Is the YC experience better on the Med Itineraries?

JustAPilot

We are doing YC for the first time this summer on our annual Med cruise and from what I’m reading most of the complaints about YC, butlers ect are coming from your US cruises. Does MSC bring the “A” team in YC for their Euro cruises or is it just Europeans don’t complain as much? (lol) Anyone done both and can compare? 

I don’t have an answer but I’m interested in a med on MSC Europa in a Duplex suite so following…. We usually cruise NCL Haven.   Anyone know when MSC right release the 2026 med itenary? 

Talking with crew, it sounds like many of them want to do US-based itineraries because compensation is higher. Tips are higher, and there's more shopping so commission-based roles have higher comp, too. I think many of their staff apply to be on US-based routes, so I'm guessing that's where most of their best talent ends up.

Well, there are far fewer CC members in Europe/Med and/or taking MSC cruises in the Med.  It would be interesting to see if the same people who complain about the YC on cruises from the US would have the same complaints sailing in the Med.  I don’t think you can compare them, because your clientele is different.  In fact, if the European clientele would make complaints, they might be totally different from the complaints we hear.  EM

• Like 3

My last YC cruise in the Med was in 2019, so that experience may no longer hold true.  My last non-YC cruise with MSC was in Nov 2023 on the World Europa.  I've found cruises out of US ports and on US cruise lines, the crew tend to chat up the passengers in hopes for a larger tip.  We are introverts.  We actually prefer the service on the Med cruise over the Caribbean & Bahamas cruises.  They would leave us be.  Or perhaps there weren't enough crew on World Europa so they have to hurry to the next passengers waiting to be served.   Hmm...

Posted (edited)

In May 2021, we were on our first MSC cruise on Seaview out of Naples and in YC. It was wonderful and we thoroughly enjoyed it.  We were on Divina Jan 2023 and also thoroughly enjoyed that. 

We had a port-heavy cruise in the Med and didn't utilize the YC as much as we'd like. Getting on and off the ship with YC priority was a breeze and usually separate lines.  There was always someone waiting with a YC paddle to help you re-board the ship.  In the Caribbean, we felt the priority was very lacking and there were usually lines and not much priority help.

We never had any issues at meal times and the service on both ships was very good. I would say the Maitre D on Seaview didn't interact with us much, but Divina was more personal. Funnily enough, they were brothers! Service in the lounge was probably better on the Seaview, but they both seemed a bit slow at times. They insisted on helping carry drinks or snacks to our room on Seaview. Bartenders on both were OK, although we were really turned off by our bartender on Divina because some comments he made about tipping.

As far as service in our room, I think they were equivalent. I made a few requests on Seaview and was told no. I didn't think they were big requests, but whatever. Both butlers were good, but nothing over the top. We were happy with them, but sometimes wished we had gotten some of the service a few people have mentioned. Just little added touches like snacks being left or a random decoration, nothing major.

All in all, we thought the Med was slightly better, but no major differences other than the return to ships at ports.

We'll be on the Euribia in a week and a half in Northern Europe, so I'll try to share how that goes.

Edited by mnpurple
  • Like 3

On 3/4/2024 at 2:35 PM, Essiesmom said:

Well, there are far fewer CC members in Europe/Med and/or taking MSC cruises in the Med.  It would be interesting to see if the same people who complain about the YC on cruises from the US would have the same complaints sailing in the Med.  I don’t think you can compare them, because your clientele is different.  In fact, if the European clientele would make complaints, they might be totally different from the complaints we hear.  EM

I have done more YC out of the USA than in and personally I don't find much of a difference.

We have never had a continuous good butler.

Most after Midnight are useless. Try getting something at 2am and it takes forever.

On a side note, NCL Haven is worse from our perspective. But in fairness we have never been in the enclave (except for Prima). We always have had our Haven room in or near the Aft.

• Like 1

We sailed on the MSC Splendida in Fall 2022 in YC on a 7-night cruise. Loved it so much that we are sailing in YC again onboard the MSC Splendida but to Greece and Turkey for 9-nights this time. Three days later, after disembarking the Splendida in Trieste, we race to Genoa to board the MSC Divina in YC for the 20-night Grand Voyage to Miami. 

The Fantasia-class is what we enjoy. Last September we sailed on the MSC Preziosa in the Fantastica experience as well. Very enjoyable as well. Given the threads on sailing MSC in the US, I am so far reluctant to try those cruises.