Volendam ocean view cabins on deck 2- advice needed

Ready2go11

I am getting ready to book a great deal on a fall cruise on the Volendam. First time on this ship. I plan to book in lowest obstructed ocean view and add CO for the upgrade to category C. Much better price that way. 

Since I am heading south once in the Atlantic, is port side better to face inland? Or does that matter?

More importantly, upgrades to category C available include cabin 2635. Seems good because it has cabins above and below on decks 1 and 3 (not under the atrium).  However, in the middle of that deck the interior hallway faces a large gray area on the deck plan. Does anyone know what that is?  Concerned it may be mechanical and noisy. 

Another option is 2587. This also has cabins above and below but faces interior staterooms across the interior hallway. So would be possible people noise but manageable. 

Anything else to consider on deck 2 mid or other advice on the cabins noted above?

Many thanks in advance!

We always thought a lower deck oceanview cabin near the open aft decks was one of  the best kept secret on this class of  HAL ships -a few steps out the open back deck where there are loungers to view the sea.  Particularly for long cruises when upfront cost-cutting becomes more critical

We spent over 50 days in a similar cabin on a former sister ship (old Rotterdam - lots of storage in those cabins) next to a central  "gray area"  and had no issues at all. There was an occasional "electoral" odor in the exterior hallway -so we assumed there was some sort of equipment in that area. But there was never any noise or any disturbances in our cabin. 

Our own feeling about obstructed views when booking a lower priced cabin is anything that lets in daylight in the morning  is good enough for us when cruise price is a major consideration and we don't want to book an inside.

Views from this level are not as critical as higher up.  Others say they love just being able to look out at the sea close by their more "water level" view and see birds and fishes, rather than sweeping vistas into the horizon from higher up. Enjoy and don't forget to take advantage of the aft -deck at the rear end of your hallway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I sailed 32 days in 2550 last year.  It was a great cabin, I had absolutely no complaints except for occasional heating ac transitions. 

I did exit the aft numerous times and did note shaking even while sailing. I would avoid the far rear rooms

5 hours ago, Ready2go11 said:

More importantly, upgrades to category C available include cabin 2635. Seems good because it has cabins above and below on decks 1 and 3 (not under the atrium).  However, in the middle of that deck the interior hallway faces a large gray area on the deck plan. Does anyone know what that is?  Concerned it may be mechanical and noisy. 

I believe the gray area is where the funnel, and everything that pours into it, is located. It was not noisy when I have walked by. 

5 hours ago, Ready2go11 said:

Another option is 2587. This also has cabins above and below but faces interior staterooms across the interior hallway. So would be possible people noise but manageable. 

Of the two cabins mentioned, this is the one I would choose. It is close to mid ship, with two elevator banks/staircases nearby, making it handy getting to/coming from any location. 

• Like 1

Several years ago, family members booked the connecting cabins 2633 and 2635 on the Zaandam, sister ship to the Volendam. They were very disappointed to find that they both have a significant amount of vibration. They eventually got used to it but weren’t happy. So perhaps check out what those cabins are like on the Volendam. We had an inside on Deck 3 years ago on the Volendam and were happy with it. Good size and only a few steps to get out onto the Promenade deck.

We have stayed in a similar cabin and found mid ships to be noisier than aft and there was early morning noise when the deck above was being washed, chairs extended/put out etc. Otherwise, this was a beautiful ship to sail on.