Viking Venus British Isles Explorer - pre hotel

Jewelly

1 hour ago, Jewelly said:

Can anyone recommend a pre cruise hotel stay in London? 

If you plan on a few days in London, we always stay at the Rembrandt in South Kensington. It’s literally across the street from the V&A museum and in the heart of the museum district, only a block from the tube station. Very convenient for doing tourist activities. Piccadilly line goes right to the Airport.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

If you plan on a few days in London, we always stay at the Rembrandt in South Kensington. It’s literally across the street from the V&A museum and in the heart of the museum district, only a block from the tube station. Very convenient for doing tourist activities. Piccadilly line goes right to the Airport.

For the same reasons above, we have stayed at the Millennium Gloucester Hotel (a few times)  across the road from Gloucester Road station (also on the Piccadilly Line).

• Like 1

After our British Isles Explorer cruise, we stayed at the Great Scotland Yard Hotel for five nights.  We loved the hotel and found it to be a in perfect location since it is so close to Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey, 10 Downing Street, Churchill War Rooms, etc.  Our ship docked in Greenwich, and we took the Uber Boat by Thames Clipper to the Embankment Pier.  We had planned to get a taxi or Uber from the pier to the hotel, but we ended up walking instead.  It was an easy six minute walk, even with suitcases.  I highly recommend taking the Thames Clipper at some point as the view of London from the river is spectacular.  You could easily take the boat to the dock in Greenwich (unless you are leaving from Tilbury!).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kountess said:

I highly recommend taking the Thames Clipper at some point as the view of London from the river is spectacular.  You could easily take the boat to the dock in Greenwich (unless you are leaving from Tilbury!).

Last summer we were in London and took the clipper to Greenwich for sightseeing and saw this spectacular sight:

IMG_2969.thumb.jpeg.4af5ce904761431bf05ec1c633a45a5a.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed in Bayswater which is on the north side of Hyde Park.  A little out of the way, but possibly a little less pricey.  Many small hotels, restaurants, and convenient tube station at Lancaster Gate.  Great for a morning run or walk in Hyde Park.  

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 6:10 PM, retiredman said:

https://rubenshotel.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=local&utm_campaign=hotel-the-rubens-at-the-palace

Stayed here the week of the Coronation, older Hotel, but within walking distance to so much.

We stayed here, too, and enjoyed it. Close to Victoria station and Buckingham Palace. (We ended up staying there the day after the Queen died, so we were right in the middle of things.) If you stay here, I suggest springing for one of the better rooms. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 9:56 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

Last summer we were in London and took the clipper to Greenwich for sightseeing and saw this spectacular sight:

IMG_2969.thumb.jpeg.4af5ce904761431bf05ec1c633a45a5a.jpeg

On 2/26/2024 at 7:14 PM, Kountess said:

After our British Isles Explorer cruise, we stayed at the Great Scotland Yard Hotel for five nights.  We loved the hotel and found it to be a in perfect location since it is so close to Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey, 10 Downing Street, Churchill War Rooms, etc.  Our ship docked in Greenwich, and we took the Uber Boat by Thames Clipper to the Embankment Pier.  We had planned to get a taxi or Uber from the pier to the hotel, but we ended up walking instead.  It was an easy six minute walk, even with suitcases.  I highly recommend taking the Thames Clipper at some point as the view of London from the river is spectacular.  You could easily take the boat to the dock in Greenwich (unless you are leaving from Tilbury!).

I'm struggling on how to respond to a post. I hope Im doing this correctly! Cruise docs say Embark In London (Greenwich) on Viking Neptune.  Thames Clipper https://www.thamesclippers.com/ to the sounds very interesting. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jewelly said:

I'm struggling on how to respond to a post. I hope Im doing this correctly! Cruise docs say Embark In London (Greenwich) on Viking Neptune.  Thames Clipper https://www.thamesclippers.com/ to the sounds very interesting. 

Taking the boat down the Thames to Greenwich is both scenic and easy. Although I have not taken the BIE, when we were in London last summer sightseeing, it literally left us off a few feet where the large red Viking banners were flying and the check-in tables were located. Greenwich is a tender port, so you are shuttled from the dock to the ship.

Notice the red Viking banners near the Cutty Sark:

image.thumb.jpeg.d71d15b54d123743600f79cfdc0e1ae5.jpeg

Tower Bridge:

image.thumb.jpeg.ac551ae1fdc76f4b8b3b79cbc512d502.jpeg

This is a tidal river and you can see the dramatic difference from high to low tide:

image.thumb.jpeg.6bc1ace13f2a749036235f06b53fab05.jpeg

Old Royal Naval College:

image.thumb.jpeg.ebb09f8f831e4d0cf923a6c680553458.jpeg

Your ship:

image.thumb.jpeg.b0d4b5c012ab5748aa4ed0e1b7824146.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 2:48 PM, SailorPaulH said:

For the same reasons above, we have stayed at the Millennium Gloucester Hotel (a few times)  across the road from Gloucester Road station (also on the Piccadilly Line).

I stayed there with my son back in 2010 and we really liked it; back in those days wifi was nonexistent, but I'm sure that's resolved now. 

Very good location; we're staying at a different place this time due to price, but the M Gloucester was very nice. Good Indian restaurant next door, if I recall.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, longterm said:

I stayed there with my son back in 2010 and we really liked it; back in those days wifi was nonexistent, but I'm sure that's resolved now. 

Very good location; we're staying at a different place this time due to price, but the M Gloucester was very nice. Good Indian restaurant next door, if I recall.

'Light of India' is just up the road - went there on two separate trips: it was really good.

53 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

'Light of India' is just up the road - went there on two separate trips: it was really good.

That may be where we were! I seem to recall it was a couple of doors down... this is a photo of my son who was 13 at the time, back in 2010, in the restaurant. I bet that's the same place. 🙂

IMG_0166.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, longterm said:

That may be where we were! I seem to recall it was a couple of doors down... this is a photo of my son who was 13 at the time, back in 2010, in the restaurant. I bet that's the same place. 🙂

IMG_0166.jpg

My wife just reminded me it could also be 'Bombay Brasserie' which is right next door to the hotel. Also was very good when we tried there (Indian food is our favorite). Earls Court area in general has lots of choices for Indian food.

21 hours ago, longterm said:

Thank you!😃

21 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Taking the boat down the Thames to Greenwich is both scenic and easy. Although I have not taken the BIE, when we were in London last summer sightseeing, it literally left us off a few feet where the large red Viking banners were flying and the check-in tables were located. Greenwich is a tender port, so you are shuttled from the dock to the ship.

Notice the red Viking banners near the Cutty Sark:

image.thumb.jpeg.d71d15b54d123743600f79cfdc0e1ae5.jpeg

Tower Bridge:

image.thumb.jpeg.ac551ae1fdc76f4b8b3b79cbc512d502.jpeg

This is a tidal river and you can see the dramatic difference from high to low tide:

image.thumb.jpeg.6bc1ace13f2a749036235f06b53fab05.jpeg

Old Royal Naval College:

image.thumb.jpeg.ebb09f8f831e4d0cf923a6c680553458.jpeg

Your ship:

image.thumb.jpeg.b0d4b5c012ab5748aa4ed0e1b7824146.jpeg

Thank you for the pictures!

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed at the Atheneaum in Mayfair. Can't say enough good things about the room, service and restaurant. It is near a ton of restaurants and in a great walkable area

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2024 at 4:03 PM, Karen NY said:

We stayed at the Atheneaum in Mayfair. Can't say enough good things about the room, service and restaurant. It is near a ton of restaurants and in a great walkable area

🙂 Thank you!