What is it that's giving Viking No 1 spot on ratings ? I don't get it

phillipahain

1 hour ago, molymoo said:

Interesting ... Have been a 4:00 AM person for more than 45 years.  Was my wake up, get up time while working and commuting so it is pretty much in my DNA now.  Have done more than 10 VO cruises and never had any issues getting coffee from the WC in the wee hours.  Would happily use the in room coffee maker but it's a bit complex for my tastes ... my daughter is in charge of the later cups.  

We obviously have different experiences.

On 2/13/2024 at 10:40 PM, CurlerRob said:

Two pragmatic suggestions that may improve your experience:

1. Slow service in the Explorer's Lounge - sometimes a function of new staff and training levels. Go to the bar and order. The bartenders will clearly recognize that you have been waiting and they will coach the staff to be more responsive to you. Usually only takes one or two visits to fix the issue - and you get your drink when you want it.

2. Your guitarist sounds frighteningly like ours on our December Hawaii cruise - she was abysmal, to the point that (at least for me) she was destroying the atmosphere in my favourite ship location. I provided guest services with polite, written feedback, suggesting that she be offered some 'time off' on alternate days. I suspect I was not the only one, as we received a thank you call from the CD and the performer's hours were curtailed. 🍺🥌 

I was on one of the December Hawaii cruises and agree with your comments on the entertainment in the Explorer Lounge.  Also one of my favorite places on the ship.  Happy sailing!

13 hours ago, EagleKG said:

I was on one of the December Hawaii cruises and agree with your comments on the entertainment in the Explorer Lounge.  Also one of my favorite places on the ship.  Happy sailing!

I believe that this is a ship by ship experience.  We have loved every guitarist that we have encountered on Viking and we love the Explorer Lounge, and never found the service to be slow, unless it is full to capacity, which is not our experience.

Well, I got to this thread late.  I also do NOT understand how Viking Ocean got rated #1.

First, we sailed the Mars from Bali to Sydney when it was a brand new ship.  To be fair, we feel it was one of the most well designed ships and a joy to walk around and enjoy.  The cruise director was one of the best we have ever seen, bar none.

However, our dealings with Viking started about a year ahead when their requirements were: Pay now, in full, no exceptions.  Sort of different from all other cruise lines we sailed on, but OK, done. 

Next, Indonesia had some pre-arrival Covid app that absolutely did not work.  Viking response did not offer any help or suggestions, just "do it", even though it did not work for us or our other friends we went with.  Indonesia (I think) finally just gave up and never checked our compliance on our arrival.  No help from Viking.

I understand the concept of Chef's Table ... what the chef designs for the evening is what you get.  Not Viking's fault, but I have shrimp allergy.  At the restaurant;  ok no substitutions, we will take the shrimp off, you can have the underlying lettuce base.  Similar (but less stringent) treatment at other dining venues.

Lastly, disembarkation in Sydney was at some boonie docks maybe 5 miles out of the city.  Find your own way to your hotel.  The final insult was, the next morning, seeing the Viking Mars docked at the Sydney Circular Quay ready for the new passengers.

I think we are just not used to the Nordic attitude.  Here it is, what you see is what you get, and normally quite decent and good.  It's just how it is presented.  We're Regent loyalists and used to being coddled a bit more.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kane said:

However, our dealings with Viking started about a year ahead when their requirements were: Pay now, in full, no exceptions.  Sort of different from all other cruise lines we sailed on, but OK, done. 

It's always a good thing that they let you know that upfront before you book because at that point you can decide if you want to have more dealings with Viking.

29 minutes ago, Kane said:

Not Viking's fault, but I have shrimp allergy.  At the restaurant;  ok no substitutions, we will take the shrimp off, you can have the underlying lettuce base.  Similar (but less stringent) treatment at other dining venues.

The food at the restaurant is included, so I'm not sure what you mean by "no substitutions".  If I had a shrimp allergy and all they did was "take the shrimp off", I would have a problem with the "underlying lettuce base" being anywhere near me.  Seafood allergies can be extremely serious.

35 minutes ago, Kane said:

We're Regent loyalists....

?

I have a shellfish allergy. The times we sailed with Viking, I notified Chefs Table in advance (as I did with Viking pre-cruise) and they had substitutions for me. Maybe that has changed since Covid, but Viking was always cognizant of my allergies. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kane said:

I understand the concept of Chef's Table ... what the chef designs for the evening is what you get.  Not Viking's fault, but I have shrimp allergy.  At the restaurant;  ok no substitutions, we will take the shrimp off, you can have the underlying lettuce base.  Similar (but less stringent) treatment at other dining venues.

We have run the range of diets over the years.  We have been Vegan, Keto, Vegetarian, Pescatarian, and we currently are full diet and eat everything.  

Viking has been our home away from home through several of these diet changes that we have had and we have found them nothing but accommodating in every way.

I am sorry that your dietary restrictions were not supported and occasionally we hear of this on CC, but I don't understand because again, Viking have been so accommodating.

We have a friend that we travel with that has a shellfish allergy but restricted to oysters.  Many of the dishes in The Chef's Table (especially Asian inspired) use oyster sauce in the recipe.  They happily remake the sauce for her omitting the oyster sauce and replacing with soy or some other ingredient.

When we were in our Vegan phase (no offence to Vegans) we were on a Viking River ship.  Each night the restaurant manager came to us and offered us remakes of each dish or a chef inspired dish of the night made just for us.  We were a table of 8 friends travelling together and more often than not, our friends wished they said they were Vegan because the chef inspired dish they viewed as more appetizing than the regular menu.  This kitchen and restaurant team were truly inspired and proud of what they produced and they should have been.  The food was delicious.

On Viking Ocean there is a "dietary manager" (can't remember the actual title) that is responsible for guests with food allergies and restrictions.  We have met that person/position on several Ocean cruises and we have been taken care of royally.  

Again, sorry to hear of your experience.  It should not have been like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hockeyump said:

Regarding disembarkation I assume you made your own arrangements for a post cruise extension so Viking not responsible for your hotel transfer.

We did our own post-excursion in Lucerne DIY, and Viking arranged for a cab to take us from the ship to the train station in Basel (of course we had to pay for it, but they handled the arrangements).

• Like 1