Japanese food on Queen Elizabeth's Japan sailings?

bazzaw

We are about to do our 10th Cunard cruise - having sailed with them in Australian, American and European waters. They , like most other cruise lines , serve up what I call "Western hotel food" . There was one Scandinavian cruise where they seemed to serve  up a lot of pickled type herrings and raw fish at the breakfast buffet (which I enjoyed) - but for the rest of the time, I would never have been able to guess where we were in the World by the food being served. So now we are about to embark on a QE cruise around Japan and am wondering if there will be any Japanese food?? I am hoping so 😞

I recall a post [can't remember when but not so long ago] when a QE reviewer wasn't a happy bunny due to the amount of foreign [my word] food available on an itinerary encompassing Japan.

My thoughts were 'yum yum' so if your thoughts follow a similar train, you might be lucky.

• Like 1

• Host Hattie changed the title to Japanese food on Queen Elizabeth's Japan sailings?
3 hours ago, bazzaw said:

We are about to do our 10th Cunard cruise - having sailed with them in Australian, American and European waters. They , like most other cruise lines , serve up what I call "Western hotel food" . There was one Scandinavian cruise where they seemed to serve  up a lot of pickled type herrings and raw fish at the breakfast buffet (which I enjoyed) - but for the rest of the time, I would never have been able to guess where we were in the World by the food being served. So now we are about to embark on a QE cruise around Japan and am wondering if there will be any Japanese food?? I am hoping so 😞

Menus in the MDR will be very similar to the menus on any Australian cruise, there will be more Japanese items in the lido for all meals and occasionally Japanese items on the menu in the MDR, otherwise you will not see much change

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

This is probably the thread @Victoria2 was thinking of 

Maybe the Japanese pax want to experience British and Continental foods on their cruise to take experience something different from their diet on vacation? Having fish and chips, Scottish Salmon, and English lamb onboard Cunard ships is a favorite of many from around the world. I certainly don’t want to be surrounded by Philly Cheesesteaks, Buffalo Chicken wings, and nachos when I’m trying to experience different foods abroad and on Cunard. 

As my original comment was mentioned here, I would mention that it was the Lido restaurant that was the problem with the restriction on the number of regular items in favor of Japanese specialties, coupled with the earlier dining times in the Grills designed for Japanese passengers, which meant that when returning from a half day tour, it was too late to have lunch in the Grills dining rooms, and one had to repair to the Lido, where the reduced items, plus the early changeover to afternoon tea (in preparation, but not yet available on the buffet), meant that it was impossible to get a sandwich (for example), the other buffet items were very tired looking at that point.  It is not that I don't want to try Japanese food, it's just that when returning from a half day tour, one just wants a quick bite and then a nap!

The Grills menus did not seem to be affected by any particular catering to Japanese cruisers.