Insuring a 3 month trip to Europe with a 2 week cruise on either end.

Going on a 3 month trip to Europe, 2 week repositioning cruise to Europe then travel Portugal and Ireland for 2 months, then a 2 week Med cruise before flying home from Barcelona. I was thinking of getting insurance for the 2 months of land travel and then covering the cruise travel with a combination of ship insurance and Chase Sapphire Reserve that I used to purchase both cruises. Has anyone done this before if so what did you do or what are your thoughts?

Personally I think that this is a confusing mix of insurance that I personally would not approach.

I personally would feel more comfortable insuring the entire trip through one insurer.  

22 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

Have you looked into one of the annual plans that cover all you travels for a full year.

No I haven’t. We are covered when we are in the US so really it’s just the 3 months overseas that I’m looking to cover.

41 minutes ago, Globaler said:

No I haven’t. We are covered when we are in the US so really it’s just the 3 months overseas that I’m looking to cover.

I found the annual plan was better for us than purchasing individual policies for each trip during the year.

I'd just do a 1 policy single trip.

But, I would also recommend that you work with a broker who can discuss with you what you feel is most important coverage for you.

There are a couple of brokers whom I recommend.

Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

and Travel Insurance Quotes - Compare & Buy Trip Insurance (insuremytrip.com)

TripInsuranceStore is my go to but either way, call them and speak to them live.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Globaler said:

Going on a 3 month trip to Europe, 2 week repositioning cruise to Europe then travel Portugal and Ireland for 2 months, then a 2 week Med cruise before flying home from Barcelona. I was thinking of getting insurance for the 2 months of land travel and then covering the cruise travel with a combination of ship insurance and Chase Sapphire Reserve that I used to purchase both cruises. Has anyone done this before if so what did you do or what are your thoughts?

Hi Globaler,

Your trip is easily insurable with a Trip Cancellation plan.

However, your Chase Card may not be of much help because of these two situations:

A pre-existing medical condition and Trips that exceed 60 days in duration are not covered.

First, your Chase Card excludes pre-existing medical conditions of you, or a traveling companion or a non-traveling family member that could worsen and, in turn, cause you to cancel or interrupt your trip. Or that could cause you to seek treatment on your trip.

Second, your trip is over 60 days in duration. Chase defines a trip as a period of round trip travel from and to back home. If Chase tells you that you have two different trips, you need to get this in writing from them before you should trust their answer.

Will all the plans I know, you will have to insure the entire length of the trip because of how a Trip Cancellation plan works, though you might not insure the full prepaid trip costs since that is up to you.

I hope this helps you.

Steve Dasseos

11 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Globaler,

Your trip is easily insurable with a Trip Cancellation plan.

However, your Chase Card may not be of much help because of these two situations:

A pre-existing medical condition and Trips that exceed 60 days in duration are not covered.

First, your Chase Card excludes pre-existing medical conditions of you, or a traveling companion or a non-traveling family member that could worsen and, in turn, cause you to cancel or interrupt your trip. Or that could cause you to seek treatment on your trip.

Second, your trip is over 60 days in duration. Chase defines a trip as a period of round trip travel from and to back home. If Chase tells you that you have two different trips, you need to get this in writing from them before you should trust their answer.

Will all the plans I know, you will have to insure the entire length of the trip because of how a Trip Cancellation plan works, though you might not insure the full prepaid trip costs since that is up to you.

I hope this helps you.

Steve Dasseos

OMG that is great information - didn’t know about the sixty days and just now figured out the total trip cause I didn’t book both the initial cruise and plane fare home on my Chase card. I got cruise insurance cause I wanted to cover myself if either my wife or myself got COVID. (Side question do you know if Chase would cover cruise cancelation from Covid). I was going to insure the land portion through World Nomads so I’ll now cover the entire 3 months.  I really appreciate your information and help.

48 minutes ago, Globaler said:

OMG that is great information - didn’t know about the sixty days and just now figured out the total trip cause I didn’t book both the initial cruise and plane fare home on my Chase card. I got cruise insurance cause I wanted to cover myself if either my wife or myself got COVID. (Side question do you know if Chase would cover cruise cancelation from Covid). I was going to insure the land portion through World Nomads so I’ll now cover the entire 3 months.  I really appreciate your information and help.

Just thinking again, I do have insurance through the ship. Shouldn’t that cover me for the cruise portion? And then world nomads for the land portion? Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Globaler said:

Hi Globaler,

You are welcome.

If you want specific advice and some plan choices, email me your trip details at steve@tripinsurancestore.com

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I insured through World Nomads for the entire trip. Reading the coverage it talks about the origin of trip in addition to home address. Because of that language, I insured the entire trip. I paid a little more and in the future will probably skip the cruise ship insurance and instead go with a product covering the entire trip. 

thanks for all the responses - better safe than sorry!

• Like 1