Coming home Sunday- 1:05PM FLL flight OR 4pm MIA flight?

johnwashere

Hello,

My wife and I are taking our 2nd cruise together (we are 39) on the RC Allure of the Seas at the end of July in Miami. We get in Sunday to FLL at 2:30pm. We most likely will take the Tri Rail  to a hotel in downtown Miami before we get on our cruise Monday morning. We have never been to Miami but it seems like the trail rail to Miami central than an uber to the hotel would be a decent affordable option.

Our Cruise gets back on Friday morning at 6:30am. We have 2 direct flight options for our way back home. Either 1:05pm leaving FLL with Southwest or 4:00pm leaving MIA on American Airlines.  Do you think its possible to make it to FLL from Miami for the 1:05pm flight? It would be nice to get home earlier but I dont want to have to worry about missing that flight. Both flights are roughly the same price too.

1 hour ago, George C said:

We had similar choice for our cruise in two weeks, we choose to fly out of FLL. 

Gotcha- So do you think a 1:05pm flight from Miami Disembarkation day to FLL is doable? It seems like I would probably be off the boat by 10ish and taking an uber would hopefully make it in time. 

47 minutes ago, johnwashere said:

Gotcha- So do you think a 1:05pm flight from Miami Disembarkation day to FLL is doable? It seems like I would probably be off the boat by 10ish and taking an uber would hopefully make it in time. 

Yes that’s what we will do , most likely you can get off earlier , we will get off 9:30 , takes very little time to go they customs nowadays, about a hour 100 dollars by Uber Lyft or taxi . 

10 hours ago, johnwashere said:

Disembarking on a Friday means you will hit rush hour traffic.  The normal 40 minute (or so) drive to FLL can take 60 minutes or longer.   Disembarking at 9:30 or 10 may mean you miss the worst of it (there is always traffic so that is relative) or it may mean that everything is really tied up.  Personally I would leave a little earlier since I would rather spend time waiting at the FLL than fretting in traffic.

Hmm - ok. Maybe Ill just do the 4pm MIA flight to be safe. That way we can just take our time and possibly get breakfast on the ship before we get off.  Ill have to think about it all.

Thanks everyone!

5 hours ago, Marie51 said:

If your cruise leaves from Miami, why not just fly in and out of Miami, it would be much easier.

Because the flight out of FLL would get me home 3 hours earlier 🙂  It didnt seem like an uber was too horrible to/from miami port to FLL. When I was scheduling it out on Uber/Lyft it was around $50.

Im live down here. The drive time from Port of MIami to FLL isn't bad . The only issue  is it is rush hour.  You will be ok in the beginning as you are leaving downtown but will get some traffic  as you cross into broward.

If you get off the ship early enough, even in high rush hour , you should be ok. You should have no issue getting off the ship at 8 , giving yourself three hours to get to FLL, you will get there by 11.

I would not, however, wait until 10 to get off the ship. You might not hit rushhour but I95 traffic can be very unpredictable. If you want to stay on board longer, then opt for MIA   Just my humble opinion

• 2 weeks later...

We just got home from a Celebrity cruise and everyone had to be off ship by 9:15 am.  We were in Fort Lauderdale, and we were scheduled to get off at 7:50am.  We got off, got an Uber and were at airport at 8:40 am for our 11:45 am flight……so three hours before our flight. Went through TSA in 5 mins….Monday.  If you get off by 8 am, you should have no problem.

Take the early flight!  When I am done vacation I just want to get home not sit around waiting on a flight all day.  They will be kicking everyone off the ship by 9am.  We have taken Uber from Miami to fly home from FLL a couple of times.  It is only a 30 to 40 minute drive.  FLL is an easy airport to navigate.  🙂