Yacht Club vs Regent Grandeur

7 hours ago, no1talks said:

This speaks to my concerns vis-à-vis Regent, Silversea, Crystal, and Seabourn.

Cruiselines do what they do with a customer base in mind. If the aforementioned lines are presenting what septuagenarians (and those more senior) see as luxurious cruising, would I, being 15 to 20 years younger, see things in a similar manner?

I loved Regent (then Radisson) when I was only 28…had a blast.  My teen daughter and I had fun together on Crystal.  I think you’d find it luxurious, to me it’s like the whole ship is YC. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Another was overheard saying back, "I don't know if I'll make it to 2026".

I take this to mean do I want to take a Regent cruise I booked for 2026 if this is their entertainment?

I think Regent is misreading what type of entertainment guests in their 70's would like to see. None of the shows you have posted are exciting to me.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, travelwide said:

I take this to mean do I want to take a Regent cruise I booked for 2026 if this is their entertainment?

No, that would be too nice a thought. They are talking that they expect their own final curtain, soon.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, travelwide said:

I think Regent is misreading what type of entertainment guests in their 70's would like to see. None of the shows you have posted are exciting to me

As I observed, we are 72 and on MSC we are in the minority in the Yacht Club. On Regent, though it is our age group, many more are older than we. About a dozen children accompanying parents and grandparents. (Children are extremely well behaved). Not like Yacht Club. This cruise DW and I are realizing that MSC YC is best when the kids are in school and we are in the process of changing our future cruises to reflect more Regent Grandeur, Explora Journeys and Oceania Vista for the holidays, emailing our travel agent in between these posts. Heads up to anyone reading of a Royal Suite on Seascape that will becoming available for Christmas/New Years next week.

For those that like to see menus. Here is the pool grill menu. From my understanding the only thing not self service is the pasta cooked to order. It is hard to find a simple good salad with iceberg lettuce at the sit down restaurants for lunch. One is forced to have to go to the buffet or find something else. There are trade offs with every cruise ship. Entertainment was hit or miss on MSC Explora as well, but the food was the biggest draw and a no self service Emporium buffet is the best on the high seas. MSC really knows what cruisers want. Why they do not incorporate it into their Yacht Clubs, maybe one day ?

IMG_3792.jpeg

IMG_3793.jpeg

11 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Here is a 35 second clip of last night's guest performer Lauren 'something or other'.

This is especially painful. My Fair Lady is one of the few musicals on my drop-the-remote list.

"But it can't have been right for your father to pour spirits down her throat like that. It might have killed her."
"Not her. Gin was mother's milk to her. Besides, he's poured so much down his own throat, he knew the good of it."

Gold. Pure gold.

There are always those few amongst us that are undaunted, intrepid, unafraid that cast caution to the wind and head out on their own in search of adventure. Here from the Observation Lounge we see this small group that refused the complimentary shuttle into town and instead are in search of the port exit. Just as they get to the port terminal I stopped filming. Only to see hidden around the corner mini type vans that must be for hire as they hopped in and drove away.

Tonight at the (amateur) show the cruise director asked how many took the complimentary trolley into town. A host of hands raised. Then she asked "How many will never take the trolley again ?" The same host of hands raised. She said that the town had very little to offer. Begs the question,'Then why bother stopping at this port?'

Posted (edited)

This duo play every evening from 6:15 -7:30pm in Grandeur Lounge and then again 8:45-9:30pm and 10:15 - 11:30pm. Compared this to the Loft/Brooklyn Cafes which have two different groups like a saxophonist followed by a jazz quartet filling an entire evening. There is another venue the Meridian Lounge which is like the Uptown Lounge on Seascape. Here the resident orchestra holds sway at 6:45-7:30, then they are needed for the 9:30 Constellation Theatre Show, and finally 10:30-11:30 Meridian Lounge.

Resident pianist in Observation Lounge from 6-7:30 pm. & 10-11:30pm.

DJ from 11:30pm-late in Grandeur Lounge.

Nothing for early diners from 7:30-8:45 (if they get out of a 6:30 dinner in an hour)

That's really unfortunate for us.

We would miss all of those time slots of entertainment if left to our own devices.

Are the pax in the lounge at 11? And a DJ later ? 

Getting up later in am and staying up later?

22 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

That's really unfortunate for us.

We would miss all of those time slots of entertainment if left to our own devices.

Are the pax in the lounge at 11? And a DJ later ? 

Getting up later in am and staying up later?

We feel the same way. But I look at it as 'sour grapes' anyway. The entertainment puts me to sleep. I have a better chance of staying awake during that hour and half lull.

Don't know about late night as we go back to the cabin after the show. I then post a few things before I forget them before bed. We really miss the jazz quartet on Seascape, they were worth the effort to stay up late. 

Last nights show was a surprise as our cruise director actually has more talent than the entertainers half her age. Saw her this morning at the gangway. She has been with Regent 27 years. Her background is in entertainment, as in her 20's, she was in Off-Broadway shows. A couple short clips of her two show tunes.

Our welcome to Roatan, Honduras. Another beautiful day.

Interesting crew drill today. ship is advising passengers not use elevators as the ship will be shutting off the elevators during this drill. When this happens the elevators are suppose to return to deck 4 when the electric is off ? Did not say doors will open, did say occupants may be trapped for duration.

• Haha 2

I haven't had time to really reflect on this experience, only to repeat DW's observation that nothing comes close to the attention one gets in the Yacht Clubs. It is still the best experience in the cruising world at 4 times the price. 

• Like 1

I want YC to be a success

AND I want it to be a secret

KWIM?

Some really distasteful folks have been there from time to time.

Whether it be their lack of manners,

or worse yet, the way they treat the YC crew and staff poorly,  (and even facilities: lounge, pool deck, etc..)

We have repeatedly told all the YC Directors on every cruise that the upgrade offers should be stopped. We only sail YC and are truly upset with some of those who won ‘Upgrades’ and feel they are so entitled over those of us who paid for the experience.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, oceans.calling said:

We have repeatedly told all the YC Directors on every cruise that the upgrade offers should be stopped. We only sail YC and are truly upset with some of those who won ‘Upgrades’ and feel they are so entitled over those of us who paid for the experience.

The Yacht Club Directors have absolutely no say in MSC policy. What you just wrote I am going to copy and paste on every email comment form that we receive after every cruise on MSC. These management reads. Former cruise director Gene Y. said that out of 6000 forms sent out after every cruise only 6 are returned. He might have been exaggerating for effect, but with so little feedback from passengers nothing will change. Posting our 'feelings' on social media is useless. MSC may monitor from those actually on board doing live threads, but to actually believe every flowery or disdainful post is suspect. The emails have our signatures as actual past guests.

• Like 2

When we do receive their surveys which is very rare, maybe 2 out of 9 so far, I always ask that they don’t turn into another NCL who probably started it. It’s the same and after many Haven bookings we left when we found YC MSC and never looked backed. Although, in my opinion, there is no comparison between the two, I will only sail MSC for now ex NY since I don’t like flying.  
I will do the same if we receive our survey as you say they read them and hopefully this makes a difference. Sailing in two weeks. 

Thanks Morpheus. BTW, truly enjoy all of your posts and observations. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, oceans.calling said:

When we do receive their surveys which is very rare,

That is interesting. Others have posted the same thing not receiving the email surveys. We get them 2-3 days after every cruise. Maybe because we are only Royal Suite/Owners Suite guests ?

We get one each and I do both. I always give 10's for everything we actually take advantage of and N/A for all that we don't use and one 5 for the Chora Theatre performances. Having taken a cruise now on MSC Explora Journeys and Regent Grandeur and comparing them with Seascape I will now boost my grade for the Chora Theatre to 8. Not that they are any better, just that these others are so much worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oceans.calling said:

after many Haven bookings we left when we found YC MSC and never looked backed.

Same experience. We tried Divina, their Le Muse alone is the best Yacht Club restaurant in the entire MSC fleet. Seascape was good with Chef Lisa, but she is now on Virtuosa and the last cruise we were on the food was dismal on Thanksgiving. My favorite 'Breakfast of Champions' were these donuts and berliners that simply melted in my mouth. Posters love to brag how their favorite drink is waiting for them before they even get to the table... Well please see what was waiting just for me every morning for breakfast (photo below). Thanksgiving week the donuts were like  bagels with icing and the berliners like a roll. The first cruise I ever had that when I got home I had no weight gain....Unbelievable.

IMG_1611.jpeg

• Like 1

Just got back from tonights show in the Constellation Theatre. Made 2 thirty second clips to give one the idea of today's interpretative song and dance routines.  This is the same on most of the ships today. I found this academic critique in a trade magazine. Found these stage productions on cruise ships a modern through back to the 19th century. Absolutely no story line, just a lot of singing , dancing and acrobatics. Christopher Caggiano "It might surprise you to learn that for a long time — during most of the 19th century — songs and dances in musical productions were primarily decorative. The songs in the show may have been (inserted) standards or other popular songs of the day, regardless of whether or not they made any sense in the story. The dances may have been there to take up stage time, provide a mindless diversion, or give patrons their money’s worth in both eye candy and production value." https://dramatics.org/spark-of-creation/.