Cabin steward tipping

tmal2

On 2/29/2024 at 6:31 AM, phillygwm said:

Every server I've known expects a tip.  If they didn't, there's no way they could survive in a job that pays a couple bucks/hour.  Now, to your point, are they shocked when they don't get one or when it's less than expected?  No, most are too jaded at that point.

Sad...but so true

I was planning to leave the steward some cash and a 512gig thumbdrive loaded with movies, tv, audiobooks, music etc. I figure that stuff probably has a lot of value for them onboard. I gave a deck of Uno cards to some staff once after running into them in town and they genuinely seemed to love it so...why not?

1 hour ago, zombiehunter said:

I was planning to leave the steward some cash and a 512gig thumbdrive loaded with movies, tv, audiobooks, music etc. I figure that stuff probably has a lot of value for them onboard. I gave a deck of Uno cards to some staff once after running into them in town and they genuinely seemed to love it so...why not?

Did you give them something to plug the thumb drive into?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

trust me, they'd rather have more cash than a thumb drive, any day!

what ever you have loaded on the drive, is probably a reflection of your tastes and may not be of any interest to your cabin steward

Anyone else besides me getting tired of some of the sanctimonious responses in these tipping threads?  

Just pay the DSC and be nice to your cabin steward and don't throw any unreasonable demands at him or her.  I guarantee you will have a great relationship with your cabin steward.

NCL replaced tipping with envelopes to cabin stewards a long time ago.  It is not hard to research the facts.

On a 7 day cruise a party of two is already tipping between 600-700 dollars assuming they get the standard drink package and the specialty dining package.  It is up to NCL to decide who gets what.  

This process was presented to all of us a long time ago as a way to enjoy our cruise without having to tip who and what amount.  I am more than willing to pay what I consider to be my fair share of tips expected. I cannot see a scenario where I would go to guest services and have them removed.

If you are in Haven you are expected to pay extra tips to concierge and butler.  Most of us folk here are in balcony cabins and below.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, seemoreroyals said:

NCL replaced tipping with envelopes to cabin stewards a long time ago. 

Unfortunately there seems to be a relatively large contingent doing everything they can to bring the envelopes back.

• Like 2