Norwegians shocking demise of quality on all fronts

JT222

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I don't suppose you're the gent we shared a hot tub with in January 2023 onboard Getaway in the Haven? My husband is a Russian immigrant as well... though wasn't born at the time of the USSR.

No, I’m not.  I just came back from December-January Regent Splendor cruise at that time.  We were on Escape last August-September cruise.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Why is it NCL's fault that one had to be back on board by 3PM?

Why is it NCL's fault that you didn't want to go to the beach in the winter time?

These two items are related. We just got back from a Getaway sailing where three of the five port calls had all-aboard times of 2:30 PM. That is totally the cruise line's doing as they set the itineraries. On at least two of the three we were only going to the next island over, so they certainly didn't need the time to sail to the next port.

The early departure time means you have to leave the beach at lunchtime rather than mid-late afternoon. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FPMoosally said:

You guys need to learn words.

Reality, for any given individual, IS subjective. It IS relative. It is NOT objective.

6 hours ago, kirtihk said:

"Reality - the world or the state of things as they actually exist" - so, it is not for any given individual, and, therefore, not subjective.  

Oh boy. I apologize to the forum for this nonsense.

My reality is that cilantro is horrible.

My wife's reality is that cilantro is absolutely necessary, and delicious.

Tell me again that reality is not subjective and try to explain why.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 2/28/2024 at 3:58 PM, FPMoosally said:

Mass-market cruising (regardless of the brand) is still an incredible value compared to land-based vacations, and things will continue to change to keep it that way.

Same as it ever was.

the gap, while still there, is getting smaller.

as for things continuing to change to "keep it that way," most major cruise lines point to the value of cruising compared to the all-in pricing of a land-based resort vacation. so they like that gap.

but then they turn state's witness and talk out of two sides of their mouth at the same time. every cruise line is simultaneously raising prices and their CEOs and CFOs say the gap between land and sea vacations shouldn't be that wide. they want to close that gap and increase revenue... they believe their product is not priced properly and that they are not maximizing revenue and that prices should continue to rise.

nothing in the hospitality industry is as it ever was.

On 2/28/2024 at 1:46 PM, PTC DAWG said:

6 seems to be plenty early to me…the crew occasionally has to rest. 

"the crew" doesn't keep the same hours as you. there are people working on the ship 24 hours a day... but they're not the same people working 24 hours consecutively.

nobody would be deprived of sleep if asked to work at 4, or 5 or 6 am. their shift is the same duration regardless of when it starts.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FPMoosally said:

Reliable links to these quotes, please?

well, if you've read my posts for any length of time on cruise critic, and i'm sure you haven't since you're new here, you'd know i don't respond well to folks asking for "proof."  the truth is out there. google is our friend.

but i'm happy to get you started. i found this article in about eight seconds:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Cruise-executives-lament-price-gap-with-resorts

and here is another:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-ship-travel-value-2024/

(also, not for nuthin', but i didn't actually quote anybody at all. i reported on industry trends and paraphrased what some had said.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UKstages said:

well, if you've read my posts for any length of time on cruise critic, and i'm sure you haven't since you're new here, you'd know i don't respond well to folks asking for "proof."

Yeah, I have no idea who you are. So, pardon me for not "responding well" and asking proof for a random comment on the internet.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, wil e coyote said:

These two items are related. We just got back from a Getaway sailing where three of the five port calls had all-aboard times of 2:30 PM. That is totally the cruise line's doing as they set the itineraries. On at least two of the three we were only going to the next island over, so they certainly didn't need the time to sail to the next port.

The early departure time means you have to leave the beach at lunchtime rather than mid-late afternoon. 

So, what is your explanation of why the cruise line would take these actions?  Why would the cruise line want to cut the port time short?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

So, what is your explanation of why the cruise line would take these actions?  Why would the cruise line want to cut the port time short?

I don't have an explanation - it is simply an observation. I try hard not to guess at why things happen without facts. In the future, I will pay closer attention to the port times for an itinerary, and factor that into deciding whether I want to take that cruise.

Our most recent cruises were on Prima Transatlantic and Getaway Med.  The food selection and preparation on both cruises we found to be very good and really a step up from the past.  The Food Hall concept on Prima was excellent.  NCl added more kitchens with Prima closer to the the restaurant and the food preparation was fresher. We are Diamond Level, so have been cruising with NCl for many years.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, wil e coyote said:

I don't have an explanation - it is simply an observation. I try hard not to guess at why things happen without facts. In the future, I will pay closer attention to the port times for an itinerary, and factor that into deciding whether I want to take that cruise.

It's a good observation. 

Too bad some want to see some nefarious motive in such things.  Especially bad when  they don't have facts to back up their assertions.

You should be commended.

10 hours ago, FPMoosally said:

Yeah, I have no idea who you are. So, pardon me for not "responding well" and asking proof for a random comment on the internet.

oh, my goodness. my comment wasn't random at all. it was in direct response to something that had been posted about how cruises will always be the better value compared to land-based vacations. the articles at those links demonstrated that cruise line executives are trying very hard to narrow the pricing gap and to raise cruise prices. and that is the opposite of what was expressed in the post to which i was responding.

now that you've presumably read the articles at the links you requested, do you have any actual comment about that topic? 

13 hours ago, FPMoosally said:

Oh boy. I apologize to the forum for this nonsense.

My reality is that cilantro is horrible.

My wife's reality is that cilantro is absolutely necessary, and delicious.

Why "Oh, boy"?  Why so emotional?  I'm not arguing with you.  I simply wrote "Reality - the world or the state of things as they actually exist" which is a definition of the word "reality" (not my wording).  What you wrote in your example is not a reality, it is feelings toward reality (in your case, toward cilantro).  Cilantro is reality, not your feeling regarding it.

On 2/28/2024 at 8:58 PM, FPMoosally said:

You use both of these terms quite loosely. NCL is neither excellent, nor poor. Never has been. NCL is a mass-market cruise line that attempts to appeal the broadest number of people possible. Times change. Some things get better, some get worse.

Your comments on the food are especially exaggerated. While different, less high-end, and perhaps less selection, the food is not even remotely close to "poor". Just different.

Mass-market cruising (regardless of the brand) is still an incredible value compared to land-based vacations, and things will continue to change to keep it that way.

Same as it ever was.

Well you are obviously used to eating low quality food compared to me. Whilst food can be a very subjective issue it is not correct for you to tell me what I should or should not consider to be poor. IN MY OPINION it is POOR. You too can have YOUR opinion but do not LECTURE me on what is and is not poor quality food. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"Shocking Demise" affecting cruise consumers! I am certain covid has been a "Shocking Demise" for not only the cruise industry, but imagine the effect on their ship staff!!! 

If you don't own a business significantly affected by the pandemic, please have some empathy for those that have...from the Mom and Pop shops to lucrative corporations...more for the Mom and Pop's though please.

I pray that all cruiseline staff who leave their families behind to strive to make a decent living while enduring family separation to provide said family with financial security are now starting to feel more security in their occupational choice. (long sentence...I know...hopefully grammatically correct). 

For many of us, we have had to tighten our budgets. For those who feel no need to do so...kudos! Wish all of us could be so lucky. 

Welcome to the world of capitalism...we can choose to participate or not participate. Our choices (freedom) are our own.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, wil e coyote said:

7 hours ago, wil e coyote said:

I don't have an explanation - it is simply an observation.

So if you don`t have an explanation where are you assume that they could have done it faster? I am sure there is a good explanation why they left so early.Cause usually NCL is famous for going at high speeds.

18 hours ago, FPMoosally said:

You have no idea what reality is.

Reality is that Los Angeles is in the US. Reality is that Egypt is in Africa. Reality is that Joe Biden is the president of the U.S.

Thats reality !

What you mentioned are feelings,ideas and personal preferences.

Edited by CruiseMH

9 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

So if you don`t have an explanation where are you assume that they could have done it faster? I am sure there is a good explanation why they left so early.Cause usually NCL is famous for going at high speeds.

No cruise line prefers to sail at  high speeds. Fuel consumption increases rapidly as speed increases.  In fact, cruise ships sail at the slowest possible speed that meets their itinerary.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

You have no idea what reality is.

Reality is that Los Angeles is in the US. Reality is that Egypt is in Africa. Reality is that Joe Biden is the president of the U.S.

Thats reality !

What you mentioned are feelings,ideas and personal preferences.

@Moosally - agree...reality is what we individually project onto/into our lives (more metaphysical stuff most will poo-poo). We should all strive to make ours & other's projections as positive as possible. And yes, CruiseMH, that means accepting that others' perceptions/experiences are different than our own. I believe we are here on earth to love, support & propel one another to goodness.

Edited by idocdlw

19 hours ago, wil e coyote said:

It's really not a matter of time to sail to the next port. It is a matter of how much it costs them to be docked at any port. They contract for a certain amount of dock time. More time = significantly more $$$. They are making business decisions. Send opposition to corporate or discontinue to use this line although other cruiselines are under the same constrictions.. 

5 hours ago, idocdlw said:

"Shocking Demise" affecting cruise consumers! I am certain covid has been a "Shocking Demise" for not only the cruise industry, but imagine the effect on their ship staff!!! 

If you don't own a business significantly affected by the pandemic, please have some empathy for those that have...from the Mom and Pop shops to lucrative corporations...more for the Mom and Pop's though please.

I pray that all cruiseline staff who leave their families behind to strive to make a decent living while enduring family separation to provide said family with financial security are now starting to feel more security in their occupational choice. (long sentence...I know...hopefully grammatically correct). 

For many of us, we have had to tighten our budgets. For those who feel no need to do so...kudos! Wish all of us could be so lucky. 

Welcome to the world of capitalism...we can choose to participate or not participate. Our choices (freedom) are our own.

Amen!!

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 1:11 PM, schmoopie17 said:

We’re on the Jade right now. Service has been outstanding (as usual). Food has been pretty good (as usual).

Glad to hear this! We're going on the Jade in July.

On 2/29/2024 at 12:07 AM, DrUrsula said:

We were on Rebel Yell with captain -dang-Megan? Connie?

Pretty sure it's Megan.  Had a great conversation with her on the way over. 

• Like 1

After taking a break from NCL and sailing 4xs with Carnival, the Bliss in October felt like a major upgrade.

The food was miles better the entertainment was better and the service about the same. I really don’t want to sail Carnival anymore but they always seem to have the best dates for the itinerary we want. 

12 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

No cruise line prefers to sail at  high speeds. Fuel consumption increases rapidly as speed increases.  In fact, cruise ships sail at the slowest possible speed that meets their itinerary.

I know that. But the decision about speed starts already when the itinerary is planned and created. 😉

I can give you a few examples especially in Europa where NCL has by far the shortest time between two ports,sometimes up to 8 hours shorter than any other cruise line. Also in the caribbean i had several cases, where NCL went with 20 knots from one port to the other....regularly ! (not because of a delay)

Maybe they have meanwhile found out that they could save an incredible amount of money by simply going slower(and adjusting their future itineraries)

• Like 1