Harmony of the Seas-height?

Posted (edited)

236 ft above the waterline. The first 4 Oasis ships should be very similar. Not sure if Wonder or Utopia are very different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis-class_cruise_ship

Add 30 ft for below the waterline.

This one says 210 ft, but I wonder if that is not counting the stacks,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/11/world-largest-cruise-ship-harmony-of-the-seas-sets-sail-first-sea-trial#:~:text=The ship%2C with a height,height of the Eiffel Tower.

Edited by RobInMN

"The draft of a cruise ship is the vertical distance from the bottom of the ship at its lowest point up to the waterline level. It is usually up to 30 feet on a cruise ship or 10% of the ship’s height. This is considered relatively low when compared to other ship types."     

concerning draft ... oasis class operate from Port Canaveral routinely ... without tugs under normal conditions

here's the ports depths and rules:

Main Channel Mean Low Water Levels

Entrance Channel: -14 meters (-46 feet)
Main Channel: -13.4 meters (-44 feet)
Central Turning Basin: -13.1 meters (-43 feet)
West Turning Basin: -13.1 meters (-43 feet)

Channel Depths and Restrictions

The Canaveral Port Authority provides depths in channel of -13.4 meters (-44 feet)
Maximum Draft in Channel: -12.2 meters (-40 feet)
Minimum Under-keel Clearance for Vessels in Channel: 1 meter (3.3 feet)

Tide Restrictions

Vessels drawing 11.6 meters (38 feet) or less: Transit anytime

Vessels drawing more than 11.6 meters (38 feet) up to 12.2 meters (40 feet) and any cargo vessel proceeding to the West Basin, will be advised by the Harbormaster and Canaveral Pilots of the time of boarding by a pilot for transit with consideration given to the stage of the tide.

NOTE: Vessels drawing more than 11.6 meters (38 feet) draft require three tugboats and a 48-hour notice to ensure there are no delays.

2 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

236m above the waterline. The first 4 Oasis ships should be very similar. Not sure if Wonder or Utopia are very different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis-class_cruise_ship

Add 22.6m for below the waterline.

This one says 210m, but I wonder if that is not counting the stacks,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/11/world-largest-cruise-ship-harmony-of-the-seas-sets-sail-first-sea-trial#:~:text=The ship%2C with a height,height of the Eiffel Tower.

236m above the water line?  

Oasis is 72m above the water line when the stacks are extended with a stated draft of 9m but draft is an elusive number as it varies with a number of factor.  The seafloor depth below the Great Belt bridge is ~10m so 9m of draft sounds about right. That puts the total height at ~81m or ~265 feet.

Her air draft estimate was taken from this video:

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, twangster said:

236m above the water line?  

Oasis is 72m above the water line when the stacks are extended with a stated draft of 9m but draft is an elusive number as it varies with a number of factor.  The seafloor depth below the Great Belt bridge is ~10m so 9m of draft sounds about right. That puts the total height at ~81m or ~265 feet.

Her air draft estimate was taken from this video:

I mixed up m & ft, but corrected it right away. Apparently not fast enough 

I also corrected depth vs. draft

Edited by RobInMN

This is Wonder and a little blurry but you see that her air draft is offered to be 72m to the top of the stacks, 65m with stacks retracted which is as close as anyone can state to be an accurate guess for this class.

image.thumb.jpeg.9ca3175c91d2a66c069ee40dabefe597.jpeg

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

RobInMN-thank you for the links. Do you think the 236 is to top of smoke stacks?

I believe so, but when considering bridge clearance, the Oasis class (all at this point???) have retractable stacks allowing them to clear bridges with less than 236 ft of clearance. For instance, the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge has a clearance of 228 ft (69.5 m) at mean high water, and I believe I've read that you need 15 additional feet of play on most any bridge like this.

Edited by RobInMN

Thank you all for the info.

so with 1188ft long & 236 ft tall, the ratio is close to 5:1. That works for what I am doing.

I remember that video with Captain Wright talking about the squat affect. Very cool.