In app texting while on board

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, zqvol said:

It’s logout.com or 1.1.1.1

i kindly suggest you visit loginnow.com and logout.com and return here and tell us what you see.

Edited by UKstages
  • Haha 1

Kind of related question .... I seem to recall reading that you can access Cruise Critic w/o using up your own internet minutes?  Is that something I dreamed up?

I am considering a semi-live for next month, but also not willing to upgrade my 150 minutes.

Just now, zqvol said:

Works just fine for me, you must be special

Have you actually *tried* going to 1.1.1.1 off the ship?  You definitely do *not* get to any kind of function that involves "logging out".  Now, that being said...the ship DNS can in effect make *any* IP address do anything it wants.  They can redirect 1.1.1.1 to their own internal function to do whatever they like.  If you are saying that logout.com translates to 1.1.1.1 while on board an NCL ship then you may very well be correct.

Just now, zqvol said:

Doesn’t work at home only on board 

Then NCL is playing tricks with their onboard DNS, as I stated.  Fairly common and done by at least 2 other lines that I know of.  Anyway...we digress from what the OP *really* wanted to know, which involved "in-app texting".

On 3/15/2024 at 12:20 PM, hallux said:

Wrong.  You have to go to a site such as logout.com (it redirects to the correct page because of how web browsing works) to then log off and stop the clock.  Been there, done that, did it less than 2 months ago.  This is the ONLY way to stop the clock on internet use.

Not exactly true. There is a "logout" button on the same page you log in. Hitting the logout button logs you out. That's how I did it for the 14 days of our cruise that ended a few days ago. 

• 1 month later...

Just off the Star.....the free-at-sea Internet is pretty restrictive and doesn't even permit delivery of SMS/MMS/RCS (WIFI enabled) text messages to Android phones and you would have to purchase Premium (someone on board had done this).  If you have iPhone, seems text messages still come through without using minutes as long as connected to ship WIFI.

They do offer the in-ship only texting in the NCL app for $10, but that just feels like nickel/ diming.

Anyhow, this ended up being a pretty big problem for me (Android user expecting to use WIFI SMS) as many things I use require text secondary authentication, and those never came in for me in spite of my having the NCL "free" internet.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 11:20 AM, DuckTollerFans said:

Kind of related question .... I seem to recall reading that you can access Cruise Critic w/o using up your own internet minutes?  Is that something I dreamed up?

I am considering a semi-live for next month, but also not willing to upgrade my 150 minutes.

qustionably at best... it doesn't load completely so it looks funny. 

the "trick" to accessing cruise critic for "free" on NCL internet is to load the site while connected and using your minutes, then return to browse at no charge once you've logged off.

• Thanks 1