if you want to get off early I think you would need to ask Carnival about that.

We are planning to drive along the Italian and French Rivieras after the disembarkation so we'll spend a couple of days in Rome pre-cruise.

Hopefully we'll be able to rent a car at the port drive along the coast and return via Switzerland and the Italian lakes where we'll join our flight home.

Joyce

Is there a strategy on Monday when this opens up for sale? Will the "prime" rooms go like hot cakes?

What will go first - aft balconies???? Or what else?

I have never bought a cruise like this - usually we just pick one with the best rates and find a cabin in our range so I feeling the pressure to get the best I can since it may be gone very quickly.

If we decide based on cost to just do an inside is there any reason to put money down now?

Should I grab an aft balcony for now and also an inside and let them hold the $500 per person deposit?

What do other people do?

Thanks

Is there a strategy on Monday when this opens up for sale? Will the "prime" rooms go like hot cakes?

What will go first - aft balconies???? Or what else?

I have never bought a cruise like this - usually we just pick one with the best rates and find a cabin in our range so I feeling the pressure to get the best I can since it may be gone very quickly.

If we decide based on cost to just do an inside is there any reason to put money down now?

Should I grab an aft balcony for now and also an inside and let them hold the $500 per person deposit?

What do other people do?

Thanks

Hmmm, I guess I didn't realize that Carnival deposit requirements for Europe cruises is $500 pp. :mad:

You make some interesting points. I wonder how this is going to work on Monday? I'm trying to put together a group for the Freedom 9/22 sailing and I'm betting cabins will go fast!

Don't like the itinerary? Then don't flippin' go. Doesn't get much easier than that. It's not as if Uncle Bob is holding a gun to your head and making you book. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know what happens if you book on your own and then switch your reservation to be booked with a group? Can you do that? I thought I saw where prices for the group would not be available until Tues or Wed.

Cayce

Cayce, that's a good question! I know you can book direct on some cruise lines and then transfer the reservation to your TA. But whether or not that would work for a group sailing is probably a question for a good TA.

I'll keep an eye on this post just in case someone knows the answer.....

Linda

Archived