Single best St Lucia recommendation for 50 year olds

Spencer71

What do you think is the absolute can't miss thing to do while we're in St Lucia? We have never been before. We are two couples, about 50 years old and we like a variety of things, both unique and traditional, and we don't all have the same interests. If you've been before, let me know which tour operator you used. Thanks so much!

19 minutes ago, Spencer71 said:

What do you think is the absolute can't miss thing to do while we're in St Lucia? We have never been before. We are two couples, about 50 years old and we like a variety of things, both unique and traditional, and we don't all have the same interests. If you've been before, let me know which tour operator you used. Thanks so much!

Select a Tour with (imho) the best… https://www.cosol-tours.com

• Thanks 1

St. Lucia is a gorgeous, lush island. Just note that no matter how good the tour, if you're looking to get deep into the southern part (e.g., close to Soufriere and the Pitons), you're talking about some winding, bumpy, narrow mountain roads. We recently did "See the Pitons by Bus," which takes you only within sight, and it took an hour+ to get back to the ship.

• Thanks 1

Cosol Tours!!!

Here is a copy of the Cosol Tour.

The tour is about 6- 7 hours.

A non-refundable deposit of $20 pp is required to secure booking. Balance can be paid in advance or in cash.

Confirmation reply required. You are guaranteed to be back in time.

We will be stopping every 10 mins for your "wow" photo moments. Entrance fee to the volcano is included in the price.

We will be visiting the banana plantation where you will learn about the banana growth. Then we drive through two fishing villages, Anse La Raye and Canaries. Also, if time permits, we will be visiting Marigot Bay where the movie Dr Doolittle was filmed.

Then, we will be stopping to sample the local fish cakes, johnny cakes, coconut cakes, and a variety of local fruits from the Island. We will have a mobile bar with complimentary rum punch, water, local beer and sodas.

As we descend towards the town of Soufriere we will have an overlook of the twin pitons. 

We will be taking the water taxi to Sugar Beach, which is located between the piton for swimming and snorkeling. During the ride you will enjoy the unbelievable views of the coast. 

Please bring along your snorkeling gears. It is also available for rental for US$10 per set.

Then, to the only drive-in volcano in the world, you can either do the volcano tour or mud bath.

For the Volcano tour, you will be getting an informative guide to show you around and give you a brief history of the place.

Or you could dip in the mineral mud bath and feel relaxed and rejuvenated.

We recommend wearing dark bathing suits for the mud baths, as the sulphur in the water may stain suits.

There will also be a stop at Morne Fortune viewing point, you will have a brief view of the city and a view of the Governor General House. You can also shop for local souvenirs to take back home.

Bring along your camera and towels. Because of the small changing room at the stops, it is advisable to wear your swimsuit under your garment to save time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

We want to avoid the long bus/van ride or overcrowded cats so we’re looking at private excursions through the options @reedprincess shared, some that include water taxis…
Some private cats as well if you gather others through your roll call to get the price down..,

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...

We were on NCL Viva last week. We booked the land and sea adventure tour with Spencer Ambrose tours. Spencer himself met us, but he was feeling sick, so had many others running things. There were quite a few people there, so it took a while to load the boats. He had three boats full with about 15 people per boat. After ~10 min, our boat slowed due to a motor dying, then another 10 min and the motor died. Fortunately, a catamaran passing by us stopped, and we all transferred over. The tour guides were energetic and kept us happy. There was a lot of people at the mudbaths, it was hard to get around, and confusion about where to leave our stuff, when to leave, etc, so that slowed us down, but after applying the mud and sitting in the water, we drove to the waterfall, which was crowded, but not as bad as the mudbaths. Quite refreshing and cool to stand under the waterfall. Bought coconut bread for $1 from a woman nearby, which was amazing. Took a different boat to the beach near the Pitons. They gave us Creole lunch, which was so-so. I didn't eat a lot of it as I wasn't sure how long it had been sitting out. Snorkeling on that beach was amazing. Saw an octopus. Took a different boat back to the ship. What a fun day!

That sounded like a blast!!

Keep this in mind anytime your on a speedboat with Spencer Ambrose one of the boats ALWAYS breaks down and Spencer is always sick. 

That's just how it is. Love the guy, boat always breaks down and Spencer doesn't feel good.😳

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_water said:

Not our idea of a great excursion, just because of the typical tourist stops. But happily you enjoyed it!

One things certainly for sure Marigot Bay, Sugar Beach aka Jalousie Beach Plantation and maybe Souffriere on a private cat tour or otherwise aren't "your typical tourist stops".😳-----------🫤

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Pitons are " not your typical tourist spot"? Last 5 or 6 times I was there thank God Spencer took us in the speedboat otherwise we would have been sitting out in the jungle with all the other tourists who couldn't find a spot on the beach. Sugar Beach was slammed packed.......with tourists just like us.😎

Edited by TTEllis
Typo

1 hour ago, TTEllis said:

The Pitons are " not your typical tourist spot"?

Depends on your vantage point really…

We and other couples on our cruise have arranged for a nice, private cat sail for a small group (at a great price), just to avoid the congested spots like the Springs and Waterfalls. Nothing wrong with those as they are probably the biggest draw for new visitors…

We do want to view the Pitons and other areas of the coastline from the cat, and we may decide on some beach time, depending on the vibe at that time…But if too busy not a biggie 😉

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 2:19 PM, blue_water said:

Depends on your vantage point really…

We and other couples on our cruise have arranged for a nice, private cat sail for a small group (at a great price), just to avoid the congested spots like the Springs and Waterfalls. Nothing wrong with those as they are probably the biggest draw for new visitors…

We do want to view the Pitons and other areas of the coastline from the cat, and we may decide on some beach time, depending on the vibe at that time…But if too busy not a biggie 😉

If you're wanting some beach and swim time at a very uncrowded beach, have your cat captain sail past the Pitons to Anse I'Vorgne, on the south side of Gros Piton. 

Crystal clear water, virtually no one on the beach ever, no facilities either really..  

It's stunning though, and shallow enough to swim and snorkel around a bit in peace...

• Thanks 2

reedprincess can one book a private tour for the day at the beach you mentioned Anse I'Vorgne? 

Like most other cruisers I've swam at Jalousie many times, I just want to go somewhere different next year. I could spend my whole day on this beach if I can find a tour operator to take me.

The beach you mentioned sounds like a plan. I could do that plus just like everyone else I love the south side of the island the water is consistently beautiful every time.

Thank you for your help. 

Btw the ocean on the south side of the island that's the real Atlantic that's why the water is always so deep blue, it's deep, nicest and best swimming water ever. 

Edited by TTEllis

22 hours ago, TTEllis said:

reedprincess can one book a private tour for the day at the beach you mentioned Anse I'Vorgne? 

Like most other cruisers I've swam at Jalousie many times, I just want to go somewhere different next year. I could spend my whole day on this beach if I can find a tour operator to take me.

The beach you mentioned sounds like a plan. I could do that plus just like everyone else I love the south side of the island the water is consistently beautiful every time.

Thank you for your help. 

Btw the ocean on the south side of the island that's the real Atlantic that's why the water is always so deep blue, it's deep, nicest and best swimming water ever. 

The waters around the Pitons are the Caribbean sea. They're deep - volcanic eruptions and all - but it's definitely the Caribbean around the Caribbean 

Down south, around VF, still considered the Caribbean - the general consensus for where they switch over is Moule a Chique, Vieux Fort.. 

Any taxi driver should be able to take you to Anse I'Vorgne.  There aren't any facilities, keep that in mind - no bathrooms, food, chairs, etc.  And whether they'll drive you down or have you walk - make sure to ask.. it's a 30 minutes walk down, easily an hour back up... It's a steep road/path down.. 

Also, by car, it's a solid 35-45 minutes south of Soufriere Beach Park, for instance.. at least 30 more minutes by car than Jalousie, for instance.  

Personally, by car, Soufriere Beach Park, when coming from the North, all the way.. Super easy access right off the highway, chairs and palapas, clean bathrooms, showers, restaurant, snack bars, bar, souvenirs, picnic tables, crystal clear absolutely calm waters and stunning views across the bay. Fab snorkeling along the cliffs and around the pier .   See the review posted by Voyager recently... 

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2984111-snorkeling-sites-for-limited-mobility-person/#comment-67176607

Or Malgretoute maybe, with Paradise Beach Hotel.  You can make a reservation for chairs and umbrellas, have lunch, snorkel, some Watersports of sorts and smack at the base of Petit Piton... 

Anse I'Vorgne by car is a challenge... By boat, super easy, especially as they'd have the boat for facilities, food, drinks, etc. 

Edited by reedprincess

Thanks reedprincess that sounds like a bit much to get there by taxi and I have to have a bar and restroom. 

I'm looking at sailings for next year and St. Lucia keeps showing up on the itineraries. Love the island been going now for 25 years if I end up back on the island for a day I really wanted to do something I hadn't done before. Thanks for your help.

14 hours ago, TTEllis said:

Thanks reedprincess that sounds like a bit much to get there by taxi and I have to have a bar and restroom. 

I'm looking at sailings for next year and St. Lucia keeps showing up on the itineraries. Love the island been going now for 25 years if I end up back on the island for a day I really wanted to do something I hadn't done before. Thanks for your help.

Pigeon Island? Ruins, beach, hikes .

Vigie Beach?

Calabash Cove and beach?

Day pass at Rendezvous?

Lunch at Pink Plantation and Vigie Beach?

Around the island, spending 3 or 4 hours at Laborie Beach? 

Fond Doux tour and pool, lunch, chocolate experience? 

Reduit Beach, but stay in the south end by Marie's Fish Shack?

Soufriere Beach Park really is lovely, well taken care of, local feel but very warm and welcoming to visitors, and not crowded at all - long stretch of beach.. 

Without knowing everything you've already done, it's tough to make suggestions.

Good luck and enjoy 

Thank you reedprincess!!

Day Pass at Rendezvous that's a great idea!!

Fond Doux tour that sounds right up my alley. Chocolate experience on St. Lucia definitely right up my alley.

Calabash Cove I can do one of these.

Here's the deal I LOVE Cosols tour I love Herods tour. Spencer's Beach Break I don't know if I want to do those anymore. 

I was trying to avoid the drive through the island at the same time have a beach or a pool to chill out on for the afternoon. 

Thank you for the great recommendations. They'll work.

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

8 hours ago, TTEllis said:

Thank you reedprincess!!

Day Pass at Rendezvous that's a great idea!!

Fond Doux tour that sounds right up my alley. Chocolate experience on St. Lucia definitely right up my alley.

Calabash Cove I can do one of these.

Here's the deal I LOVE Cosols tour I love Herods tour. Spencer's Beach Break I don't know if I want to do those anymore. 

I was trying to avoid the drive through the island at the same time have a beach or a pool to chill out on for the afternoon. 

Thank you for the great recommendations. They'll work.

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

You could check with Shashamane Water Taxi or Israel King Water Taxi or Joe Knows or Captain Dells for water taxi down to Soufriere. They'll pick up right at the port Then, once I. Soufriere, grab a taxi to Fond Doux, tour the working plantation and the chocolate experience there (they grow some for Hershey still)... amazing lunch on site, they grow virtually all their produce, etc.  all locally owned and operated, unlike Hotel Chocolat, owned offshore and you can't even buy the chocolate here in St Lucia! Lol..  or the water taxi guys will arrange the whole day for you ..

If you do go by land to Soufriere, stop at Cacao St Lucie in Belvedere for some amazing local chocolatiers.. The all women locally owned and operated artisanal chocolate shop and restaurant is divine..the do Sunday brunch, and usually lunch - all cocao inspired . And their various artisanal chocolates are sublime.. hit Soufriere Beach Park, eat at Seashells right there at The Still on the beach....

Rendezvous is a beautiful, laid back AO resort, you could walk from the ship, may e 20-25 minutes or so, from Pointe Seraphine, 30+ from La Place Caranage..  can is $10. Beautiful lush grounds, lovely beach, delicious food, activities or quiet 

Calabash Cove is one of my favorite happy places on island. The views, the food, the serenity, the staff - all works together for our delight. 

Pigeon Island, if you haven't been, is wonderful - history, hikes (easy), beach, SNUBA, facilities....

Good luck deciding..