New Zealand Arrival Declaration

Will be sailing from Sydney to New Zealand and returning to Sydney on the Celebrity Edge ship.  Does anyone know  if you have to fill out this declaration online or does the ship hand out paper forms to be completed?

2 hours ago, Cruiseskier said:

Will be sailing from Sydney to New Zealand and returning to Sydney on the Celebrity Edge ship.  Does anyone know  if you have to fill out this declaration online or does the ship hand out paper forms to be completed?

The NZTD is still being trialled regarding cruise ship travel.

Even if your ship is part of the trial, they should still have paper forms as a back up.

• Like 1

Cruise ship passengers are being trialled for the New Zealand Travel Declaration (NZTD), so not every cruise ship passenger has to complete the declaration. Has Celebrity notified you that your ship/cruise is one being trialled for the NZTD? If so, Celebrity should be telling you what you have to do. If not you don't have to worry about it.

This is from the NZTD website -  NZTD

The NZTD system is still being trialled for cruise ship travellers. If you are travelling on a cruise ship which is trialling the digital declaration, your cruise ship company will share information with you about the trial.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sciencewonk said:

You are probably already aware, but you need an NZeTA for New Zealand and an ETA for Australia.  There are apps for both that are easy to use.

NOTE- Recently on a South American cruise, people were debarked half way through the cruise due to having,

A) no visa for Chile,

B) the wrong type of visa,

C) their visa had expired.

Do not rely on the cruiseline to tell you or organise it, check it yourself and organise it yourself.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, sciencewonk said:

You are probably already aware, but you need an NZeTA for New Zealand and an ETA for Australia.  There are apps for both that are easy to use.

I understand the NZeTa is good for 2 years and the ETA for 1.  Passports often require 6 months remaining until expiration to be accepted.  Does the same apply to these visas?

On 2/26/2024 at 7:44 AM, Al Aboard said:

I understand the NZeTa is good for 2 years and the ETA for 1.  Passports often require 6 months remaining until expiration to be accepted.  Does the same apply to these visas?

I don't know the answer to that.

On 2/24/2024 at 9:02 AM, Cruiseskier said:

On our 4 Feb cruise with Celebrity Edge, leaving Sydney arriving Auckland, there were numerous reminders before our disembarkation day to fill in the NZ declaration for (including for Australians).  Celebrity included a QR scan code on their daily newsletter & we successfully did the declaration that way. 

• 3 weeks later...

We boarded the Grand Princess in Melbourne on Feb 11 and had to complete the New  Zealand traveler declaration. They handed out a piece of paper in regards to everyone completing it before arriving in New  Zealand. You had to do it on your phone or on line.  Takes about 20 minutes to complete.

You can't go wrong with the paper form. On my last return to NZ, I completed the declaration on line and received an email saying it had been successfully completed. However, arriving at immigration, for whatever reason, it hadn't attached electronically to my passport, the email confirmation was of no use - grrr. I had to leave the queue, complete a paper copy and go back to the end of the queue again 😪 Moral of this, I would take the time to fill out the paper copy as a back-up even if I'd already done it on line - once bitten  twice shy.

• Like 3

I asked for a paper copy to fill out on Grand Princess on Feb 11th when I boarded. I was told by staff at Station Pier in Melbourne, that it had to be done by either the camera square on my phone or it had to be filled out on line. My phone would not work, so I had to go to the computer cafe and pay for a day pass to complete the form. 

Im a bit confused ? Just reading the Immigration NZ website re cruise passengers.

We Visited NZ last year without any visa , or NZeTA requirement as an Aussie .

Travellers who do not need an NZeTA

Visa holders and some other travellers do not need an NZeTA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority) before they travel to New Zealand.

Who does not need an NZeTA

You do not need an NZeTA if you:

are a New Zealand citizen travelling on a New Zealand passport

are travelling on a foreign passport that has a New Zealand citizen endorsement

are an Australian citizen travelling on an Australian passport

have a New Zealand Permanent Resident Visa

have a valid visa for New Zealand

are a member of, or someone associated with, a scientific programme or expedition under the Contracting Party to the Antarctic Treaty — you may need evidence to support this, or

are a member of a visiting force, including one of its civilian employees, travelling in the ordinary course of your employment or duty — you may need evidence to support this.

Thanks boeckli , I was not aware of that - strange that we didnt require it on arrival last year in Auckland via air - we were only asked for passports . Thanks for the headsup .

How confusing is this then from the same page 

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/preparing-a-visa-application/your-journey-to-new-zealand/before-you-travel-to-new-zealand/arriving-by-cruise-ship

- Australian permanent residents

If you are an Australian permanent resident you must request an NZeTA before you travel to New Zealand.

Who does not need a visa or an NZeTA

If you are a New Zealand or Australian citizen you do not need a visa or an NZeTA.

3 minutes ago, hammo said:

How confusing is this then from the same page 

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/preparing-a-visa-application/your-journey-to-new-zealand/before-you-travel-to-new-zealand/arriving-by-cruise-ship

- Australian permanent residents

If you are an Australian permanent resident you must request an NZeTA before you travel to New Zealand.

Who does not need a visa or an NZeTA

If you are a New Zealand or Australian citizen you do not need a visa or an NZeTA.

Not confusing really, 

Australian Citizens don't need one,

Australian Permanent Residents do.

You can be a permanent resident without being a citizen. Many people that have lived in Australia since the 50s have never bothered to become citizens (English etc). 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Not confusing really, 

Australian Citizens don't need one,

Australian Permanent Residents do.

You can be a permanent resident without being a citizen. Many people that have lived in Australia since the 50s have never bothered to become citizens (English etc). 

Yes, we have a friend who has been in Australia since the '50s and along with her brothers has never bothered to take out Australian citizenship. She is married to an Aussie and her children and grandchildren were all born here. Another friend (son in law's mother) who came here mid '70s decided to become a citizen when our grandsons came along. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

Yes, we have a friend who has been in Australia since the '50s and along with her brothers has never bothered to take out Australian citizenship. She is married to an Aussie and her children and grandchildren were all born here. Another friend (son in law's mother) who came here mid '70s decided to become a citizen when our grandsons came along. 

My wife's Uncle was going to NZ years ago, had a British passport, but he was a permanent resident. He was told at the airport to get a visa/ permission to return first or he would had trouble coming back to Australia. They missed the flight and went a few days later.

• Like 2

Thanks Mic and Possum its mighty that you are here on CC , 

So in summary , we are on Ovation of the seas to NZ - 10 nights - in 12 days time - can you tell us what we need to satisfy all authorities regarding entry to NZ on a cruise ship  - Aussie citizens obviously with passports .. 

For New Zealand entry.

Visa conditions 

Most Australian citizens don’t need a visa to enter unless you have a criminal record or if you've been deported from any country.

Australian permanent residents need to apply online for a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA) to enter New Zealand. Australian citizens are exempt from this rule.

For more information refer to the NZ Government Immigration website.

If you've been:

• convicted of any crimes, or
  • deported from any country

contact a New Zealand Visa Application Centre for advice well before you travel.

Border measures

Check the latest requirements before you book your travel.

Passport

Validity

Some countries won't let you enter unless your passport is valid for 6 months after you plan to leave that country. This can apply even if you're just transiting or stopping over.

Some foreign governments and airlines apply the rule inconsistently. Travellers can receive conflicting advice from different sources.

You can end up stranded if your passport is not valid for more than 6 months.

The Australian Government does not set these rules. Check your passport's expiry date before you travel. If you're not sure it'll be valid for long enough, consider getting a new passport.

More information:

• Like 1

Didn't need one last week (Resilient Lady / Arrival) into Auckland.

Just filled out the two page 'declaration' form - quickly thru passport control / customs and then straight out into the Queen Street Wharf

On 3/20/2024 at 12:13 PM, MicCanberra said:

My wife's Uncle was going to NZ years ago, had a British passport, but he was a permanent resident. He was told at the airport to get a visa/ permission to return first or he would had trouble coming back to Australia. They missed the flight and went a few days later.

Australian non-citizens who are permanent residents need a 'resident return visa' to re-enter Australia.