Has anyone cruised Japan with Oceania?

MomC

Thanks for your fast response. We will spend the short day in and around Kobe for sure. I'll try to find a private tour that will pick us up early and have us back by 5 at the latest. Perhaps I will need to rob a bank first, JK!

The problem with O’s excursion to Kyoto is the buses are too big to go to the old part of the city. Your sightseeing is thus restricted to the biggest sites. Highly recommend using a private guide there.

• Thanks 1

We had the same schedule for Kobe/Kyoto.  We booked private tours with Pinpoint Traveler.  Our wonderful guide, Lito, picked us up at the port early on the first day and drove us straight to Kyoto. On this day there were six of us.  We were able to do the bamboo forest, some quick shopping, Fushimi Inari, and lunch.  He then took us back to the port by about 7 pm.  The next day he picked us (four of us this day) up early again and we went to Nara.  We fed the deer, visited the temple, and the shrine. We were back at the port in plenty of time for departure.  Theses two days were two of the best on the whole cruise.  HIGHLY recommend a private tour with Pinpoint. While it can be costly, sharing the tour with others made it less expensive than the ship excursion and a thousand times better! 

It is easy to find folks to join you from your CC roll call!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I know I should call Oceania, but it’s Sunday. Question where the Riviera docks in Tokyo and Kobe(Kyoto). Cruise mapper says Tokyo and not Yokohama. We are booked next April. Another port is (Kobe-Kyoto). Cruise mapper says Kobe -Osaka. We overnight there. We want to take a private tour on the first day since we overnight. The second day since we sail at 4 pm, we are taking a ship tour of Osaka.

Any recommendations are appreciated. 

Contacted my TA today. Our cruise April 1-13, 2025 will disembark and embark from Tokyo International Cruise Terminal and not Yokohama. The Kyoto stop is not known at this time . Oceania claims it is too early to know. I guess both our guide and we will need to be flexible.we also need to wait for the “free” hotel  choice to be announced. Some ship excursions are already full. Hopefully this will all work out.

• Thanks 1

Susan,

Do you think we will get to Japan this time? I’ve lost how many times a cruise had been cancelled.

as to your original comment, who knows. Perhaps Oceania did not do very well in geography class. A guide I contacted wanted to know the port but Oceania doesn’t know yet. I guess we will just have to be flexible.

Glad you are scheduled to go. Hope all goes well.

Patty

24 minutes ago, Pearl64 said:

Do you think we will get to Japan this time? I’ve lost how many times a cruise had been cancelled.

Hello Patti!

I think this is the fourth attempt? I am pretty sure the port is Kobe and Oceania has excursions on their page to both Osaka and Kyoto. I am hoping @Jancruz sees this and can share some of her wisdom. I just need to be sure since we have booked a day in Kyoto. Are you on this cruise?

Have just returned from this year’s Insignia voyage (part of world cruise but not for me). We left from the new Tokyo Int’l cruise terminal : much preferred than traipsing to Yokohama. There is one main port in Kobe which serves Osaka and Kyoto. Easy to get to both via ship excursion, private tour or DIY via bullet trains.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2024 at 11:48 AM, pinotlover said:

We are doing an O cruise to Japan starting on 4/1. Doing private land tours on both sides of the cruise. Will report back experiences late April.

Looking forward to hearing about your excursion experiences. Would like feedback on both Private and O tours.

Thanks, 

Felice 😎

On 4/15/2024 at 4:43 PM, Pearl64 said:

Contacted my TA today. Our cruise April 1-13, 2025 will disembark and embark from Tokyo International Cruise Terminal and not Yokohama. The Kyoto stop is not known at this time . Oceania claims it is too early to know. I guess both our guide and we will need to be flexible.we also need to wait for the “free” hotel  choice to be announced. Some ship excursions are already full. Hopefully this will all work out.

Any thoughts on which ship excursions are special enough to book immediately? We are just beginning to research.  Can't figure out where to find good private tours. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Felice 😎

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Can't figure out where to find good private tours. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. 

Take a look at https://gowithguide.com/s?country=japan&t=tours&page=3.  We were on Insignia and had good luck with them.  Better than "Tours by Locals" (usually good but always expensive) in our opinion.

Edited by DrHemlock
  • Thanks 2

On 4/15/2024 at 3:43 PM, Pearl64 said:

1 hour ago, Rainbow3fe said:

I appreciate your help. 

We are n this cruise, too!

Almost certainly the port for Kyoto will be Kobe which is relatively close to Kobe and Osaka and large enough to accommodate cruise ships (and commercial/cargo).