Disembarking at Rotterdam 7:00 am, 11:00am flight from Schiphol?

Mark_K

3 minutes ago, GVM said:

A pre-ordered taxi is always faster than the Celebrity bus, but more expensive. I am more than confident that even with the Celebrity transfer you are able to make your flight. 

Thank you, much appreciated 🙏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

We travel business and have a son studying at Utrecht, so have no choice but to visit if we want to see the grandkids.

I really wish I could find a way to bypass AMS, but due to the war, we have no other option....

Hi @dani negreanu, Apologies for going off-topic. We have thought of you so often since our 2019 Ireland/Iceland cruise and are happy to know you are doing well and still able to travel.  We had hoped to visit your beautiful country on an Israel/Egypt cruise this year, but unfortunately it has been canceled.  Stay safe and we look forward to sailing with you again in the future.

Mike and Mary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

Thank you for this. Do you think walk off/ taxi is better than Celebrity transfer?

I have an Air Canada flight to Canada, 12:15pm departure, on a Wednesday mid July.  Trying to determine what to do.

Thank you to the OP for starting this discussion and to all the answers so far.

We have the same AC flight at 12:15 but in June. Our plan is to do walkoff and taxi to Rotterdam Centraal station and take the train to Schipol. 🤞. For our cruise the ship shuttle to Schipol is sold out and I also don’t want to be stuck in traffic. Last time we were in the Netherlands we were amazed at the public transit system there and went everywhere without a rental car…most of the cars were usually stuck in heavy traffic anyway. 🤷‍♀️

2 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

We have the same AC flight at 12:15 but in June. Our plan is to do walkoff and taxi to Rotterdam Centraal station and take the train to Schipol. 🤞. For our cruise the ship shuttle to Schipol is sold out and I also don’t want to be stuck in traffic. Last time we were in the Netherlands we were amazed at the public transit system there and went everywhere without a rental car…most of the cars were usually stuck in heavy traffic anyway. 🤷‍♀️

I was considering this but I am worried navigating train station with luggage (or not knowing which train etc 🤦).  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeMary4449 said:

We had hoped to visit your beautiful country on an Israel/Egypt cruise

Thank you for your thoughts and kind words, Mary & Mike 🌺 They are very much appreciated.

We're also very sorry that all travel was cancelled to our country since the attack upon us. It is the longest we've been to war, and, sadly, no end to it in the foreseeable future...😢

We've been to Amsterdam since the war started just to see the kids, but our heart wasn't in it.

Best wishes, in the hope that our passes will cross again,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

For what it's worth. The 'fast' train is called 'Intercity Direct': https://www.ns.nl/en/travel-information/special-routes/intercity-direct.html

It's only 2.90 EUR more expensive per one-way than the regular train. 

https://www.ns.nl/en/season-tickets/campaigns/other/intercity-direct-supplement.html

Just an example of a Wednesday morning direct train:

https://www.ns.nl/en/journeyplanner/#/?vertrek=Rotterdam Centraal&vertrektype=treinstation&aankomst=Schiphol Airport&aankomsttype=treinstation&type=vertrek&tijd=2024-06-12T07:00&firstMileModality=PUBLIC_TRANSPORT&lastMileModality=PUBLIC_TRANSPORT&disabledTransportModalities=&context=arnu|fromStation%3D8400530|toStation%3D8400561|plannedFromTime%3D2024-06-12T08:12:00%2B02:00|plannedArrivalTime%3D2024-06-12T08:36:00%2B02:00|excludeHighSpeedTrains%3Dfalse|searchForAccessibleTrip%3Dfalse|localTrainsOnly%3Dfalse|travelAssistance%3Dfalse|tripSummaryHash%3D2388658439&ritnummers=909

This is a 08:12hrs departure from Rotterdam Central and a 08:36hrs arrival at Schiphol.

Normal price 14,50 EUR one way 2nd class + 2,90 EUR supplement.

I think this is indeed a no-brainer 🙂

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, GVM said:

Thank you for taking the time to help us understand the options and even providing links, it is much appreciated.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cruisegirlppp said:

Thank you for taking the time to help us understand the options and even providing links, it is much appreciated.

No worries. I am Dutch, so it's a lot more easier to find this information than for foreigners. More than happy to answer other Netherlands-related questions 🙂

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, GVM said:

No worries. I am Dutch, so it's a lot more easier to find this information than for foreigners. More than happy to answer other Netherlands-related questions 🙂

Thank you! Very helpful. Do we need an OV chip card each to use the train or can one person buy tickets for the four of us? We’ll be in the Netherlands for five days prior to the cruise and want to make transit as cheap and easy as possible lol. Last time there our Airbnb host had cards for us preloaded and that we could reload online.  Was easy to just tap in and out. We can use our credit cards the same way tho?

Edited by Barwick Cruiser

40 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Thank you! Very helpful. Do we need an OV chip card each to use the train or can one person buy tickets for the four of us? We’ll be in the Netherlands for five days prior to the cruise and want to make transit as cheap and easy as possible lol. Last time there our Airbnb host had cards for us preloaded and that we could reload online.  Was easy to just tap in and out. We can use our credit cards the same way tho?

Only Dutch bank cards and creditcards are accepted with NS (Nederlandse Spoorwegen = Dutch Railways). And then still only in connection with OVpay-app. (OV = Openbaar Vervoer = Public Transport)

So yes, your best bet is purchasing one-time OV-cards every time, and you can purchase them with bank cards or creditcards at ticket desks with employees or even faster: at self service machines.

If you are staying a bit longer here, it's indeed better to have a 'reusable' OV-card which you can load up with as much money you want. 

Good thing is, with this card you can travel in all public transport in NL. So bus, tram, metro, train. The ferries in AMS are actually free. (The ones behind Amsterdam Central station, which is actually next to the AMS Cruise terminal).

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Anyone know if Schipol has global entry lines either entering or departing the country? 

The only place I've seen US Global Entry is Canada and Ireland.     Many European countries have a similar program.  

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, GVM said:

Only Dutch bank cards and creditcards are accepted with NS (Nederlandse Spoorwegen = Dutch Railways). And then still only in connection with OVpay-app. (OV = Openbaar Vervoer = Public Transport)

So yes, your best bet is purchasing one-time OV-cards every time, and you can purchase them with bank cards or creditcards at ticket desks with employees or even faster: at self service machines.

If you are staying a bit longer here, it's indeed better to have a 'reusable' OV-card which you can load up with as much money you want. 

I don't remember using it to buy a Train Ticket from the Kiosk.   I bought the train tickets in advance using the NS app using my same U.S. credit card.

Good thing is, with this card you can travel in all public transport in NL. So bus, tram, metro, train. The ferries in AMS are actually free. (The ones behind Amsterdam Central station, which is actually next to the AMS Cruise terminal).

Respect your knowledge as a Dutch national.   Wanted to point out that in May of last year we used ApplePay with a U.S.Chase Sapphire Visa card on the Train as well as subways in Rotterdam and Amsterdam.   As a matter of fact it was the only way we could board the subway at the subway station closest to the port as there are no ticket machines.    The guard told us to just tap our credit card.    Worked perfect.

Now --- I 100% agree with you on using a U.S. credit card at a grocery store in Amsterdam.   They told me the only way I could use was for the agent to ring up give me the chit and I would take it to the front desk and they would use a different terminal and complete the transaction.   After doing that once we shifted to cash instead of holding up everyone in line behind us.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2024 at 12:50 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Respect your knowledge as a Dutch national.   Wanted to point out that in May of last year we used ApplePay with a U.S.Chase Sapphire Visa card on the Train as well as subways in Rotterdam and Amsterdam.   As a matter of fact it was the only way we could board the subway at the subway station closest to the port as there are no ticket machines.    The guard told us to just tap our credit card.    Worked perfect.

Now --- I 100% agree with you on using a U.S. credit card at a grocery store in Amsterdam.   They told me the only way I could use was for the agent to ring up give me the chit and I would take it to the front desk and they would use a different terminal and complete the transaction.   After doing that once we shifted to cash instead of holding up everyone in line behind us.

Ow no worries, I believe you! Obviously you did it yourself, the best evidence there is 🙂

And yes, I fully agree (and I am ashamed) that most Dutch supermarkets don't accept creditcards. There is a supermarkt below my office, in front of the Heineken Beer Brewery in Amsterdam, and every time I am at the cashier, there are tourists having issues with their creditcards since Albert Heijn (the number 1 supermarket brand in AMS) doesn't except creditcard simply because of the fees to the creditcard companies.

Now you know the saying "Being Dutch" means, being cheap 🙂

And I am not proud of that 😞

So Americans: Debit cards are widely accepted in the Netherlands, but indeed, we are not such a creditcard country. 

Still.......if you compare it to Germany, society is almost 90% still cash there. So we are not that bad 🙂

Going back to original question, last May we left Celebrity Apex about 7:20 (Walk Off) to train station, train to AMS, went thru security and was at terminal around 11:15. So it is doable but may be tight depending on what time you actual get off the ship and security line at AMS. 

Agree with Jim and GVM's discussion on credit card usage. Another issue I did like was the wide acceptance of GPay on my Android phone just about everywhere (we didn't make it to a grocery store). Used the phone app for transit in Amsterdam.

Last thing - really really loved Amsterdam. Such a great place and met a lot of great people at the restaurants! BTW, in my opinion, Netherlands and Amsterdam has the best mass transit system.